The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Default Question for all the guitar teachers

What would you think is the most important skill to try and learn when someone first starts out? A friends son is just starting to play and asked me what he should practice the most. Since I'm not a guitar teacher I told him to take lessons right away before he starts to develop bad habits. I also said that I thought the biggest skill is playing in tune and in time. I told him to tune his guitar before he plays everytime so that his ear will learn what an in tune guitar sounds like and also to always practice with a metronome. Did I send him on the right course or should I have said something different?
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Well, first of all, how old is your friend's son?

Time is important, but it comes with time as well. You can't really expect a player to play in time if they can't fret 2 notes in succession cleanly. I focus on beginners playing notes cleanly, using right and left hand technique that doesn't "fight them." I want the hand to be playing the notes firmly as needed, but with as little pressure as possible--many beginners are "guitar stranglers." Time can be introduced though, in the simple counting or clapping of rhythms.

To me, that's the easiest place to develop bad habits quickly, so I like to set the course there right away.

Tuning by ear can be very hard for beginners--but if theyhave a tuner, I make sure they know how to use it. Part of that is, of course, knowing what the strings are tuned to anyway, so they're still getting helpful knowledge, not just learning to work a "machine."

And I'm sure there's some who will disagree with me, but if this is a child we're talking about, the teacher must be able to teach them to read music. Anything less is a disservice, and it's a piece of knowledge that will put them ahead of many others if they decide they want to get serious about music later on. Furthermore, it will help them in math class!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM

He is 10 or 11 yrs old and he has a tuner. I gave him one and showed him how to use it. He can play a few notes so he isn't a total beginner. He has been fiddleing around with the guitar for about a year. I gave hima Gretsch Americana for Christmas in 2009.
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I agree with Jeff. Teaching a beginner the importance of playing cleanly and reading music cannot be stressed enough.

I would also like to add the importance of learning the open position chords and developing a strong sense of rhythm. Start them out with some real easy, full tones ones like Em and get them strumming. They'll feel like they're playing a real song... even if it's just one chord in the beginning.

Another thing to show someone that age is finger exercises that are exciting and fun. Easy and fun? Yes. These can be in the form of well known phrases from some of their favorite guitar heroes. Nothing is cooler to a kid than being able to play one of these in front of a few of their friends. The right teacher can do this while having the student develop proper right and left hand techniques.

Both of these techniques will give the student a sense of accomplishment while adding the all important 'Fun' factor.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Guitar strangler, that was me, braced for impact.

Mr Beaumont, if Id known you Id have saved two years....oh well.

At least I didnt drop it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write