The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2021, 10:39 PM

I've never found them that hard... but then, I have that CS degree...

It's really an issue of cramming a gazillion functions into one box with only a few buttons. Every switch has to do double, triple, quadruple duty. It takes really well thought out UX design to make it work--and unfortunately, the skill set of UX design and computer coding aren't the same.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:27 AM

Products with Instruction manuals should be handed to folks that know little about what the product does. Listen to their questions, then make changes. Repeat with new folks until they can open the box and set up the product and make it “work.” How difficult can this be?
The better a person understands how to use the product (and make changes), the less folks need to use tech support. And the easier they are able to master the product, the more they will support it. Designing and building a product is the hard part, and it takes a degree of expertise, no doubt.
If I cannot understand how to make it perform I am going to be frustrated and have negative views of it. There are many nice products out there that folks do not buy because the product seems to require a higher level of education to use it, or it’s intended purpose is not clear. I do not actually know what the gate, attack and delay threshold parameters have to do with the quack I am wanting to eliminate. (Just an example, don’t freak out here!)

Or so I think….
Old 09-20-2021, 08:50 AM

Products with Instruction manuals should be handed to folks that know little about what the product does. Listen to their questions, then make changes. Repeat with new folks until they can open the box and set up the product and make it “work.” How difficult can this be?
The better a person understands how to use the product (and make changes), the less folks need to use tech support. And the easier they are able to master the product, the more they will support it. Designing and building a product is the hard part, and it takes a degree of expertise, no doubt.
If I cannot understand how to make it perform I am going to be frustrated and have negative views of it. There are many nice products out there that folks do not buy because the product seems to require a higher level of education to use it, or it’s intended purpose is not clear. I do not actually know what the gate, attack and delay threshold parameters have to do with the quack I am wanting to eliminate. (Just an example, don’t freak out here!)

Or so I think….
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I do not actually know what the gate, attack and delay threshold parameters have to do with the quack I am wanting to eliminate. (Just an example, don’t freak out here!)
I think this is a different topic. Learning to use a compressor, delay or reverb to get the result you want is different than the interface used to set the effect parameters. If you're not sure how to use the effect, having a multi-effect, a digital single effect unit or even an analog unit in front of you will make no difference.

Not a dig at you, jjbigfly... I see plenty of posts on various forum that are essentially, "Hey, I just bought this piece of gear. I've never used one... is there a button I can push to make it do all the things I want?" It takes some time to educate yourself on how to use the gear you've got. [b]Then[b] you might need a manual to figure out how to dig out all those settings.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:33 PM

I understand the sentiment and agree with some past/current versions and some manufacturers, but…

I am personally super impressed by the Zoom A14 and G14 pedals for both sound and ease of use. My thought after using them is they were designed by players not engineers.

I found the layout and use of buttons/knobs to be well thought out for easy on device adjustments, and the app on the computer to be intuitive as well.

Again, I agree with this sentiment historically, but feel the Helix changed the game with what can be expected and these devices from Zoom are doing a great job of providing as much of that functionality as they can at a really low cost.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I think this is a different topic. Learning to use a compressor, delay or reverb to get the result you want is different than the interface used to set the effect parameters. If you're not sure how to use the effect, having a multi-effect, a digital single effect unit or even an analog unit in front of you will make no difference.

Not a dig at you, jjbigfly... I see plenty of posts on various forum that are essentially, "Hey, I just bought this piece of gear. I've never used one... is there a button I can push to make it do all the things I want?" It takes some time to educate yourself on how to use the gear you've got. [b]Then[b] you might need a manual to figure out how to dig out all those settings.
Understand 😇. Bad example, but the gist was: If I can’t operate it reasonably in a short time, chances are that it will not be going home with me. I do understand the learning curve, but if a client cannot figure out how to make something work, it’s not going to look good for the seller. If I like the product right away (when in use) then I will be motivated to learn how to use it in the best manner.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I have two pedals... a Fire Eye and a Zoom AC-2 (which I have for sale)

The Zoom is really easy. Some simple EQ. A Reverb. A tuner. Turn the dial between "OM or Round Shoulder or Dreadnaught" for example. But nothing beats the simplicity of the Fire Eye Red Eye and a clip on tuner on the headstock for me.

I agree with your sentiment though. I recently sold a digital modeling amp in favor of a Blues Junior because I like simple.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:09 AM

Man, I thought it was just me.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 AM

No, but I happen to have that degree
Old 09-28-2021, 08:41 PM

The user manual for my arranger is 1050 pages. The quick start manual is 167.
Best with ipad mounted on the music rest step by step.
I reckon it will take a year to master but the korg videos are just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:12 AM

I have a degree- from the school of hard knocks- and firmly believe in, practice and advocate for the K.I.S.S. philosophy in all walks of life.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I am fortunate to have studied Recording Studio Techniques in college and having spent forty years in the industry. I understand this poop a little more than the average, ordinary bear. Nevertheless, there was a period in the industry when most digital equipment's abilities and flexability wildly outgrew its user interface. In fact, there was a period when the industry purposely went to nested menus with reduced knobs and miniaturized displays as the standard user interface. We'd spent decades developing mixing console interfaces that provided the best geographic association of knob and display to provide operators with the ability to keep up with the status of every function with a casual scan, and then we purposely threw all that out for complex, arcane, and layered interfaces intended to provide maximum flexibility instead.

That philosophy worked its way down to guitar processors as well. It has taken years for guitar companies and console companies to develop new interfaces that don't sacrifice ergonomics for flexibility and they have frankly only gotten there in the last few years. Line6 held the release of the Helix five years after it was ready to release because in 2010 the economy wouldn't support the price point it was going to sell at. In the interim they created a reduced-feature-set item called the POD HD500 (and HD500X) with an interface from that period. You can really see how they were able to improve the interface in the intervening five years when you compare the two.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:29 AM

Default ToneDEQ

One of the reasons I got my Fishman ToneDEQ. I like analog control.

Frank
Old 09-30-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I rarely use any amplification at all. I guess I'm the lucky one

When you guys get it all figured out let me know!! Haha haha Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-30-2021, 08:57 PM

Exclamation

Years ago I was able to pick up a Boss GT6 at a nice price. Wasn't in the market (and this is NOT an acoustic guitar product) but pulled the trigger. Fiddled around with the presets, moved a handful that I liked together and shelved it. I pulled it out a while back and dedicated a weekend to dialing it in, and that is my primary complaint. These things take forever to set up. Considering I only use a few effects the unit is more than likely bored with me. However, to sell it and buy individuals pedals does not make $ense. Recently watched a Billy Strings rig rundown and have a renewed interest in noise making. So we continue our love/hate relationship

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification