The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Good pickup for Taylor 114ce?

I have a 2009 Taylor 114ce and I want a better pickup for it. I bought it used but IIRC, the previous owner said that he had upgraded the pickups from the ES1 to the ES2.

I don't really like how the pickup sounds when I play, I feel like it magnifies sharp noises as well as the higher notes and doesn't pickup the lower notes that well. It also tends to make the slaps on guitar strings sound piercing. This could have just been bad technique by me, but I would still like a pickup that sounds good and won't magnify the sharp noises.

If this helps with deciding a good pickup for me, I will mostly be using this guitar for playing fingerstyle and sometimes strumming. Most of the time it will be used to accompany me while I am singing.

Although I would prefer to have a non-visible pickup, if a sound hole pickup will give me better sound, then I am okay with going with that. I don't really know how much good pickups cost, but I'm willing to spend $250 on the pickups alone.

I also know a good luthier near me so I will be having him do the installation for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

If possible, take a peek inside your guitar, and check the label of the preamp inside the body (visible near the soundhole / control knobs).

Taylor did a running change to the pre-amp around 2016.

The ones that proved to be more successful were actually the ES-N ES-T pre-amps, which started shipping with ES2 guitars (steel strings included).

I swapped the preamp in an 816ce, and installed one into a GS custom.

I liked the new ES2 pickup quite well -- very easy to manage tone. That said, it isn't for everyone.

Just suggesting you double check the pre-amp version and try the newer one, if yours is the original model.

Also, the tone in ES2 should be customizable, based on the pressure of the piezos located at the low / mid / high range of your strings. Try backing off the trebles piezo, and checking the pressure / fit of the mid and low range piezos? (never tried this, just a shot)

- a.h.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 09-25-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
If possible, take a peek inside your guitar, and check the label of the preamp inside the body (visible near the soundhole / control knobs).

Taylor did a running change to the pre-amp around 2016.

The ones that proved to be more successful were actually the ES-N pre-amps, which started shipping with ES2 guitars (steel strings included).

I swapped the preamp in an 816ce, and installed one into a GS custom.

I liked the new ES2 pickup quite well -- very easy to manage tone. That said, it isn't for everyone.

Just suggesting you double check the pre-amp version and try the newer one, if yours is the original model.

Also, the tone in ES2 should be customizable, based on the pressure of the piezos located at the low / mid / high range of your strings. Try backing off the trebles piezo, and checking the pressure / fit of the mid and low range piezos? (never tried this, just a shot)

- a.h.
I think I have the ES-N pre-amp. I couldn't find any reference for what it's supposed to look like, but I compared mine with the ES-T, ES 1.3, and ES 1.2 and my pre-amp is not any of those.

But yeah, adjusting the treble doesn't really help much in my case. I also don't think it's a problem with the piezos, it sounds perfectly fine not plugged in so I don't want to tinker with it and possibly mess up how it sounds naturally just to fix how it sounds while plugged in.

Maybe the pickup just doesn't fit this guitar? Because I also have a Taylor 224ce-k DLX that is fairly new and should have the new ES2 and ES-N pre-amp and I think the pickup on it sounds just fine, not the best, but a lot better than the one on my Taylor 114ce.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:44 AM

I had the same issue with my 418e. Hated the ES2 in this particular guitar (I’ve played others it sounded fine in), tried both the original ES2 preamp then the new ES-T which is less hot.

Ended up putting a Baggs M1A in it.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-25-2021, 11:08 AM

If it is indeed the ES2 system, then you don’t have to mess with the saddle to adjust the piezo’s. There will be three very small metal doodads just below the bridge. Each has a small hex nut in it, with a super small size (so you may have to go to the hardware store to get an Allen key to match). You (or your tech) can slightly turn those hex nuts to adjust the piezos. One nice thing about the ES2 design is that you can adjust the piezo without affecting the set-up at all or unamplified tone at all. Anyways, from your description you might start by slightly loosening the one on the treble size and slightly tightening the one on the bass side. In any case, it’s worth trying to adjust them (for free) before going to expense of replacing.

Last edited by BlueStarfish; 09-25-2021 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-25-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

* Even though I’m a full time working musician using Takamine’s for the most part, I actually prefer a good sound hole mag for finger style, the nuances and tone can be beautiful... I use a DeArmond Tone Boss that I absolutely love. I used to use a Baggs M80 which also sounded beautiful and was a bit more percussive.
At my more senior, reserved venues I play a lot of instrumental finger style and even though the Tak’s sound good, the mag in my D18 is more airy and articulate, harmonics are richer... all the notes are punchy, fat and round all the way up the neck.
* I think if you get a nice mag, balance the poles, you can get the articulate, fat, warm tone you’re looking for. There are several good ones to choose from and I mentioned the two I prefer. Others will chime in with their preferences and some good choices.
Best wishes!

Last edited by noledog; 09-25-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
If it is indeed the ES2 system, then you don’t have to mess with the saddle to adjust the piezo’s. There will be three very small metal doodads just below the bridge. Each has a small hex nut in it, with a super small size (so you may have to go to the hardware store to get an Allen key to match). You (or your tech) can slightly turn those hex nuts to adjust the piezos. One nice thing about the ES2 design is that you can adjust the piezo without affecting the set-up at all or unamplified tone at all. Anyways, from your description you might start by slightly loosening the one on the treble size and slightly tightening the one on the bass side. In any case, it’s worth trying to adjust them (for free) before going to expense of replacing.
My guitar actually doesn't have those 3 small metal doodads. I guess that means the previous owner only upgraded the pre-amp and did not upgrade to the ES2 system?
Old 09-25-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel View Post
My guitar actually doesn't have those 3 small metal doodads. I guess that means the previous owner only upgraded the pre-amp and did not upgrade to the ES2 system?

That’s what I’d assume
Old 09-25-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I had the same issue with my 418e. Hated the ES2 in this particular guitar (I’ve played others it sounded fine in), tried both the original ES2 preamp then the new ES-T which is less hot.
=
Thanks for the clarification - I was mistaken in referring to the ES-N. I noticed a similar effect of the new preamp (ES-T).

An, in any case, sounds like the OP may not have the ES2 installed, if the (3) adjuster cylinders against the saddle aren't present on their guitar.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:07 PM

Just an update on what I went with.

I decided to get a sound hole pickup so I went with the L.R. Baggs M80. I'm going to drop it into my guitar and test it out. If I like it, then I'll get a luthier to permanently install it into my guitar.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:33 PM

My daughters have a 114 and 214. I had K&K pups installed and they both sound MUCH better than Taylor’s with the factory systems.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used about five different soundhole magnetic pickups in my D15… from all three Baggs models, to D’Armond, mojotone, to even the one pictured below (not sure). Once the poles are adjusted, it becomes a real easy sound to EQ and very pleasing. For those guitars, which are treble heavy, I say go soundhole magnetic pup…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76AACCE5-781A-472D-87F4-54D02E355474.jpg (51.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-27-2021, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Sal, I'm getting ready to put a soundhole PU in my j-17. Do you really think they are all about the same? Is the D'Armond as good as the Mojotone for half the price?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic guitar, pickup, recommendation