The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Default Learning finger style . . . Update

Feels something like this . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (24.5 KB, 336 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 07:25 PM

I know how you feel. A couple years ago I snapped a tendon in my right thumb. They attached a tendon from my index finger to my thumb to help fix it, but I can no longer fully lift my thumb all the way. It makes learning to play classical/fingerstyle exceptionally difficult at times. Frustrating is an understatement.

Learning to play classical has been great physical therapy, that's for sure!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:07 AM

Cool

You can get punchy funk tones wearing those.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM

I got a chuckle out of that photo. I'm learning Finger Style myself after an entire lifetime of flat picking. Some days it seems as if my fingers have become unconnected from my brain. Of course, that's the ultimate goal, to make it automatic. But for now I have to think about it. I guess it's just practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I got a chuckle out of that photo. I'm learning Finger Style myself after an entire lifetime of flat picking. Some days it seems as if my fingers have become unconnected from my brain. Of course, that's the ultimate goal, to make it automatic. But for now I have to think about it. I guess it's just practice, practice, practice.
You have the right attitude! I made the switch almost 4 years ago now, progress has been slow but steady. After several months of floundering around trying to learn songs beyond my ability I realized that I needed a teacher to improve my technique. I remember telling him at the beginning that I expected it would take about 5 years to become somewhat proficient. Now I know why he gave me a funny look

As a side benefit my flat picking and understanding of theory has improved, too.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:47 PM

I'm no expert by any means, but I started with Travis picking, and I think that helped transition into using all my fingers. Might be worth a shot!
Teton STG105CENT
Recording King RK-R35 (banjo)
Looking for my next one!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:09 PM

Pay GuitarNick's website a visit. Some great tabs to help you get going. Nothing to hard and there is plenty of room for improv.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
Pay GuitarNick's website a visit. Some great tabs to help you get going. Nothing to hard and there is plenty of room for improv.
GuitarNicks is a great resource. He has easy versions and full on finger style version arrangements. The video work and backing tracks are excellent. There is a pile of free content but I am a Patreon member so I can give back to someone who has supplied so much good stuff.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:41 PM

Hi, just wondering why all the Travis Picking lessons have you using thumb and three fingers when Merle himself used only his thumb and index finger.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider57 View Post
Hi, just wondering why all the Travis Picking lessons have you using thumb and three fingers when Merle himself used only his thumb and index finger.
Because you can't do banjo rolls with just the index finger.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-07-2020, 09:17 PM

Sorry, just don't see the connection. If anyone wants to learn Travis Picking it should be taught using thumb and index finger like Merle himself did.
If you want to do a banjo roll then you learn how to do a banjo roll.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Sorry, just don't see the connection. If anyone wants to learn Travis Picking it should be taught using thumb and index finger like Merle himself did.
If you want to do a banjo roll then you learn how to do a banjo roll.
Sure, but learning banjo rolls doesn't happen overnight. If you are used to using the 3 fingers then learning them is faster. You don't have to use all three though, its up to you.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-07-2020, 10:48 PM

Ok, maybe I should reword my question. Why are lessons called Travis Picking using thumb and three fingers when he only used thumb and index finger. In my opinion it's not Travis Picking unless it's being taught with just the thumb and index finger. He didn't play with three fingers.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Ok, maybe I should reword my question. Why are lessons called Travis Picking using thumb and three fingers when he only used thumb and index finger. In my opinion it's not Travis Picking unless it's being taught with just the thumb and index finger. He didn't play with three fingers.
What gets called Travis Picking is a style used by players who were heavily influenced by Merle Travis. Its hallmarks are bass alternating between two or three strings and played with the thumb and melody played simultaneously to that on the upper strings. I don’t know for sure but I suspect it might have gotten its name to distinguish it from Carter picking, which is maybe the other main style of country guitar.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi HDR-57

Not all do. Now I'm going down some rabbit trails…

Thom Bresh (Merle's son and accomplished player) certainly makes the distinction…and he is a thumb-n-three finger player who can drop back and play thumb-n-one like his dad. In his first instructional Travis video, he taught all about thumb-n-one, and then had issues while recording not reverting to thumb-n-three.

Thom would agree with you, and he has newer video lessons which focus on the uniqueness of thumb-n-one finger playing versus other styles.

There are also players like Mark Hanson who play thumb-n-two fingers versus the Pete Huttlinger fans (and tons of others) who play thumb-n-three fingers.

Chet Atkins played thumb-n-two early on and later in life moved to thumb-n-three.

Pat Donohue (Would You Like To Play The Guitar writer) moves back and forth between thumb-n-two and thumb-n-three as it suits his fancy and empahses. When he's punctuating parts, he plays these great thumb-n-two finger 'stabs' which just reach out and assault you (in a friendly way).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write