The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Default A brief glimpse back at Wabi-Sabi -

Some years ago I had the great opportunity to purchase a guitar made by Howard Klepper. I had first met Howard when he opened a guitar repair shop across the street from Berkeley High, which I was allegedly attending. Years later, we met at a guitar festival in Sebastapol, and I expressed interest in buying one of his guitars, if I could. He had fairly recently finished one that I had thought was particularly interesting, and he offered it to me for an exceptionally good price - I was thrilled!

This particular guitar had a whole story behind it -

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=450198

I’m not a huge fan of dreads, and the guitar has been in tucked away for a while now, but what are you gonna do when your stuck watching yet another atmospheric river sweeping through? All I can say is the guitar has aged beautifully, and the wabi-sabi aestheitc just grows better with time. What has happened, accidentally, is the case which came with the guitar has a black fur lining, and like so many other black interior cases, has left a slight stain on the top. Normally, I’d be a little upset, but it seems to feel like its just the right kinda thing to have happen to this one. Its a wonderful instrument, and a fresh set of strings makes for a great distraction from the unpleasant weather -
Old 03-29-2023, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Old 03-30-2023, 05:47 AM

Tad,

I love this! Howard’s thoughts in the post you link, the guitar, the discoloration of the top…even the fact that dreads aren’t really your thing…wabi-Sabi all around! Thanks for sharing this. It encouraged me greatly this morning.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for posting this. Cool story.

I was just thinking about Howard the other day. Sorry to say, I have not kept in touch with him after the fire. I hope he is well.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Howard and his wonderful wife are some of the good people on this earth
Old 03-30-2023, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I remember at the time being concerned that Howard could sell it, but it ended up being quite a cool project. Great looking guitar, and I’m sure it sounds great. I love my Klepper.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for a glimpse back at Howard’s guitar…. There are a few of us Klepper owners out there. I think my guitar was built in 2016 just prior to him beginning yours.

Howard and Helen are doing fine.

In fact, I am hopeful in the future to see Howard return to his luthier’s “bench”. I think if he does, he will return to making more traditional guitars. He always made both, (Traditional and Artistic), but I think his passions of late are gravitating more towards traditional instruments.

There are some things afoot that are supportive of that outcome…
Old 03-30-2023, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I am truly thankful to have the opportunity to be the caretaker of this instrument - I think it’s not just a very good guitar, it is a statement about the importance of the quality of the luthier more than the quality of the materials, and personally, a pleasant reminder of my youth, and the incredibly talented people whose paths I’ve crossed -
Old 03-31-2023, 10:24 AM

I think that I read the whole thread back when it happened.

I definitely read the entire thread again.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I dug around and found an old Dread case with a neutral grey lining. Not a very good case, but I have it, and it fits, so I’m not gonna let the black case stain it any more - I mean, there’s Wabi-sabi, and there’s stupid. I may even invest in a good Visesnut case - there are definitely costs, and responsibilities, that come with taking care of special instruments -

And for those wondering - no, it’s not for sale, and I only posted because I was enjoying being reminded what a special guitar it is - 👌

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop