The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Cedar over Monkeypod OM

I’m 10 coats in..tru oil. Hoping the cedar tones will blend together a little better but so far I like what I see. Anyone have any experience with these woods and what might be best as I near final coats? I probably will do 5 or 6 more I’d imagine and then a final. Steel wool, light final coat and then maybe hit it with wax?
IMG_1133.jpgIMG_1132.jpg
Old 10-23-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
I’m 10 coats in..tru oil. Hoping the cedar tones will blend together a little better but so far I like what I see. Anyone have any experience with these woods and what might be best as I near final coats? I probably will do 5 or 6 more I’d imagine and then a final. Steel wool, light final coat and then maybe hit it with wax?
Attachment 45608Attachment 45609

Ah thats some nice monkeypod ... I like how you attached the bridge prior to finishing and simply sealed it off, seems like an easier/better method than scoring out finish ... and you can glue the bridge right up to the edges as opposed to taping the area off.

Nice!

Nahil.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Ah thats some nice monkeypod ... I like how you attached the bridge prior to finishing and simply sealed it off, seems like an easier/better method than scoring out finish ... and you can glue the bridge right up to the edges as opposed to taping the area off.

Nice!

Nahil.
Thanks! I've never played Monkeypod before so I'm looking forward to hearing it, I know Larivee makes some monkeypod OM's but I've never played one.

Yeah, using tru oil it's easy to still get right up into those areas with everything attached (bridge, neck, etc). really no need to back track and score out finish.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Is that the same as acacia preta? I think Pono uses this quite a bit. Looks nice and I wonder how it fits in with other woods?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Is that the same as acacia preta? I think Pono uses this quite a bit. Looks nice and I wonder how it fits in with other woods?
Thanks!

Monkeypod (Albizia saman) back and sides
Western Cedar (Thuja plicata) top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair