The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Default Need an Affordable Foot Pedal for Home Recording

All,

I need some help with a recording issue. I mainly record alone at home using Garageband on an iMac. I find it very difficult to record tracks when I have a guitar in one hand and a mouse in the other. I've been to some Garageband tutorials at my local Guitar Center, and they've mentioned a guitar interface called the Apogee GiO. The device is really expensive for me, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on an affordable pedal I could get that would prevent me from having to start/stop tracks with my hands? It seem like there has to be a pedal out there that costs less than $300.00 to $400.00, which is about the price for the Apogee GiO. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
All,

I need some help with a recording issue. I mainly record alone at home using Garageband on an iMac. I find it very difficult to record tracks when I have a guitar in one hand and a mouse in the other. I've been to some Garageband tutorials at my local Guitar Center, and they've mentioned a guitar interface called the Apogee GiO. The device is really expensive for me, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on an affordable pedal I could get that would prevent me from having to start/stop tracks with my hands? It seem like there has to be a pedal out there that costs less than $300.00 to $400.00, which is about the price for the Apogee GiO. Thanks in advance for the help!
Hi rj...
I have a free suggestion.

Count in the front of a main track (that other tracks will be recorded to), you will be able to trim it out later.

So starting the track by hand should be a non-issue...start the track, count it in, record the track. Then when you assemble tracks to mix and edit at the end of the project, edit/trim extra space out.

Same for ending the track. When you are done, it's best to hold notes out till they are extinct, and then just turn the track recording off by hand, and later trim the ends of the track to start/end together. I'm not sure how a pedal would be that big an asset.

It's easy enough to edit out the extra space from the beginning and end of the tracks.

I ran a studio for 8 years and I always provided myself working space on both ends of the track. I never expected to record it in finished/pre-mixed format.

Recording software provides fairly straight forward ways to trim ends of tracks.

Perhaps there is an inexpensive pedal to do it for me, but I see it as an unnecessary purchase. I want the security of eyes on the track anyway to be sure it started recording correctly, and to monitor levels...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 PM

+1 on everything Larry said. I use GB too and think that a foot pedal is unnecessary.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM

in garageband you can also choose: control>count in. that will give you a bar's worth so you have a little time to get ready.

otherwise, as others have stated, you can just set up your song for bars and beats rather than time and start the recording, then begin your recorded part at 5, 9, or 13 whatever time you need. then you can clean it up later.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM

Does Garageband respond to OSC messages? If so you should be able to use a mobile phone as a remote control, or even a tv remote if you have an IR receiver (eg in a tv card).
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rj...
I have a free suggestion.

Count in the front of a main track (that other tracks will be recorded to), you will be able to trim it out later.........Same for ending the track. When you are done, it's best to hold notes out till they are extinct, and then just turn the track recording off by hand, and later trim the ends of the track to start/end together...

I'm a novice myself and that's exactly what I do.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FG830
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rj...

Count in the front of a main track (that other tracks will be recorded to), you will be able to trim it out later.

So starting the track by hand should be a non-issue...start the track, count it in, record the track. Then when you assemble tracks to mix and edit at the end of the project, edit/trim extra space out.

Same for ending the track. When you are done, it's best to hold notes out till they are extinct, and then just turn the track recording off by hand, and later trim the ends of the track to start/end together.

Just wanted to thank (again) for this no-brainer process. It's so simple and very effective that I (the no-brainer) didn't really pay attention to this practice before until I read yours.

LJ, I always try not to miss your posts, and I know that I never miss to learn something so useful from them. Thanks again as always
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM

I use the keyboard shortcut "R" to start recording in GB. It's a lot easier/quicker than using the mouse. Hitting "R" again will stop it, but I think I use SPACE (it's been a while, so can't recall for sure).
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I use the keyboard shortcut "R" to start recording in GB. It's a lot easier/quicker than using the mouse. Hitting "R" again will stop it, but I think I use SPACE (it's been a while, so can't recall for sure).
Hi mchalebk...

Ah yes! The ''Hand'' Pedal! Especially useful if you are using a wireless keyboard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Aloha,

I don't know if this is what you need, but it works for me in terms of keeping me away from the computer while recording & being able to hit record or stop. Has a footswitch.

Doug Young made this very useful suggestion for a quality tracking/playing controller. Like Doug, I only use it to record & stop tracking (no sound goes through it as I use it) - in a tracking/playing area away from my computer & mouse. It's much easier & keeps the computer signals from being a distraction while playing & that often leads to better takes:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderPort

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

I don't know if this is what you need, but it works for me in terms of keeping me away from the computer while recording & being able to hit record or stop. Has a footswitch.

Doug Young made this very useful suggestion for a quality tracking/playing controller. Like Doug, I only use it to record & stop tracking (no sound goes through it as I use it) - in a tracking/playing area away from my computer & mouse. It's much easier & keeps the computer signals from being a distraction while playing & that often leads to better takes:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderPort

alohachris
if he was using logic he could use the remote control that comes(came?) with mac computers. i can sit across the room with my miced acoustic guitar and start and stop recording with it.
alas, it doesn't work with garageband which is strange since a lot of mac stuff works across the board.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I use V Control Pro with my I Pad but alas it only works with the Major DAW platforms and not GB
http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Like Larry said, I usually leave AT LEAST 8 beats/2 4-beat measures of "dead air" before laying down the first note then trim it later. I've been doing this for years.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I use V Control Pro with my I Pad but alas it only works with the Major DAW platforms and not GB
http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control
I use ProRemote LE.....it's saved my life!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD