The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 08:50 PM

Default A tale of two (sets of) strings

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... 2020 indeed!

One highlight of this crazy year so far has been doing some video-chat guitar tutorials with a couple of my wife's brothers who are both beginners on the instrument. Last week I thought it might be helpful to show them how I change strings on a guitar. Yes, I know there are plenty of good YouTube videos out there, but I wanted them to be able to see it in real time and have the ability to ask questions and what not.

So during our call, I swapped the Elixir phosphor bronze strings on my Taylor out for some D'Addario EXP phosphor bronze and talked them through the process while showing them the basics. After our video chat ended, I was still in a string-changing kind of mood, so I decided to take the Elixir phosphor bronze strings off my Martin D-18 and try something new: D'Addario nickel bronze strings.

I should clarify — new to the D-18. I've tried the nickel bronze strings on my Taylor dreadnought several times and they sound great on that guitar. They mellow out some of the inherent brightness, particularly in the midrange and treble. I don't want to say it gives the Taylor a vintage flavor, but those strings point my 210 more in that direction than anything else I've tried.

Since I have liked them so much on the Taylor, I was curious to try the nickel bronze on the D-18. First impression: okay, this kinda mellows out the D-18 too — makes it sound a little more like vintage D-18s I've played. Second and third impressions: I'm not sure this is the vintage D-18 sound I'm after — sounds more old and worn out than vintage.

The more I played the D-18 with the nickel bronze strings, the more I was questioning my decision. I was even starting to second-guess how I'd managed to fall in love with dozens of D-18s in music shops over a course of five or six years before Santa came through with one to keep at home. After about a week of giving the strings a shot, I decided enough was enough, and off they came. At the risk of a second string mistake, I tried another set I don't believe I've tried on the D-18.

I had a set of phosphor bronze Martin strings — just a plain, uncoated set — in my string stash and decided to give those a whirl. I haven't played Martin strings much. I think the guitar came with coated Martin strings in medium, which I removed before too long to go down to light gauge D'Addario phosphor bronze. I've mostly rotated between the coated and uncoated versions of those strings for the past couple years, but I hadn't put Martin strings on this guitar — or any of my others as far as I could remember.

After getting the guitar all re-strung and tuned up. with the Martin strings, one strum was all I needed. Magic. THIS was the D-18 sound I fell in love with and the reason I bought the guitar in the first place. There was an unmistakable rumble in my chest from the bass on an open G chord. Deep, full, piano-like bass. Rich, warm midrange. Clear, crisp trebles. I must have been visibly smiling ear to ear after putting these strings on and both hearing and feeling the clear difference.

I had to check the next day to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Nope. Sounded fantastic. What a night and day difference between the two sets of strings! I don't think I would have expected that. I don't think I'd have had the same reaction replacing the Elixirs with the Martin strings — I know it must have been the contrast of the duller-sounding nickel bronze with the more crisp and dynamic range of the phosphor bronze Martin strings that had me shaking my head. I wonder if I'd have had the same reaction with D'Addario EJ16s, or if there really is just something special about the Martin strings on this guitar.

I've never been overly picky or particular about strings — I have a few brands and types of strings I gravitate towards, both in general and for each of my guitars, and I do find I light light gauge for all my guitars — but this was the first time I can remember just downright disliking a set of strings and replacing them after a week. It's also one of the rare instances where I've been completely captivated by a new set of strings — typically I don't care for the new string sound and prefer the tone a week or two later.

Anyway, the TLDR: I now know that it's best to pass on nickel bronze for the D-18 and that phosphor bronze strings — particularly this Martin set, from what I can tell — are a far, far better choice for the sound I love from this guitar!
Old 10-29-2020, 09:19 PM

I can relate to this very type of situation. It seems you can just tell almost right away that a set of strings are not the right choice for a particular guitar. My most recent example is the set of Santa Cruz Medium Tension strings I put on my AD17e Blacktop. Treated strings, $18 a set, seemed to be widely recommended. I hoped they would last a while at the price I paid. Sounded pretty good the first day, and worse each day after. After one week I couldn’t take it any more. Coincidently with your original post, the strings I put on that guitar to replace the Santa Cruz mediums were the D’Addario Nickel Bronze Mediums! Right away I could tell it was a better fit for this guitar, and several days in they are getting better by the day. Never know unless you try, right?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 PM

Default A tale of two (sets of) strings

Thanks Ataylor! Is this the Martin strings that you used? I still have a spare set that came free with my 00-15m. Currently using D’Addario NB on my 00-15m and Yamaha CSF3M.

Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
I can relate to this very type of situation. It seems you can just tell almost right away that a set of strings are not the right choice for a particular guitar. My most recent example is the set of Santa Cruz Medium Tension strings I put on my AD17e Blacktop. Treated strings, $18 a set, seemed to be widely recommended. I hoped they would last a while at the price I paid. Sounded pretty good the first day, and worse each day after. After one week I couldn’t take it any more. Coincidently with your original post, the strings I put on that guitar to replace the Santa Cruz mediums were the D’Addario Nickel Bronze Mediums! Right away I could tell it was a better fit for this guitar, and several days in they are getting better by the day. Never know unless you try, right?
I’ve never tried the Santa Cruz strings, but I’m not at all surprised your Taylor sounds good with the nickel bronze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Thanks Ataylor! Is this the Martin strings that you used?
Yep, those are the ones! I think I got them as an afterthought with an order of other string sets just to bump the number high enough to get free shipping. I will definitely be buying them again.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:30 AM

Nicolas Nickelbronze?
Our Mutual Fender?
Old 10-30-2020, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
... I wonder if I'd have had the same reaction with D'Addario EJ16s, or if there really is just something special about the Martin strings on this guitar....
Probably you would have had the same reaction. ALthough, there are slight differences in set gauges and possibly core wire gauges between the MA540 and EJ16 (and the Earnie Ball Earthwood medium/lights), which will give subtle differences in tone. But there will be nowhere near the difference you get from changing wrap type or shifting from coated to non-coated.

Matching specific strings to guitars is always a worthwhile project, and I have found that I end up not where I initially expected! On my 3 guitars, I have ended up with Martin monel strings on my parlour, D'Addario PBs on my 000 and Ernie Ball 80/20s on my dread. All the non-coated, basic sets from those manufacturers. So now I'm wary of saying "this set of strings is the best" as the guitar, your playing style, and the sound you like are so varied and individual.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion