The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Default Need Help with Soloing Techniques

All,

I need some advice from some fellow, more experienced guitarists. I am a 38-year-old professional who has played the guitar since I was 17. I played in a few "garage bands" in high school and college, but have never been very good at playing solos. Slash and Jimmy Page are my two favorite guitar players, and I'd love to learn how to play guitar solos like them. Of course, I'll never be as good as them...LOL. I watch videos of them playing really fast leads and am amazed at their dexterity, which is something I would love to develop. Could anyone offer any advise on how to improve my soloing skills? I know playing with others would help, but I just don't have time to do that with my work schedule. Are there any good DVDs or books that anyone could recommend that could help? Thanks!

Last edited by rjames1973; 04-11-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Needed to update title
Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Well, if you love Slash and Page, the minor pentatonic scale is gonna be a very good friend of yours.

I suggest learning the major scale as well, as the pentatonics are drawn from it, and it's the root of western music harmony...the single most important bit of knowledge a musician can have is a grasp of the major scale...but if you want a quick kick to get started, the minor pentatonic is where it's at for the music you enjoy.

You can start using that scale right away to solo, but it might take a bit before it sounds like more than noodling...sing the notes as you learn the scales, so you have a connection to your "inner voice." A good rock solo has hooks that are singable, a little flash, and interesting variations in rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write