The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Any Thoughts on the Mule Mavis?

Good Morning All,
I have the opportunity to buy a Mule Mavis and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I love my mule resonator - it's my favorite, even over my nationals, so i am sure i will like the Mavis, but I am a bit nervous.

thanks,
--mike

[URL="https://www.muleresophonic.com/products/21799-mavis-mule"]
Old 09-08-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomastino View Post
Good Morning All,
I have the opportunity to buy a Mule Mavis and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I love my mule resonator - it's my favorite, even over my nationals, so i am sure i will like the Mavis, but I am a bit nervous.

thanks,
--mike

[URL="https://www.muleresophonic.com/products/21799-mavis-mule"]
The functional link: MAVIS Mule

The image from that web page, embedded:

Old 09-08-2020, 10:06 AM

Like the look.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

It's a brand new model, pretty sure they've only made like 10 of those so far so I don't think you'll have much luck finding someone who has played one. They do look cool though.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:27 AM

FWIW that picture looks like a 13 fret neck join and I consider that to be a plus. When I play slide, it is placed on my pinky finger. Getting to the 12th fret easily is part of slide playing, especially in open tunings.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't hesitate if you want one. At its core it's resonator. And we know how well they know resonators... Short of a "Fine Resonators" from France, it could be the best company out there. And saying that is hard as I'm a National-phile!

Having said that, if I were looking at one of these, and wasn't intent on building a "mule collection", I would look at some of the competition. The National Resolectric (wood solidbody), and National RP1 (metal thinline hollowbody). Both have pretty much the same pickups so it's a matter of what body you like. Neck P90 lollar, highlander biscuit.

If you do want a mule collection, (and believe me I am fully behind the idea!) go for it!

If not, the advantage of looking at the Nationals is that you can find used ones. I got my Resolectric Revolver for $1,500.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:08 AM

Default Mavis

I'm really curious about them as well. I saw a demo of Matt Eich playing one and liked the sound. However, with electrics, I never know how much of the sound that I like is the specific amp that the person is using and how much is the guitar. As someone else said, I doubt that you will find many people who have played on one. I'm still trying to figure out how get my hands on one of his brass guitars to try and have gotten nowhere in nine months!

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious about how you found someone selling a Mavis.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangil View Post
I'm really curious about them as well. I saw a demo of Matt Eich playing one and liked the sound. However, with electrics, I never know how much of the sound that I like is the specific amp that the person is using and how much is the guitar. As someone else said, I doubt that you will find many people who have played on one. I'm still trying to figure out how get my hands on one of his brass guitars to try and have gotten nowhere in nine months!

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious about how you found someone selling a Mavis.
They are a small boutique builder. You see a used one for sale online that is they type you want, buy it. You are highly unlikely to ever "try and buy". Not impossible if you have a crazy guitar store near you, like Dusty Strings in Seattle or Griffon in the Bay Area. I don't know the great stores in other areas of the Country.

Considering everything about Mules, it's amazing that their base/starting price is closer to $3,500 than $4,000.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments