The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Default What chords for Am pent scale?

Hello, all. I'm a beginner and this is my very 1st post. I recently learned the Am pentatonic scale, and was wondering what key one would use this scale to? Or could it be used along with any key or chord progression? So, I guess a better way to ask is....do certain scales get played with certain keys? Thanks for the help, I've learned alot from lurking around here!

awpeeler(Tony)
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF, Tony! Lots of good stuff here...

Amin pentatonic is a great scale! Very versatile... now, you know, if you play that same scale 1/2 step higher up the fret board (that's one fret), you have a Bflatmin pentatonic... another 1/2 step up, and you have a Bmin, etc. etc...

So, Amin pentatonic can be used for an Amin blues, ANY song in the key of Cmaj, lots of songs in Gmaj, some songs in the key of Fmaj... like I said, very versatile!

It's a good thing to learn that pentatonic scale in a lot of different keys; you can have a lot of fun with that one! Remember, an Amin pentatonic is the SAME SCALE as a Cmaj, just with different starting points for the same notes. Amin is the "relative" minor of Cmaj... just a minor 3rd (3 frets) down from the C note. That should help you get around the fretboard a bit...

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the forum!

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Remember, an Amin pentatonic is the SAME SCALE as a Cmaj, just with different starting points for the same notes.
Well, not quite. The pentatonic scale has five different tones per octave and the major scale has seven. But the Amin pentatonic does have the same tones as the Cmaj pentatonic.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really interested in learning the theory behind this awesome instrument! And rest assured, I'll be posting more questions.
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Howard, although that may well have been what John meant. All the notes in an Am pentatonic can be found in a C major scale, but the reverse is not true.

It's a great scale and will sound good with any song in C. Try the Em pentatonic... also a good one on guitar, particularly with songs in G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write