The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 11:40 AM

I don't know about the nut widths. They do seem to be willing to do extensive customization, but I don't know if that applies to neck shapes.

I've been able to talk with Hsienmo's owner via Facebook Messenger on their Facebook page, so you might try that.

I believe their Facebook page is run by Bin Li from Leen Music, who is handling their marketing. I know him because they are the biggest dealer for Shijie electric guitars, and I bought a Shijie from them. They also seem to sell quite a few Hsienmo acoustics.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Looking at the website further, at least the SJ200 model has a 44.5mm nut. Clearly inspired by a Gibson (which has a 43.8mm nut), but with a 5-piece neck instead of Gibson's 3-piece.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:02 PM

Default Enjoying my Hsienmo Guitar

hello- long-time visitor to these forums, registered to join this conversation.
(No affiliation with this or any other guitar manufacturers.)
After poring over the specs of the Hsienmo guitars I saw on Reverb— and concluding, like most folks who do that, that they were "honoring" Lowden guitars— I finally dropped the nickel on one.
I'll try to get a YouTube review up soon. Basically, I'm very happy with it.
I have a Sheeran by Lowden, and the size is comparable. My Sheeran is a W-shape and the Hsienmo is clearly based on the "S" model.
Yes, a great look. Gloss finish is not my number one choice, but when the woods look this nice, it fits well. Solid wood; sinker redwood for a top and cocobolo back and sides. Seems to be top-notch workmanship (no mess inside the guitar, e.g.)
Wonderful rich note separation, great tonal complexity without being muddled, sounds great fingerpicked or strummed. Every so often I get the tiniest little buzz on the open G if I pluck it too hard, but that has been very difficult to replicate consistently and may just be my (lack of) technique.
I'm not too up on the lingo of how to differentiate the sound this guitar makes from other guitars, so I'll just say I like it almost as much as i like the sound from my '57 Gibson L-01, and my Martin 000-15SM.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:09 PM

Default Addendum to last post

duh; saw that I said my "Gibson L-01", but I have a Gibson LG-1.
also, here's the specs on mine:

Quote:
Specification:
38' Lowden S50 shape
Select quarter-sawn solid Sinker redwood Top
Select Solid Cocobolo Back&Sides
14-degree angle African mahogany 1 piece
Rounded head nickel frets
Ebony floating fingerboard
Ebony bridge
Camel bone nuts
Hsienmo custom Gotoh pattern tuner
Hsienmo style headstock
630mm String Scale
Hsienmo coating string 012-053
NT neck joint tech
UV ultra-thin paint(gloss top)
Factory standard set up: 12th fret string height around 2.25-2.50mm
Embroidered Satin cloth high-end hardcase and gifts package
Old 03-02-2023, 09:34 PM

Great to hear another opinion. I'm still fence sitting.

BTW, I noticed on FB and now see on Reverb that they just picked up a US dealer in Florida:

https://reverb.com/shop/wolfeguitars?make=hsienmo

Although it looks like a couple of the beautiful cases were damaged in shipping, so if anyone buys from the factory or Leen, you might want to ask them to wrape the cases extra well.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:02 PM

Speaking of Maestro,

The whole time was wondering . . . if it's the Chinese / Taiwanese version of Maestro guitars (out of Singapore) then we're in for a treat.

Hsienmo reminds of them . . .

https://www.maestroguitars.com/

I guess once more people review, then that will show if its good or not.

Maestro's are pretty good, nice feel and good tone. Was over in Vancouver and got to play one. Maestro was sold in a couple shops in CAN . . I thought, "Singapore? Really? " Of course I was surprised, it was pretty good, and a contender . . .

So many good guitar builders and we are in a good time for guitars in all price points and regions.

Ok back to the Hsienmo

Republic Polished Nickel over Brass Tricone
ES Dot
Fender MIM P-BAss
Gender M1M J-8455

Looking 4 an OM . . . so many choices!!! Analysis Paralysis
Old 03-03-2023, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaneshiro23 View Post
I have one of their 38 LingLong models coming in for a review! They just sent it today, so no idea when it will arrive. I hear they are kind of like the Shijie (I’ve reviewed a few of those models) for acoustics. If you want to subscribe to my channel to be notified when that Hsienmo review comes out, here’s the link to my channel: https://youtube.com/c/JonKaneshiroGuitar
Nice review

Old 03-05-2023, 07:22 PM

Default Youtube Video

I recorded some riffs on my Hsienmo S50, using just the mic of my iPhone 13 Pro.

https://youtu.be/09fvsENDp9U
Old 03-21-2023, 10:07 AM

A stunning Hsienmo custom F shape in curly redwood and Tasmania blackwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7P...KHr9nX6CwtKYlb
Old 03-21-2023, 03:47 PM

Good so far. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this brand. If they can come even close to lowden, it would be worth it at a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:54 PM

Correct pronunciation of Hsienmo:

From this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv-qMFThkY
Old 04-24-2023, 04:41 AM

ha. i am also a founder of a biotech (software) company.
i was just at a guitar store in Taipei getting some strings and saw a couple HsienMo's on the wall and I played one. One model was very small, I guess the linglong. I played the bigger one, not sure the model name, an MJ I think (florentine cutaway). It was about the size of a Taylor grand auditorium or grand symphony (x14 or x16). It sounded pretty good and was very lightly built, which I like. It looked to have mahogany back & sides. From what I could tell the fit & finish was pretty good, but looking inside, not quite at the level of a Collings, etc. It was priced around $1,000 USD. The nut width felt about like a 1.75" and the string spacing at the saddle was a little narrow for me, probably 2 5/32" or 2 3/16". I assume they could be talked down in price, and for $800-$1000 I would think about buying one.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:28 PM

NGD thread for a Hsienmo MJ was posted here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=7256058
Old 06-27-2023, 01:31 PM

Demo of new Hsienmo with D-style bracing pattern (video has several versions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36t90icLVoc

Last edited by 7NationArmy; 07-01-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7NationArmy View Post
Has anyone encountered Hsienmo guitars, which I think is out of China?

The only reason I ask is that the only dealer I've seen for them is Leen Music, from whom I just bought a Shijie electric guitar (btw amazing guitars!).

It looks to me like their high-end models are inspired by McPhearsons, with carbon fiber-reinforced necks and a floating fingerboard. Some beautiful woods too.

https://reverb.com/item/55373737-hsi...-with-hardcase
As noted in another post / thread, I ordered a Hsienmo guitar due to the abundance of photos and videos. Also because of prompt friendly replies in English with extra photos related to a couple other questions I had. The shipping was remarkable. Ordered June 25th (Hong Kong) >> Arrived here June 29th in Oregon.

They used "Takesend" shipping tracking # - I couldn't quite tell where the guitar was. But the UPS truck pulled up 3pm this afternoon. Packed very well. A signature was required upon delivery.

Tuned it, plays great. Sounds as good as hoped for. Action looks quite good. If this works right, here's a link to the listing at Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/50916960-hsi...coustic-guitar

German spruce (Picea abies) top w/ Indian Rosewood back and sides. Grand auditorium with turquoise colored inlay and maple binding.

- Hsienmo 38S, Sinker Redwood

- Hsienmo Autumn, European Spruce

- Teton STA180CEAB-AR, Sitka Spruce

- Teton STS205CENT, Thuja / Redcedar
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion