The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Cool I felt REAL BAD for this kid......

Years ago,I entered a talent contest.There was this kid that entered,wrote his own song,played the 6 string-He was GOOD,too.We both made it thru the auditions;Saturday night,was the show-STANDING ROOM ONLY,held probly 3,000 people.I got out there,did my thing-Nervous??you BET........That other kid got out there,and LOCKED UP,made nary a sound...........I placed 2nd in that show,the poor kid that clammed up told me afterward"When that curtain opened and I seen everybody out there lookin at ME;THAT freaked me out".............Did me too,a little.
"MY guitars:20+yr old guild D-15 Mahogany.6 string,SWEET!! AND a Ibanez Exoticwood zebrawood jumbo 6-string,5 yrs.old;tasty!!My WANNA GETS??:a MARTIN D-45,or one of them sexy;upper class TAYLOR acoustic/electric 6-strings-now THATS what Im talkin about!!!..........."
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM

3000 people is a heck of a lot for a young guy to play infront of solo, especially with his own music. I've seen it happen in sports a lot, usually after they are told a scout is watching on the sidelines.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM

I call it the "fear beast". Sometimes I can keep it in a box, usually hammered in by a lots of nails from practice and prep. Other times, like yesterday, it comes out, and although I might get through the piece, its forced and not flowing as it should. With experience I seem to be able to deal with the beast more effectively but dang it can be tough sometimes. I just shake my head at those ice in the veins types that the best never seems to bother.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

I had this gig last night, at a pub near my house, lots of relatives and friends, around 100 people... and I was there, only with my soloamp, koa taylor, shure beta87, legs shaking...
It took me 4 chords to be kick that fear away and start enjoying that!
Once we do what we love, with lots of practice, and playing only the songs we master... piece of cake!

Enjoy the moment! I think this is the key for a good presentation!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Stage lights can be your best friend. We played to a crowd of 600 in a theater in Pittsburgh in Feb., and I felt more nervous doing soundcheck, when the house lights were on (I could see all the seats and had nobody but the crew from whom to draw energy), than when it was showtime and we walked on. The stage lights were so bright that we could barely see the front row, so I decided to make eye contact with one or two people. My first spoken intro line got good strong laughs, and all the nerves melted away; we rocked our set and got compliments from the headliners, the promoter, and from audience members out in the corridors and at the merch table the rest of the night.

I think it's really important, especially when you have a huge audience, to make the first move, no matter how scared you are. It breaks the ice on both sides of the stage, especially when the audience positively acknowledges your presence.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic