The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2023, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Default What is this on a new guitar? (Haze/Bubbles/Unbuffed finish)?

Hi All,

I posted this over in General, and it was suggested I ask the question here.

I'm giving a new guitar a trial and looked it over to find some finish imperfections on the back of the neck. This is a small patch of finish that looks hazy/cloudy/bubbly(?) under bright sunlight. It also has some linear streaks leading up to the hazy patch (right where you can see the light reflecting on it).

This is located right where the neck starts to curve to the heel. I can't feel it (or I don't think I can), so it's not raised. MAYBE just a tiny bit slower if I glide my fingers over it, but that could also just be in my head.

This is not a location where I plant my thumb.

Can anyone comment on what this might be, if it's an issue more than cosmetic, and if it might get worse over time?

I otherwise like the new guitar quite a bit. It's not so rare that there aren't others available, but uncommon enough where there's no guarantee a replacement one will sound as good. If it's cosmetic or an easy fix on my own, I'm more inclined to keep it. If it's possible that it's going to be a hassle down the road, I might pass on it.

My first thought the streaks are from a buffing wheel and the patch is slightly unbuffed finish. But I actually have no idea.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4BCD26EE-193C-4B84-B453-70F31084A63F.jpg (52.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:57 PM

Is it an expensive guitar?

For me, that is my least favourite spot to sand, hard to get in there and the grain sort of changes direction. Likewise when buffing. Possibly a finish pooling issue in there too.

I could see someone getting lazy in there on a budget guitar but it should look good on a pricey one.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Is it an expensive guitar?

For me, that is my least favourite spot to sand, hard to get in there and the grain sort of changes direction. Likewise when buffing. Possibly a finish pooling issue in there too.

I could see someone getting lazy in there on a budget guitar but it should look good on a pricey one.
It’s a nitro finish on a $2k guitar. If it’s finish pooling, is this something I could hand buff with some polishing compound? I would only try this if I decide to keep it, obviously.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
It’s a nitro finish on a $2k guitar. If it’s finish pooling, is this something I could hand buff with some polishing compound? I would only try this if I decide to keep it, obviously.
I could be wrong as I'm not a finishing expert but when I zoom in, I think I see sandpaper marks, under the finish, in the pic where the light is brightest. The blotchy area is about where the grain starts to turn to open grain from side grain and also looks like less than ideally sanded under the lacquer.

That said, a digital pic, viewed on a tablet, with a light reflection could be tricking my eyes. Look at it under a good light with a magnifying glass and see if it looks like that to you.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:27 PM

It looks possibly like it wasn't sprayed properly in that area, dry, not enough material sprayed in that spot.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I could be wrong as I'm not a finishing expert but when I zoom in, I think I see sandpaper marks, under the finish, in the pic where the light is brightest. The blotchy area is about where the grain starts to turn to open grain from side grain and also looks like less than ideally sanded under the lacquer.

That said, a digital pic, viewed on a tablet, with a light reflection could be tricking my eyes. Look at it under a good light with a magnifying glass and see if it looks like that to you.
First, thanks for your comments and for looking at this carefully. Much appreciated.

The long lines as sandpaper paper marks definitely makes sense. And the blotchy part is almost exactly at the grain transition. It does seem like it’s probably under the finish? It’s not pretty but I suppose I’d prefer it than a finish problem that gets worse over time. Honestly, it’s hard to notice unless bright light is shining directly on it.

Another closer macro pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5608CD1A-8389-496C-A713-990461DF9EBA.jpg (78.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:28 PM

With nitro it is easier to refinish the area if you wanted it done, sand out the scratches and spray again.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

The sand scratches look deep but can likely be removed if there is enough film build (finish) to allow a sanding and buffing however, in the second "close up" picture there appears to be tiny solvent pop bubbles. If so, sanding them out might not leave enough finish to properly buff.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
The sand scratches look deep but can likely be removed if there is enough film build (finish) to allow a sanding and buffing however, in the second "close up" picture there appears to be tiny solvent pop bubbles. If so, sanding them out might not leave enough finish to properly buff.
Thank you for this comment.

Do solvent pop bubbles ever rise to the surface, or are they just cosmetic?
Old 02-13-2023, 10:43 PM

I don't know what's acceptable on a $2K guitar. The neck finish sure looks like it needs attention. If OP can roll back the sale with the dealer and continue to shop, that might be the wiser thing to do. My reaction to the photos is to think the neck was badly prepped, the finish needed better application, what there is of it, and the underlying neck wood wasn't choice stuff to start with.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

If, those are solvent pops they will not move. They are created while applying the finish and can be caused by improper atomization of the finish, a spray gun that was not set up or performing properly, applying too much finish, using a thinner that was too "fast" for the temperature at the time of spraying or a little of all the above or none. A solvent pop is a bubble that is created from spraying or from the solvents in the finish trying to rise up through the wet film. They can become trapped if the top surface of the finish has begun to "flash off" or dry, creating a barrier that the bubbles cannot pass through. They can be considered cosmetic and should not become problematic other than visually unusual.

Again, those may not even be solvent pops but they appear like it from that photo.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:20 AM

On any new guitar that would be unacceptable to me.
I would return it
Old 02-14-2023, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

This guitar is going back, as a closer inspection found a few other cosmetic issues.

Pretty unimpressed with finishing this poor on a guitar in this price range.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:39 PM

I'm curious as to what this guitar may be?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Solvent pop bubbles, are in the finish.

Caused by applying finish too heavy (thick) per coat.

Only way to get rid of them is to sand them out.

Chances are you may find getting them out requires you sot sand enough that you will sand through to the wood in spots.

My advice, as a 40+ year finish professional.

Would be either sell it, or put away your magnifying glass and play it.

You will likely put worse marks on the guitar in time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair