The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-22-2022, 05:56 PM

Commissioning an instrument is very exciting, though I haven't done it for some time. I hope to get a six-course lute from Tony Johnson one of these days. http://tonyjohnsonluthier.co.uk/tony...o.uk/Home.html
Old 12-22-2022, 10:30 PM

Michael Kennedy fanned fret (for CGCGCD tuning)

Aboudib nylon

Giffen T-Deluxe (electric guitar)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I agree Juston. As an enthusiast, I'm really happy to be able to see what is in store for both the luthiers and their customers. Except Doug. The Bois de Rose he has picked out is akin to your 3 Kim Walkers. He's just showing off at this point.
And I’m sure there are others who share the sentiment that some of the most captivating threads on the forum are build-progress threads—they are like little mini-series. Every builder has his or her unique process, and seeing the guitars take shape is an endlessly fascinating thing to watch.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Halcyon Oak & Swiss Spruce OO
Old 12-23-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Oooh! I love Bois de Rose and that is a beautiful set. I am fortunate to have a red spruce and Bois de Rose Prairie Grass by Sparky Kramer that is quite stunning. Euro should be a great pairing with it.
Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne, I've been hoping to someday have a guitar built with legally harvested Bois de Rose. When I learned that Michel Aboudib had a few nice sets, I was pleased to reserve one for this upcoming build. Glad to hear that you have a nice one that you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Reminds me of my Mad rose (D.baronii) Taran 2021/2022

SRD_8789 by frankscousin, on Flickr
Yes, it is similar Frank. My understanding is that Bois de Rose (Dalbergia maratima) is from Madagascar and often has a distinctive purple or reddish color which I understand will darken under finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I agree Juston. As an enthusiast, I'm really happy to be able to see what is in store for both the luthiers and their customers. Except Doug. The Bois de Rose he has picked out is akin to your 3 Kim Walkers. He's just showing off at this point.
Ha Dan! I will be returning to the sidelines after this build to enjoy playing what I am blessed to own . I would tell you that Michel has a few more nice sets of Bois de Rose available, but adding another build with your Brazilian RW Wilborn and Wenge Buendia guitars already on tap...that would just be ostentatious.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don’t view anyone on this thread - having met a number of the participants in person - as showing off about how much money they have. It’s all about the enthusiasm for the guitars and the builders. I agree with you that it’s great that members of this community can help support the talented artists/builders that make these guitars.

The comments about showiness come up now and again, but I’m flabbergasted by them. You’ve come to a forum of enthusiasts and then come to the spot of the forum dedicated to custom builds - so there shouldn’t be much surprise that there are people talking enthusiastically about their upcoming builds. What else would you expect?
I think I may have given the wrong impression - It's ME who feels that I might be showing off a bit listing multiple builds etc.. because it is exciting and as enthusiasts we do want to talk about it all... i just feel awkward doing as impossible to do without it appearing I am showing off?
Old 12-23-2022, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I may have given the wrong impression - It's ME who feels that I might be showing off a bit listing multiple builds etc.. because it is exciting and as enthusiasts we do want to talk about it all... i just feel awkward doing as impossible to do without it appearing I am showing off?
Thanks for the clarification Frank. I thought that might be the case, but it was hard not to hear the sarcastic "Ben Stiller" voice in my head when I first read the post. No harm, no foul. I think most of us are humble about these sorts of things in general, but it is hard not to share and be enthusiastic, especially in a thread like this where it is a celebration of what's to come.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don’t worry Frank, I feel the same way. I thoroughly enjoy reading about other people’s upcoming builds on this thread but I’ve always been embarrassed to do the same myself. And like you I enjoy posting a build thread! So, to deal with this conundrum…
  • Looking forward to delivery of a Pagelli Spatial Radiation Parlour in 2023. Bocote or Tiger myrtle with Swiss spruce top.
  • Another guitar is in the “early discussion” phase with one of my favourite builders. It’d be great to get it in 2023 but we’ll see.
  • And for full disclosure, and my own peculiar sense of balance, I have two guitars that I’m releasing back into the wild.

Last edited by colins; 12-23-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don’t view anyone on this thread - having met a number of the participants in person - as showing off about how much money they have. It’s all about the enthusiasm for the guitars and the builders. I agree with you that it’s great that members of this community can help support the talented artists/builders that make these guitars.

The comments about showiness come up now and again, but I’m flabbergasted by them. You’ve come to a forum of enthusiasts and then come to the spot of the forum dedicated to custom builds - so there shouldn’t be much surprise that there are people talking enthusiastically about their upcoming builds. What else would you expect?
Right on!

I was in a duo with a bassist/singer who decided to not continue, for a variety of reasons, but the one that totally surprised me was my "guitars cost too much". Not that I ever told her what I spent (she'd be shocked at anything over $500) or bragged about them. I don't do that. Wonder what she'd have said had she known what handmade guitars really do cost?

It's not what anyone spends; it's what makes them happy.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Don’t worry Frank, I feel the same way. I thoroughly enjoy reading about other people’s upcoming builds on this thread but I’ve always been embarrassed to do the same myself. And like you I enjoy posting a build thread! So, to deal with this conundrum…
  • Looking forward to delivery of a Pagelli Spatial Radiation Parlour in 2023. Bocote or Tiger myrtle with Swiss spruce top.
  • Another guitar is in the “early discussion” phase with one of my favourite builders. It’d be great to get it in 2023 but we’ll see.
  • And for full disclosure, and my own peculiar sense of balance, I have two guitars that I’m releasing back into the wild.
Good choice on Pagelli, Col! He’s brilliant and his guitars sound amazing. I commissioned a Gringobeat from him last year.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm expecting a Keystone Mod D to be delivered late spring
Old 12-24-2022, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I have an OM in Max Spohn's queue, expecting it late in 2023. Still working on details. Super excited about it - not only working with Max but also because it's my first commissioned guitar.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I have my first commissioned order coming up this year. It's an Emerald x20 with custom neck spacing and a nicely figured flame maple with a burst.

Very excited about it.image%20(2).jpg
Old 12-24-2022, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I’m curious which ones those are. If one of them is Michel Aboudib…
Hey there! Yes, Michel is one and I am sure he is awesome. Congratulations on your guitar!

Best-
John
Old 12-25-2022, 03:34 AM

I will be expecting a 00 with a German spruce top and flamed maple back and sides with an incredible flamed maple neck from John Slobod in hopefully the first half of 2023.

Last edited by Marei; 12-25-2022 at 04:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop