The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 AM

Default Resonators: Be careful about removing/loosening all strings

This is a very informative video about replacing a cone on a resonator. I did not realize the possible issue from removing/loosening all strings...see 8:30 in this video.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:42 AM

Yeah. Definite lack of knowledge out there. Not surprising though. They look pretty much like any guitar.

I also never take the strings of just one side. If I need to take more than one string off for cleaning, I always balance the load, taking off either from both sides simultaneously, or just the middles. It's more of a problem on vintage ones, but even a modern one can crack or snap the tailpiece if you overload one side.

For personal safety, I also always use masking tape to hold strings in place in the tailpiece when restringing. They like to move and catch the ball on the edge of the hole. I had an "escapee" once while bringing a new string up to tension. Got super lucky and went nowhere my eyes or teeth. That's a "learn the lesson in one try" moment. Masking tape, attention, and a powered string winder is my recipe for a safe, zero frustration string change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments