The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I have a high backed office chair on wheels with armrests. I play wearing a strap and sit up and out a bit while playing so the guitar never touches the arms. Plus I have a little extra padding that helps keep the guitar out a bit too

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I have an early 2000s Herman Miller Aeron office chair, which suits me for both purposes, as my home office is also my music room. The arms are removable with a hex wrench, but I just drop mine to their lowest position when I break out the guitar and that works well enough for me. Removing the arms requires removing the back of the chair (4 hex bolts), then two more bolts, one for each arm. So not an exercise you'd want to do regularly.

Austin
Old 10-30-2020, 08:59 AM

I use a Soundseat for both playing guitar and sitting at a small desk in my music room. Does the trick nicely for both. Soundseats are not inexpensive but they’re very nice.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Another thing you might try if you already have a nice chair that you like (and provided you can get the arms out of the way) ..... is the use of a guitar foot stool. I know these are more often used among classical players but they are really comfortable, tend to push the seated player to use the left (if you are right handed) leg rather than the right - which is a much better position for posture, breathing, hand position etc. - more correct body position is why more classically trained players tend to use them I suppose.

Anyway, I never even knew they existed until ab out 5 years ago and I got one for much cheaper than a chair and I have had great luck with it,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion