The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

That’s a gorgeous set of D. tuc…
Old 03-25-2023, 07:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
That’s a gorgeous set of D. tuc…
In the event of the guitar being less than optimal, there's no blaming the wood . . .
Old 03-25-2023, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
In the event of the guitar being less than optimal, there's no blaming the wood . . .
It will be the player. The instrument, build and wood look fantastic.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

The first coat of varnish on "Haasome's" (The FT-16's title) is dry enough to handle, so I carried it out to the back yard. Today makes two sunny days in a row, but there is yet another meaningful storm due on Tuesday. It is not yet PC in drought stricken California to curse the rain, but that moment is coming.

The guitar is a bit darker than these pictures suggest.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:50 AM

Such a beautiful piece of wood! I love dalbergia tucurensis, as much for the visual aspect as for its fragrance but especially for its sound! I have a nice John How built with a piece pretty close to this quality except for a center seam with some sapwood. I am very happy with my mahogany Schoenberg/Sexauer but if I had the means to order another one, custom made, this wood would come into very serious consideration, especially since the pieces you have left are just as desirable, although with still more visual "personality" !
Old 03-26-2023, 08:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadmac View Post
Such a beautiful piece of wood! I love dalbergia tucurensis, as much for the visual aspect as for its fragrance but especially for its sound! I have a nice John How built with a piece pretty close to this quality except for a center seam with some sapwood. I am very happy with my mahogany Schoenberg/Sexauer but if I had the means to order another one, custom made, this wood would come into very serious consideration, especially since the pieces you have left are just as desirable, although with still more visual "personality" !
D.tuc. is a slam dunk, sort of like H.mah. can be, but a bit towards rosewood in a good way. Sometimes it seems like cheating. I find it difficult to overbuild with, perhaps I never have, but I did underbuild with it once, which resulted in a bass heavy imbalance (just what the guy who eventually bought it was looking for). I think I have made between 40 and 50 guitars from D. tucurensis.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

This week I was contacted by a fellow who owns my 7th acoustic guitar, a 12 string built in +/-1981, originally for Anne Mortifee, who was well known in BC at that time. Her younger sister, Jane, is still campaigning a music career today, but I have lost contact with Anne. Joedy, the current owner, sent me some pictures, so I have made a page for the guitar on my site: HERE. It is no longer in playable condition, but he hopes to right that.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Interesting headstock logo. This could be fun.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

When I was younger I was pretty shy about my last name. Also, I spent a lot of time alone thinking of clever things to say and do, not unlike my current state of being. At that time I already recognized that the creative force was not coming from my conscious self, but something deeper. I then thought of that “force” as my muse, and decide to call my muse “Angelo Saxon” , and my guitars were therefore “What Angelo Saxon’s Producing”, or WASP for short. So the “W” on my early headstocks stands for Wasp, which was my first attempt at guitar logo recognition.

That may or may not seem fun, but for better or for worse, it is a true story. Needless to say, I moved on.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

What renders the #7 12-string unplayable? Is the owner going to send/bring it to you?

On a humorous note, it looks like it could be the poster-child for "expert relic-ing!" Either that or you were way ahead of the behind-the-times trend back in '81.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
What renders the #7 12-string unplayable? Is the owner going to send/bring it to you?

On a humorous note, it looks like it could be the poster-child for "expert relic-ing!" Either that or you were way ahead of the behind-the-times trend back in '81.
I have not seen this guitar since I delivered it in the early 80's. Joedy says it needs a neck set, bridge replacement, and and that the top is distorted to the point where it needs to be removed and ???. I do not know him well enough to trust his judgement, but I am pretty sure it is a lightly built instrument, and suspect it has lived its life. If a 12 string is as responsive as I remember his to be, 40 years is a very optimistic target. I did recommend a couple of techs in his neighborhood, which is Vancouver Island.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am cleaning and packing guitars for Artisan today. I only got one vote when I asked what you thought I should bring, and I am almost bringing what that person suggested.

1) My two year old OM-28ish in BRW/Euro. It seems pretty good to me, and I'll be in between Slobod and Brondel so it will allow some cohesion.

2) The new Red Narra FT-15-WRX, similar to the OM above, but entirely different, actually, an interesting comparison if you have the time.

3) The very recent Brazilian Rosewood JB-CN, which is flat out stellar. If you think I am over stating it, give it a whirl.

4) the BRW D-28ish Guitar I was asked to bring has 2 people considering it already, so I am bringing the AGF Dread I made a few years ago. It is a show stopper visually, and does not disappoint. Also, it is under half the price of the BRW version.

If you attend, please come by my table and say hello.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

That sounds like an AWESOME table of guitars…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I am cleaning and packing guitars for Artisan today. I only got one vote when I asked what you thought I should bring, and I am almost bringing what that person suggested.

1) My two year old OM-28ish in BRW/Euro. It seems pretty good to me, and I'll be in between Slobod and Brondel so it will allow some cohesion.

2) The new Red Narra FT-15-WRX, similar to the OM above, but entirely different, actually, an interesting comparison if you have the time.

3) The very recent Brazilian Rosewood JB-CN, which is flat out stellar. If you think I am over stating it, give it a whirl.

4) the BRW D-28ish Guitar I was asked to bring has 2 people considering it already, so I am bringing the AGF Dread I made a few years ago. It is a show stopper visually, and does not disappoint. Also, it is under half the price of the BRW version.

If you attend, please come by my table and say hello.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I had fun stopping at Bruces shop yesterday - I had to get a listen to his latest mahogany commission before it ships (he really needs to build more mahogany guitars - I know they aren’t as “cool” as the Brazilian or other exotics, but they sound SOO good!) and while I was there I got to play through the other options he was considering for the show. His final choices are really nice guitars - it’s kinda a shame a few of the other options won’t make it, but hopefully they go to La Conner.

I have to emphasize - the “couch noodler” is an amazing instrument, truly exceptional for any guitar, but for a smaller bodied guitar - just wow! The AGF dread is both exceptional to look at, but it is also a fantastic guitar, very balanced and powerful, so it’s not just a bluegrass guitar, but an excellent all-around instrument. And anyone who hasn‘t played one of Bruce’s Brazilian OM’s needs to stop and try that one - and if you have, the red narra OM is a unique looking guitar that is very mahogany-ish, but with a nice touch of the rosewood vibe -

Good choices all around - It’ll be interesting to see how many actually make it back to his shop after the show!
Old 04-07-2023, 06:20 AM

Good luck at Artisan Bruce! I so wish I could make the trip up there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop