The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I looked at this thread because I disn't understand the question.

Now that I have read all the responses, I understad far less.

Here be dragons! Witchcraft! Get me outta here!
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Not software as such, but a website. Soundslice. It lets you sync audio or video to scrolling tab. So instead of having to listen to synthesised sounds whilst playing back a loop on say Guitarpro, you can listen to the actual audio or video you are learning from ....so you’re getting the actual phrasing not the Guitarpro (or other software) phrasing.

Takes a couple of hours to learn your way around but really useful. And free!

If anyone is interested, I can share a few tips on how to get started (no affiliation).
Old 10-23-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Another big fan of Amazing Slow Downer, it’s a huge help for me in learning the fine nuances of advanced solo fingerstyle arrangements when I have access to a representative performance.

I have Transcribe on my laptop and I’ve never gotten around to trying it out. Need to do it to see what more it brings to the table than ASD.

Other softwares I will use are Reaper for a DAW and TabEdit for creating notation from tab.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
For years I read here how members used Transcribe! and other software that slows down mp/video files for play back. Finally last year I broke down and got Transcribe!
Really neat stuff for an old fat fingered guy to have. I'm using it now to learn a new piece and I can slow the thing down to listen, then play it myself, go back listen again etc. What I really like is how easy it is to have a section looped so you can have the playback on auto pilot as you play a section over and over again.
You can do the same thing in Audacity. I sometimes use Audacity to record off the internet (use Auto Loop or What You Hear).
If I want to loop a part then select: Transport - Play Region - Lock and then select: Transport - Playing - Loop Play.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 AM

I love using riffstation, it's a shame fender pulled it from circulation. Recently bought song surgeon, it looks similar, haven't installed it as I'm waiting on new laptop to arrive first.

Riffstation analyzes any mp3 and shows the chords as they are being played, I can slow down the tempo and change the pitch so it's great for playing along to songs in the key you want and the speed you want.

It's not perfect with it's chord analysis so wouldn't recommend it for beginner, but I'm intermediate and when it suggests a chord that's clearly not correct, I'm knowledgeable to guess what it should have suggested.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I'm a long time user of the Amazing Slow Downer.

I'd be curious to others opinions who have used ASD as well as some of the other apps that slow down songs to help you learn them...

GuitarPro is also handy!
Amazing SD was the first music program I found usefull, but I moved over to Music Speed Changer, does everything ASD does and easier to use, I have it on a handy tablet and it's free.
I have found Musicnotes usefull , I can buy scores, select a passage but it's a real drawback that there is no loop facility and some usefull features are lost on a tablet.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 10-24-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 AM

I use software on a desktop computer to learn from recordings. A long time ago, I used Sound Forge because I had a free copy. Nowadays, I use Audacity, because it covers all my needs and it’s free.

My needs are few, though: slowing down the music at the same pitch and without too much distorsion and selecting and looping sections. The latter is incredibly useful as it allows me to isolate and identify single notes in arpeggios or in fast runs. It often works for entire chords, too.

Another feature of Audacity and I think all similar software lets you change the pitch of the recording without changing the speed. This is useful when you don’t want to tune the guitar up or down a quarter step or whatever to match the recording. In that case, I change the pitch of the whole recording before I slow down individual sections.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:14 AM

Finale (music notation)

GarageBand (recording)

iMovie (videos)
Old 10-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Guitar Toolkit is good for creating chord charts. I have it for the iPad though I think there is a Mac version too.

Like others said Musescore is good for writing out a tune. Good for transposing to a different key as well.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I love using riffstation, it's a shame fender pulled it from circulation. Recently bought song surgeon, it looks similar, haven't installed it as I'm waiting on new laptop to arrive first.

Riffstation analyzes any mp3 and shows the chords as they are being played, I can slow down the tempo and change the pitch so it's great for playing along to songs in the key you want and the speed you want.

It's not perfect with it's chord analysis so wouldn't recommend it for beginner, but I'm intermediate and when it suggests a chord that's clearly not correct, I'm knowledgeable to guess what it should have suggested.
I'll second the vote for Riff Station. It was yanked from production with notes it was going to come back bigger and better ... and nada.

But ...

I am using the old free version and it's a fantastic product. I see nods here for both the Amazing Slow Downer (which the free Riff Station sort of does) and for Reaper. Both used to be free.

I do agree about the chord analysis on Riff Station but it can get you into the neighborhood ... or at least the zip code ... of a song's structure.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-25-2020, 02:36 PM

I also use Amazing Slow Downer and it is quite impressive how natural it sounds even after changing the pitch or speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
Thank you for this thread. I'm oblivious to technology.

Is there an app or program that can read/play a score and slow it down for my liking?
If you mean actually look at an image/pdf of sheetmusic and be able to play it, I believe PhotoScore & NotateMe Ultimate and SmartScore X2 Pro do that. They are quite expensive though.
Teton STG105CENT
Recording King RK-R35 (banjo)
Looking for my next one!

Last edited by nazump; 10-25-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not a software solution exactly but the absolute best investment I've made in the last couple of years is buying a yearly subscription to emastered.com Wow! For home recording enthusiasts who are flummoxed by the mastering process this service is absolutely amazing. Send them a raw sound file of something you've recorded and in a minute or two they have cleaned up levels, subtle compression and limiting, equalization, and made your recording sound totally professional. Unlimited mastering for a year! I've used it for about 50 recordings (so far) done with my Spire and the results are incredible. Highly, highly recommended!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write