The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM

Exclamation First Build Screw-Up - Troubleshooting

Hi all -

My Background: I'm amidst drafting plans and securing woods / tools for my first acoustic build. While acoustics are new to me, I have experience making electric guitars (I have built a PRS Custom 24 from scratch no problem). I would classify my woodworking skills as "advanced", so am comfortable going to great lengths in my troubleshooting.

The Project: A Martin OM 45 Deluxe-style guitar. Total blow-out build with perfling/binding/inlays to the max (without becoming gaudy), highly figured wood choice and top Adirondack spruce for the top. Claro walnut backs and sides with a flame maple strip down the back center (~1" in width)

The Problem: After purchasing a billet (highly figured, incredible grain claro walnut; 21" x 7.75" x 2.75"; $450) to fashion my back and sides from, I realized the billet was too short for sides! Convention for a 000-style guitar is ~33" of siding.

I see a few paths forward, but thought I would ask the community which seems most realistic. Here I present my thinking in terms of decreasing excitement to pursue:

1. Incorporate a "tail piece" to bridge the gap where the 2 sides fall short. The tail piece would be mitered into the flame maple strip down the back of the guitar, and seamless with the bindings. See these links for my inspiration:

http://www.bounsallguitarworks.com/about/ (note that my build will have a flame maple strip down the center similar to this build, really leaning towards this since I feel strongly about continuing to use the billet I purchased)
http://www.sobellguitars.com/brazili...wood-for-sale/

2. Still craft the guitar backs from this billet, but buy a new billet for SIDING ONLY

3. Use the billet for other aspects of the guitar? (neck? headstock veneer? any recommendations?)

4. Burn the billet

Thanks in advance and curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on what is doable!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:16 PM

#1 is a question of aesthetics. If it appeals to YOU, go for it. (It doesn't appeal to me.)

If it were me, I'd buy another billet for sides, #2.

Making a neck from it isn't a very economical choice, cutting up highly figured (rare) 7-1/2" wide wood to make a 3" wide neck. If you want to do that, I'd start with material that is about 3" wide: it's easier to find narrower pieces in highly figured wood than wide pieces with good, consistent figure. If your piece has good consistent figure across its width, it would be a shame to chop that up into 3" wide pieces.

If you are going to make it a "total blow-out", I'd use matching flamed maple bindings.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:30 AM

Hold the billet aside - it is choice and will find a place in your future.

For your first acoustic guitar, buy a set of mahogany back / side cuts and work with that. Using super-rare or expensive ($450?) wood for a first guitar is wasteful - you will make, and fix, many mistakes in the course of learning this wonderful skill set.

The claro walnut can serve as enticement to complete your first guitar and offer a glimpse of the future.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 AM

Buy a billet for sides, definitely. For an OM, you need 4" wide by 29 1/2" long, minimum. I would get a piece close to the same thickness as the back billet, since it should yield 5 or 6 backs. Then sell the sets you don't want for a profit. The resaw I bought in 1990 is an income machine.

Last edited by John Arnold; 10-17-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Acquire sides of the right dimensions, of course.

Also, attempting style 45 on your first build is ill advised. It is genuinely challenging and stressful enough to induce a heart attack. I have done it several times, and do not want to do it again.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Buy a billet for sides, definitely. For an OM, you need 4" wide by 29 1/2" long, minimum. I would get a piece close to the same thickness as the back billet, since it should yield 5 or 6 backs. Then sell the sets you don't want for a profit. The resaw I bought in 1990 is an income machine.
John -

Thanks for the great suggestion, I had not considered resawing and selling. I have a potential second Claro Walnut billet (with matching high quality grain) I can purchase for a *pretty penny* that would make beautiful matching side sets.

Could the resawing be accomplished on a quality bandsaw? Or do you think I'd need specialized equipment for it? Any suggestions for "dos and don'ts" of resawing?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:19 PM

I'd buy separate side wood. Probably here:

https://gobywalnut.com/

I have an Agazzani resaw bandsaw with some nice guides. As noted, an income machine.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I'd buy separate side wood. Probably here:

https://gobywalnut.com/

I have an Agazzani resaw bandsaw with some nice guides. As noted, an income machine.
I'm familiar with Goby, they've got quite the collection. Definitely intend to buy another piece of separate side wood, but unfortunately not a single one of Goby's billets matches the figure and quality of the billet I'm considering from another source. Moreover, the billet from this other source has the "siding" billet that comes from the same cut of the same tree so aesthetically speaking: unmatchable.

Any advice you have on best sites to sell resawn sets would be appreciated!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:51 AM

Your option #2.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:46 PM

Went with option 2! Ordered the side billet - thanks to all who left comments. Will have a couple sets of highly figured Claro Walnut for sale soon, stay tuned!
Old 10-19-2020, 03:46 PM

This should be interesting! Resawing wood is like opening a mystery box.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedOne View Post
Hold the billet aside - it is choice and will find a place in your future.

For your first acoustic guitar, buy a set of mahogany back / side cuts and work with that. Using super-rare or expensive ($450?) wood for a first guitar is wasteful - you will make, and fix, many mistakes in the course of learning this wonderful skill set.

The claro walnut can serve as enticement to complete your first guitar and offer a glimpse of the future.
I agree with this post. The odds are high that you will need to buy another set of slats to bend because the first build is more of a "learning experience" fraught with many mistakes and complications. Best to start with a nice straight grained set of EIR or black walnut IMO. On my first I was told to use mahogany but broke one slat and bent THREE left sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic, design plans, martin, mistake, troubleshoot