The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 05:34 AM

Default atkin 0037

hello
just got this beauty from uk. atkin 0037, sitka top, indian rosewood back and side. perfetct string spacing (60mm), 1-3/4 neck, low profile, not skinny.
it is really amazing, it is a mix between vintage warm martin sound and modern collings but not too high frequencies like collings.

https://ibb.co/nQ1y1YY

https://ibb.co/mhCGfh7
https://ibb.co/V2BF1rZ
https://ibb.co/DGHQ6fy

Last edited by identity71; 04-01-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on that Atkin. They are getting great reviews. Impossible for me to find one that I can try first.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:00 AM

Very nice, atkin are really making some waves at the minute. The baked top and bracing makes them sound incredible. Enjoy!

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 04-01-2023, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Very lovely indeed!
Old 04-01-2023, 11:31 AM

unfortunately i’ve to tell you an update, bad news…after playing more the guitar i’ve noticed sume buzzs and noises around the 4th and 5th fret. i’ve taken it to a liuther (and then an other to have a confirm)and he told me the frets are not ok and it needs a fret reset, around 300 euro. so i’m afraid i’ve to greet this beauty. i’ve contacted the store i bought it and i think they replied me on monday.
very sad.
it was the perfect guitar. i don’t know if atkins has assistance here in italy.
the guitar has been sold as new
Old 04-01-2023, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

There are "neck resets" and "fret dressing" - two very different procedures.

It is quite possible that your Atkins guitar is still "settling down" from ravel and environmental changes.

Maybe all it needs it a good "set up" which can include a fret dress and maybe some truss rod adjustment.

Ci sono "ripristini del manico" e "rivestimento dei tasti" - due procedure molto diverse.

È del tutto possibile che la tua chitarra Atkins si stia ancora "assestando" a causa di disordini e cambiamenti ambientali.

Forse tutto ciò di cui ha bisogno è un buon "set up" che può includere un fret dress e forse qualche regolazione del truss rod.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:24 PM

2 liuthers suggests me to send it back cos 2-3 frets are not ok and they are so little that it could be useful a total fret reset. if i buy a guitar new this must be perfect. i will wait reply of the store. the truss seems ok. i bought many guitars abroad and never had issues.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:03 PM

That's a shame! Hard to find 1.75" nut Atkin. If you love the sound, you might consider having the store do the fret dress, or setup. I've given up on new guitars that need work too quickly and regretted it.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's a shame! Hard to find 1.75" nut Atkin. If you love the sound, you might consider having the store do the fret dress, or setup. I've given up on new guitars that need work too quickly and regretted it.
the problem is thati live in italy and i placed the order onlline from uk. i have sent an email to the store asking support, and sent email to atkin askingif there is an italian assistance center. i’ll wait for the reply.
the guitar is really great it would be a shame to lose it but if i pay 3700 euro i need guita is perfect
Old 04-01-2023, 02:38 PM

if i look the fingerboard of this guitar from up to down i see some dark parts. if i see in the same position fingerboards of other guitars i see a linear flux of light
Old 04-10-2023, 09:44 AM

i’ve decided to keep this guitar cos it is a beauty. left to the liuther for serious fret issues.
very bad support from atkin (never replied to requests) and from the uk store i placed order from. i have to add other 150 euro for liuther
Old 04-10-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity71 View Post
i’ve decided to keep this guitar cos it is a beauty. left to the liuther for serious fret issues.
very bad support from atkin (never replied to requests) and from the uk store i placed order from. i have to add other 150 euro for liuther

Well that’s disappointing that they didn’t reply or stand behind their work. On the other hand, I’m glad to hear you have a competent luthier to do the repair work. You shouldn’t have to do any of that yourself, but at least you’ll have a fine guitar when it’s done. There are people who’ve spent more and ended up with poor sounding guitars.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:05 PM

I hope Alister, or one of his crew will read this and help you out. It was my understanding his guitars came with a cast iron warranty.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I also hope Alister and/or one of his crew will respond. I got them to respond after a few messages but having to pay for repairs seems not cool.

When they finally responded to me, Alister apologized for the delay and addressed my inquiry. It wasn't like talking to Collings, but the Atkin brand is still relatively new and in order to continue growing will need a solid customer service presence to thrive.

All in good time : )
Old 04-11-2023, 07:15 AM

yes i hope that atkin will reply cos it is very sad for a young brand not support who believes in your work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion