The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Default k&k pure mini vs lr baggs anthem

I have the k&k pure mini in all my guitars and I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard both of the pick ups and how do they compare to each other. I have read a lot of reviews of the lr baggs anthem and they are pretty good. I was thinking about having one put in the next guitar I buy. Just like to get some opinions. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:55 AM

I’m wanting to pull the K&K out of my W10ce and put the Anthem In it. I’ll be reading the opinions on here too.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 PM

If you perform alone through an amp or powered speakers, the K and K is a really nice natural-sounding way to go. It is a passive pickup though.If you play live with others you need a pre-amp IMHO.
The Anthem or Anthem SL both have a microphone as well as a UST and both have pre-amps built in. I find it the easiest pickup to get a natural tone out of with the least hassle.
I have the JJB (same as K and K) and the Anthem SL.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM

I have the anthem in 5 Collings. Sounds great. I love the ability to blend between pickups. I play out with them almost weekly.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:17 PM

I am also very interested in this VS !
Please write a review asap.
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks a lot for every ones thoughts on this. I think I will probably put one of the lr baggs in my next guitar.

Last edited by baw3; 09-02-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: change needed
Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
If you perform alone through an amp or powered speakers, the K and K is a really nice natural-sounding way to go. It is a passive pickup though.If you play live with others you need a pre-amp IMHO.
The Anthem or Anthem SL both have a microphone as well as a UST and both have pre-amps built in. I find it the easiest pickup to get a natural tone out of with the least hassle.
I have the JJB (same as K and K) and the Anthem SL.
+1

My gigging guitars all have JJB's but require a preamp. I had the Anthem SL in a guitar I traded in and i wish i had of removed it first. Great tone with minimal fuss.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

The K&K has zero effect on unplugged tone and volume. Can the same be truthfully said of the Anthem? I've never tried one, but I find it difficult to believe that a 'soft' UST doesn't degrade unplugged volume/tone, even if only to a lesser degree.

Does anyone have any experience they can relate? I ask because I'm also thinking of replacing the K&K in my HD or Lowden with an Anthem.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 09-02-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Add detail.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Tonewise-speaking only! (We will assume a pre-amp, either in the guitar or a pedal) is either of these two methods “generally” considered superior over the other? -Or is this “too close to call”??
Old 09-02-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The K&K has zero effect on unplugged tone and volume. Can the same be truthfully said of the Anthem? I've never tried one, but I find it difficult to believe that a 'soft' UST doesn't degrade unplugged volume/tone, even if only to a lesser degree.

Does anyone have any experience they can relate? I ask because I'm also thinking of replacing the K&K in my HD or Lowden with an Anthem.
The anthem is light weight. I can't see it effecting the tone.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspblues View Post
The anthem is light weight. I can't see it effecting the tone.
Thanks. It's not weight that concerns me though, it's the fact that the Anthem has, I believe, a 'soft' and flexible strip of material between the saddle and the bottom of the slot. It's the possible 'damping' effect of that strip on unplugged tone/volume, if any, that I'm enquiring about

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 09-02-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:18 PM

Having tried both (still have the K&K in my Larrivee), I would say that the Anthem is probably a better choice for plug and play situations. However, in terms of tone, the Anthem to me is quite hi-fi and despite the fact that the tru-mic is an amazing innovation, its tone is something I have struggled to get used to. The K&K on the other hand is warmer but a lot woodier. I always think the Anthem will cut through a mic better but the K&K feels more like an extension of the guitar where as the anthem feels like a pickup.

Here's the thing though, if you get the Tonedexter, I think the K&K becomes an even more appealing option. Not only is it passive and does not impact the tone of the guitar, but the Tonedexter will add in some air and high end presence that the K&K often lacks. I still argue that the TD sounds best with the K&K when the blend is something like 50/50. Too much blend and the sound becomes a bit hollow and thin.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It's not weight that concerns me though, it's the fact that the Anthem has, I believe, a 'soft' and flexible strip of material between the saddle and the bottom of the slot. It's the possible 'damping' effect of that strip on unplugged tone/volume, if any, that I'm enquiring about
Ah ok. There's nothing dampened about my tone. Crisp, clear, nice note separation, etc.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspblues View Post
Ah ok. There's nothing dampened about my tone. Crisp, clear, nice note separation, etc.
Thanks. Did you have the Anthem installed in the guitar? If so, did you hear any unplugged tonal/volume change resulting from the installation? USTs, especially those 'soft' Baggs ones, are thought by many to have an effect on unplugged tone - the only way to know for sure, of course, is by comparison of the guitar's tone pre- and post-installation.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Did you have the Anthem installed in the guitar? If so, did you hear any unplugged tonal/volume change?
On a few. Some i had installed before delivery. No change I noticed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification