The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Update: Wireless Mic system review - second set added

2023 Update: I wanted to post this update since I don't recall if I ever did and see no evidence of it in this thread. But since it is obviously still being found I felt I needed to add this information!

I did eventually run into interference using the two wireless mic units at the same time causing vocal dropouts. I elected not to do any testing to attempt to further evaluate and possibly alleviate the issue such as with identifying if it could be reproduced or fixed by changing certain frequencies (each unit has four) on the mics which is easy enough to do. I made this decision for two reasons:

First, it is pretty easy to accidentally hit the change frequency button on a mic being held in your hand (my wife does not like to use a stand) and therefore negate finding and keeping the frequencies that work without conflict active. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that mid-song at a gig. The second reason is simple in that as the guitar player who obviously needs his mic in a stand, I don't require my mic to be wireless and a cord works fine.

I should note that I do still use the guitar's wireless unit which does not conflict with the mic wireless. I do sometimes wonder if I bought a different brand mic wireless unit would it not conflict because then the random frequencies used might be different enough than the ones I already own. But, again, it's just not that big enough a deal. If in the future I ever do go this route I'll be sure to update here again!

Update - added second set! (Original review is below the update.)

We are just now getting back out and gigging regularly and I finally had some real-world experience with the wireless mic system that I purchased back in September for my wife's microphone. To summarize, it works great and she loves it. No issues with drop outs or interference, at least not yet. As I stated below, I really don't need a wireless setup for my mic since as the guitar player my mic is anchored to a stand. But with the good performance of the system I figured I'd grab a second set anyway for my mic. Why? Well, it's nice to have a backup and it's one less cord that needs to be run. It also frees up amplifier placement significantly if you don't have to worry about cord length considerations!

A quick check of Amazon showed that the system I originally purchased was still available and on sale for about the same price, and nothing else out there was close in price so I just bought another one. One issue I noted in the original review was that due to the size of the barrel, you could not plug in two receivers side-by-side if your inputs on your amp/mixer are close together, which mine are. So I bought a couple short XLRm-XLRf cables and also a single XLRm-XLRf adapter which I thought might just be enough. It is! I plugged both sets in today and tested them. The adapter is just the right length to plug both in and not need the cables. But I'll keep them just in case. Again, backups.

One concern I had with two of the same system is that there might be interference between the two receivers being so close on the amp. Or with my guitar which also 5.8 gHz. But there was none. The systems come in nice little well-made boxes with quality foam cutouts. My one complaint is that the boxes are so well made and the covers so form-fitting that opening them is a colossal PITA. But no worries as I found a little metal domino box and I was able to cut down both of the foam inserts to create a single box to carry all four units. I used some blue tape to mark the new set so as not to mix them up. One other issue is that the mic transmitter on the newest set is extremely tight on my mic. Part of that is the mic itself. My wifes is better so I'll just switch out the wireless unit with hers as it's a little worn.

Anyway, I know a few people were looking at going this route so I thought an update of real-world, out-in-the-wild performance experiences, plus the addition of the second set would be useful. I'll post some photos out on page 2. Thanks for checking in.

Original review: Quite a while back I jumped on the wireless guitar bandwagon once they started offering the small, battery powered systems that are literally just a tiny transmitter and receiver that plug directly into your guitar and amp. The Xvive U2 system was the first and I stepped quickly through several name brand iterations, some at some pretty high price points, all with varying levels of function from really good to really bad. But none of them were worth much in live situations at the too-crowded 2.4 Ghz wavelength. Finally, the 5.8 Ghz models starting showing up in droves by no-name companies for ridiculously low prices and they work very well. Go figure.

Even though I really don't need to be wireless, I absolutely LOVE the feeling of not being tethered to my amplifier. The ability to walk around (usually in circles) while I play and practice is great when I don't have to stop every other song and 'unwind' myself. So I began waiting for the day that similar wireless mic systems started showing up in the same manner. Just as with the guitar, it was Xvive U3 that seemed to show up first but again with the 2.4 Ghz wavelength. So I patiently waited for the inevitable - a no-name, inexpensive 5.8 Ghz mic system. Today is that day.

On a recent perusing of Amazon I found the LEKATO 5.8 Ghz Wireless Microphone Transmitter Receiver Plug-on XLR Microphone Wireless System. The design looked pretty well made with one major design flaw that I didn't notice until I received it. More on that in a minute. And the price at $106 (at time of purchase) was spot on and about half what the U3 system goes for. So I pulled the trigger and received it yesterday. I tried it out today and it works great. It's as solid as it looks in the Amazon ad and very easy to use on an existing mic. My wife tried it last night and it was great. Latency was super low and she walked to the far end of the house through several rooms and still had connection. Actually, better than my guitar does! She was very excited.

So, what is the major design flaw? The diameter is too big! If you have extremely close XLR inputs (and need to use them) you might be in trouble. At the very least, you won't be able to use 2 of these systems side-by-side. Since I'm playing guitar my mic stays on a stand anyway so I can get by with a mic cable and a standard XLR mic plug will fit in the adjacent input albeit just barely. If you've got space between your inputs then it's no problem. But beware if you have a tight setup like in the photos I'll post farther below.

Anyway, here's the link. Keep in mind that Amazon's prices seem to fluctuate greatly with no rhyme or reason. It was 'on sale' when I bought it for $106. No guarantees it will still be that when you click on the link. Then again, maybe it will be cheaper!

LEKATO 5.8 Ghz Wireless Microphone Transmitter Receiver Plug-on XLR Microphone Wireless System

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-20-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Photos!

Old 09-24-2021, 06:05 PM

There is a very simple solution to this which is to carry a short XLRm/XLRf lead in the box with the unit. Where space is limited plug the XLR in and hang the receiver somewhere high up and away from WiFi routers.

For a band using multiple units a multicore loom can be bought for surprisingly little. If you're handy with the iron then consider buying used and maybe repairing/replacing the odd dud.

I've just started using the Xvive u4 IEM and find it useful to carry both an XLRm/XLRf and a TRS/XLRf to cover all possibilities.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Actually, you need an XLR male to male for it to work. (Wrong - see below!) I actually had two of those in my cart on Amazon, short ones, very inexpensive. You can get two for $12.95 on Amazon. But decided would likely not need them. But good to have the option.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-25-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Actually, you need an XLR male to male for it to work.
That would be a gender changer and your receiver (also male) wouldn't connect.

Unless I'm missing something.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
That would be a gender changer and your receiver (also male) wouldn't connect.

Unless I'm missing something.
No, you are correct. I was holding the other side (transmitter) when attempting to figure that out! Doh!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Nice - I'm not losing the plot.

At least this is not evidence of it.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:18 AM

Yea you would think they would have figured out the size issue...and maybe included a short cord or redesigned it so that it was slimmer but longer...

I've been on the lookout for a Solo wireless rig...
One system that handles a mic and a guitar all-in-one...
Old 09-25-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks as always for your great reviews of products 'in the wild'. I just ordered it and Amazon has a $6.00 off coupon on the site at present. I'm excited as this has much potential for linking our mains wirelessly or when a venue wants a satellite speaker elsewhere in the room as the line outs on our amps and mains are xlr. If nothing else I can rock a wireless rig with my Xvive in my guitar, this unit on my mic and everything plugged into my Bose S1. What could go wrong ?
Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Thanks as always for your great reviews of products 'in the wild'. I just ordered it and Amazon
Yes thanks Methos for your review.
I may pick one up soon!
It will be nice to have less cables to deal with.
Prices on wireless is amazingly low!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes, in addition to the obvious use of connecting a mic to an amp or PA you could also easily use it to send output from an amp or PA to a satellite speaker in another room in an odd-shaped or multi-roomed venue. We actually did this early on with our Xvive U2 guitar where we sent a signal into another room to a Bose S1 and it worked great.

We just had a practice using the mic and guitar wireless systems and they worked together great, no problems with each other. Wife loves it.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:06 AM

I have both the Xvive U3 and U2. The last open mic I tried both and zero dropouts. I just purchased the U3C with a condenser headset mic SM35. Not here yet, but feel that the drawback on the 5.8 GHz unit from the OP is lack of phantom power. I was considering a Crown CM311A condenser mic with a battery pack to use with the U3 but was put off by the reports of fragility and quality of the CM311A.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 09-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used wireless units to do a variety of connections - they are quite useful, but I’ve been hesitant to use more than 2 at any time, simply because I think there are a limited number of frequencies, and in a live situation, I have enough to think about without adding wireless interference. And then, theres making sure all the equipment is fully charged, which involves a couple of multi-port USB adapters and a jungle of cables or various adapter types to keep everything plugged in.

Anyone come up with some interesting tools/techniques for coordinating multiple wireless devices?
Old 09-27-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Scott. I ordered one for my wife to use with her mic.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:04 AM

Should in ear monitors be 5.8 Ghz too?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification