The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. JMHO, of course.
For that price, you would think it would at least come with a cushion?
Old 10-29-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

I meant to say in my post earlier in this thread that I bought a Soundseat many years ago in the very early days of the company and had quite a few great phone conversations with JR prior to his passing some years later. I liked mine so much that I bought another one for my good friend and luthier Jamie Kinscherff. Both of our Soundseats have our names embroidered on the face of the backs.

While I still love it for home playing, it's a bit too much for me to want to haul back and forth to gigs, so me and my duo partner use the Costco shop seats that I posted a link to in my earlier post on this thread.

So glad that JR's widow is carrying on the business, and that many people love the chairs that he designed.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 10-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm 6’2” with a 34” inseam and I use the shortest piston for my SoundSeat. I bought wheels on Amazon for it and I have the foot ring. It looks silly low, but my knees are 90 degrees and my back is straight. I play blues, fingerstyle, and Slack Key with a NeckUp on my right thigh and use a Sagework Barnett lift on my left thigh for classical. It's one of my best purchases and bought it used off a local AGf’er. It looks brand new and can't imagine not using it today.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
After about a year with my SoundSeat, I felt the “lift” wasn’t quite the perfect height for me. (I like feet just a tick higher than dead-flat)
I called up SoundSeat and ordered a slightly longer hydraulic lift (I think it was about $35 or so)
-Height is perfect now!
How hard was it to change the piston? I've considered ditching the ring and plate and going "both feet on the ground" style.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
I'm pretty sure Brian would pick up a chair cushion at Wally World to include with your purchase if you wanted to purchase a Sonus.

I stopped in his shop many years ago when he was still located in Berea, Kentucky. He's a true artist, and his work reflects it.

I'm on Thomas Moser's mailing list so I also enjoy checking out their offerings. Their last e-mail featured a wall clock that was pretty much a single board with a arch carved in it and a clock movement added. It was a little shy of $1000, so might be a good match to put on the wall behind your new Sonus Musician's Chair.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm pretty sure Brian would pick up a chair cushion at Wally World to include with your purchase if you wanted to purchase a Sonus.

I stopped in his shop many years ago when he was still located in Berea, Kentucky. He's a true artist, and his work reflects it.

I'm on Thomas Moser's mailing list so I also enjoy checking out their offerings. Their last e-mail featured a wall clock that was pretty much a single board with a arch carved in it and a clock movement added. It was a little shy of $1000, so might be a good match to put on the wall behind your new Sonus Musician's Chair.
If the clock comes with PB .013's on it, I'm in.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:58 PM

What I tell people is that the best non-instrument related guitar purchase I've ever made was a SoundSeat. I can't say enough good things about that seat. If you've got the coin, do your rump a favor. It will thank you!!
Old 10-30-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Or the guitar LOL
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
How hard was it to change the piston? I've considered ditching the ring and plate and going "both feet on the ground" style.
I am glad you asked about difficulty changing the piston. I thought it was not a very smooth operation at all!

Maybe I was doing it wrong or lack of experience, I ended up using a fairly decent sized hand mallet to help “dislodge” matters when internet instructions said it should be easy.

I almost sought help from an office furniture supply company here, but eventually succeeded. It should have been easier.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Currently use a RocnSoc guitar stool ... motorcycle style seat, great “just right” cushioning ... paired with an adjustable foot rest (a la Amazon), this combo works great for me.
I can see a day where I might get a SoundSeat, given the endorsements here I have no doubt it would be an upgrade, but that’s part of my “future studio” plan ... a plan that my current domicile will not quite support ...
Old 01-15-2021, 10:25 AM

I just traded in a stimulus check for a new SoundSeat. It's as good as I was led to believe by all the posts about it on AGF.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
I am glad you asked about difficulty changing the piston. I thought it was not a very smooth operation at all!

Maybe I was doing it wrong or lack of experience, I ended up using a fairly decent sized hand mallet to help “dislodge” matters when internet instructions said it should be easy.

I almost sought help from an office furniture supply company here, but eventually succeeded. It should have been easier.
Oh hey, I can chime in here now. I ended up getting the replacement piston. I didn't find it too difficult to hammer off. The whole operation took less than 15 minutes. I made the wife hold it while I hit it with the hammer. I put the new piston on and all was good. Until I then proceeded to drop the old piston onto my bare (socked) foot. Severe bruising and internal bleeding followed and I'd thought I had broken my foot. But, turns out I didn't. It's still bruised and a little sore two weeks later. Moral of the story, don't do work like this without shoes on!

That said, I really like my feet flat on the floor and should have ordered it that way from the start. I could have skipped the foot rail and the foot plate too.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crw View Post
I just traded in a stimulus check for a new SoundSeat. It's as good as I was led to believe by all the posts about it on AGF.
Which type did you order? Let us know how you like it. It's the most comfortable seat for playing. And my back and legs don't get hot like they did on a cheap vinyl stool.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:44 AM

It was the regular seat with the larger back, foot ring, and foot plate. Once I got the adjustable things adjusted, it is the most comfortable chair for playing guitar I have ever sat in. By a long shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion