The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Singing Courses

I've been playing along with .mp3's the past several months, and singing along with the songs. But I've determined that I really do need some help to get better with the singing part.
Has anyone used any of the "singing courses" that can be found online? I'm interested in "Singing Success" as well as some others, but would appreciate any feedback I could get online.
I may approach someone locally for lessons, but if the courses could be effective, it probably sure would save some money.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
happiness

I haven't tried any of the online courses, but I have tried a DVD - I can't remember the title, but it was by Homespun - and to be honest I found that I can make better progress with a teacher.

A teacher can give you direct immediate feedback, and can hear exactly what you need to change, and give you tailored guidance on how to do it. If money is an issue, perhaps a short, very focussed, course of lessons might be enough to set you on the right track?

Fliss
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Bob, I haven't taken or used any of the online singing approaches, but I have had the greast pleasure of working with 2 of the finest singing coaches, Ms. Theodora Verlyn and Ms. Judy Davis, both now deceased... RIP old girls!

Finding a good coach is really an incredible tool for the singer; unfortunately, nearly EVERY vocal "instructor" is gonna say they have the goods... and it doesn't always work out that way! If you find someone from whom you wish to take lessons, talk to as many of their students as you can. Try to discover what they learned from the coach, how they use it, what thoughts they have. You want to be clear on what YOU want to learn to sing, otherwise you might get into some operatic or "art" song classes. When I took from Theo, that was her "bent"... indeed sh'e worked with and trained many of the best singers on the planet, but much more geared towards the operatic than I ever planned to be! I did learn quite a great deal from her, nonetheless... so be wise in your choice of a coach.

As far as $$$ for lessons go, both of my coaches were willing to work things out with me... ended up just doing some odd jobs for Theo, and Judy had group classes at different levels for $12 a class, IIRC. Don't let money keep you from doing what you want to do!

good luck!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
PIT74827

What aspect of singing are you trying to better? Is it in coordination with the music, clarity, range, volume, inflection, etc?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 AM

look up brett manning... I have used his program and it's good.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM

As a vocalist, I can't recommend strongly enough to get SOME sort of interactive instruction. Like a guitar, vocal music requires technique. A vocal coach can teach you the mundane, ordinary mechanics of singing. While it may not be sexy, it will help you to get better. If nothing else, local church choirs are dying for singers-maybe not your gig, but will get some time on the pipes.

I'm not saying don't use the online "teachers." Rather, I'm saying that interactive instruction is more valuable, in my view.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Ok, so first off I am a terrible singer. I mean rotten, my family makes fun of me bad.

So I show up to my first guitar lesson in years, and tell the teacher that I cant sing, no hope, etc..... She players some notes are her guitar and asks me to match them with my voice. Guess what happened? I matched them, some I was off by an octave but off the same way every time. Every note was close, and consistent. She does not teach vocals, but then told me I could do something that 90% of her students could not, and that what I needed was a vocal coach, probably not alot of lessons, just enough to know where I was off at in my vocal register, and what exercises to use with a tuner to correct it. I did that, and it worked.

A year later I am beginning to sing at open jams and I dont suck. I am not great, but I dont suck. Now it is a matter of improving my vocal character not tone or pitch. So my advice is get a vocal coach, and not an online one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write