The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-13-2020, 09:28 AM

Default songs with slow tempo for beginners

Hey all,

I've recently started learning to play the guitar, about 5 months ago (started in quarantine as I suspect many others did too). I'm making slow progress and struggling a bit with speeding up chord changes. I'm trying to learn easy songs as that is more fun and rewarding then just working on chord exercises, but it's frustrating to have to practice slower versions of songs. For example right now I'm working on Bad Moon Rising and my transition from A to G is slow so I'm playing it at around 65-70bpm. It's frustrating because the song just doesn't very good at that tempo (in my opinion). When I search the internet for easy beginner songs to learn, the recommendations are always based on the chords involved, and not the speed of the song.

Does anyone know any good beginner songs that are actually written in a slower tempo so that it is easier to play along with the recordings? I'm open to pretty much any genre (just preferably popular songs, so that I might know them).

thanks!

(and apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, I couldn't really find anything searching a few forums).
Old 10-13-2020, 09:35 AM

Try the beautiful song....Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny or the Chris Issac classic Wicked Game.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 AM

https://www.justinguitar.com/

I often play songs slower than the recordings.
"Have you ever seen the rain?" I play real slow.

How about "Knocking on heavens door"?
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For example right now I'm working on Bad Moon Rising and my transition from A to G is slow so I'm playing it at around 65-70bpm.
Here's something you might want to try for this song to make the transition easier, and faster:
The song starts in D, and then goes to A and G for a few beats only. That's probably what's tripping you up. Try this:
When you play the A from the D, just play the A with a mini bar of your index finger, covering all 3 strings on the 2nd fret, and then grab the bottom notes of the G chord with your middle and ring finger. (Your index finger is already on the 2nd fret 3rd string when playing the D chord. You just need to flatten it out to play strings 4 and 2 for the A).
You really don't need to play the high E string notes for the A and G chords to get the familiar groove of that song. For the A, you just need to strum strings 5, 4, 3 and 2. For the G, strings 6, 5, 4 and 3, before getting back to D.
If you do that, you'll find that you not only are making a faster transition from chord to chord, but you'll make it sound better too.
Worth a try.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-13-2020, 12:14 PM

thanks Riverwolf, I forgot about knocking on heaven's door and it looks like the chords are pretty easy so that's a great one that I'll add to the list.

Tahitijack, I'm not familiar with those but I just listened to sleepwalk on YouTube and you're right, it's a beautiful song, thanks for the rec!

AndreF, it's funny you mention that. A to G is the tough part and I actually found a video on YouTube last night talking about the 1 finger A chord. I'm definitely going to try practicing that this week, it seems like it should certainly make that transition faster if I can get it down. thanks!

Last edited by captain_jack; 10-13-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: corrected typo.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:55 PM

He's Got the Whole World in His Hands....C to G
Worried Man
In The Pines
Amazing Grace

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Etc...
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM

Its been played to death, but Martgaritaville might fit the bill. Most people (of an age to know Bad Moon Rising) know the lyrics enough that it helps to sing it as you play.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Neil Young: Helpless (similar to Knocking on Heaven's Door, but 3 chords and slower).

One I sometimes use with my beginners is Kindling by Elbow:

Same 3 chords as Helpless: D, G and A.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Thanks all! Margaritaville could be a fun one to try. I'm not familiar with some of the other songs but I'll definitely give them a listen.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:38 AM

The Amazing Slower Downer is an App for the Ipad that will slow down any song as much as you like and still maintan the pitch.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Came across another one this morning.
"Sound of Silence" Am, C, F and G.
I actually learned it first in the key of G. - Em, G, C, D.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:14 PM

I forgot - the one I started with was Take Me Home, Country Roads. Fun because if you're a certain age, eberyone knows the lyrics.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I forgot - the one I started with was Take Me Home, Country Roads. Fun because if you're a certain age, eberyone knows the lyrics.
Great song to learn and play early on and forward.
Agreed.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:03 PM

Beginner here too. One of my favs is "Drunken Sailor" usually played fast but it is two chords Em and D. Slow it down and later you can speed it up
Old 10-16-2020, 11:56 PM

FREEBIRD!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write