The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-11-2021, 01:39 AM

Default Newbie Advice: RME Babyface Pro FS

Hi all,

I’m just getting into recording and I have settled on buying the Babyface Pro and I need some advice.

I will be recording guitar (mainly acoustic) and vocals. I want to record high quality demos to take to a producer. The gear I currently have is a Martin D18, a Rode NT1 mic and Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm headphones.

My questions:
1. Will I need a headphone amp for headphones with 250 ohms? Should I be considering headphones with less ohms for recording with the BFP?
2. Is anyone using the BFP for mixing in addition to recording?
3. I want to buy quality open back headphones for mixing (I can’t use monitors) and I am considering the Focal Clear headphones. Does anyone have experience mixing with these headphone and the BFP?

Any advice about this audio interface combined with other gear you are using is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasko View Post
1. Will I need a headphone amp for headphones with 250 ohms? Should I be considering headphones with less ohms for recording with the BFP?
Unless the headphone amp in the BFP is underpowered, you should be fine with those headphones. But since they'll be used for tracking, I'd suggest getting the 80 ohm set and then you'll have plenty of volume from the BFP. I own the 80 ohm version and they're an excellent pair of tracking headphones.

Quote:
So far as I know, alohachris is the only person here using the BFP. Hopefully he'll see your post and weigh in.

Quote:
3. I want to buy quality open back headphones for mixing (I can’t use monitors) and I am considering the Focal Clear headphones. Does anyone have experience mixing with these headphone and the BFP?
I own the Focal Clear Professional model and they're also excellent headphones. Focal makes great products so I'd bet the Focal Clear is also a very good choice. However, headphones are like monitors in the sense that you have to get used to what's hyped and what's not and adjust your mixes accordingly. I've recently started using the Sonarworks Sound ID Reference software for headphones and I'm pretty blown away by how much better it makes all my headphones sound. The software does an excellent job of flattening the eq curve of what you're hearing which makes the headphones much more reliable for checking a mix.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-11-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Unless the headphone amp in the BFP is underpowered, you should be fine with those headphones. But since they'll be used for tracking, I'd suggest getting the 80 ohm set and then you'll have plenty of volume from the BFP. I own the 80 ohm version and they're an excellent pair of tracking headphones.

So far as I know, alohachris is the only person here using the BFP. Hopefully he'll see your post and weigh in.

I own the Focal Clear Professional model and they're also excellent headphones. Focal makes great products so I'd bet the Focal Clear is also a very good choice. However, headphones are like monitors in the sense that you have to get used to what's hyped and what's not and adjust your mixes accordingly. I've recently started using the Sonarworks Sound ID Reference software for headphones and I'm pretty blown away by how much better it makes all my headphones sound. The software does an excellent job of flattening the eq curve of what you're hearing which makes the headphones much more reliable for checking a mix.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick response and your advice.

Do you use an amp with your Focal Clear cans? I’m assuming an amp is not required as they are only 60 ohms? Are they comfortable even though they are relatively heavy in weight?
Old 09-11-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I’m just getting into recording and I have settled on buying the Babyface Pro and I need some advice.

I will be recording guitar (mainly acoustic) and vocals. I want to record high quality demos to take to a producer. The gear I currently have is a Martin D18, a Rode NT1 mic and Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm headphones.

My questions:

Any advice about this audio interface combined with other gear you are using is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I love my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro phones. If I felt the need for open backs I'd probably pick up the 880s for that.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-11-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I've never had a problem recording or mixing (770s are not my first choice for that task, though) acoustic material with my 250Ω DT770s, though I've only used them with other brand interfaces; i.e., it depends entirely the actual power output in the interface's headphone amp.

If you were using them in a room with an electric [guitar] plugged into an amp, or a room with a drummer, then you might need a headphone amp, but, TBH, what you really need is good IEMs at that point (IMO... Making the headphone sound louder than what's getting past the closed back and pads is not good for your hearing.)
Old 09-11-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Ive been using the Babyface Pro on a Mac with Logic for a number of years. Its been a great interface so far.

I don’t really do much professional mixing, but id think it would be fine for that. I don’t have a problem powering either pairs of my headphones, AKG and Beyer.

It has plenty of gain for my fathead ribbon mic, at least on guitar amps.

I enjoy the simple form factor and no breakout cable. RME has good driver support.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Regarding the RME Baby Face Pro FS, I have heard nothing but good about it.

Looks like the RME has two separate headphone drives. The one (1/4" jack) is 60mW output power and higher max voltage and higher output impedance; he other (1/8" jack) is 90mW output power but lower max voltage and has lower output impedance. The 1/8" output is more appropriate for lower impedance headphones (such as IEMs and earbuds) and may have enough power for 55 ohm Focals because their sensitivity is quite high. The concern might be, when mixing your overall recording levels may be quite a bit below 0dBFS so the headphone output may be to quiet for you.

I like having nice gear, and getting a pair of Focals would most likely be great, but I kind of wonder about the 'balance' in the gear you have, or are getting. While I do tend to ratchet up in quality as I get new gear, I also try to make sure the overall level in quality of all the gear is in the same range. As an example, I wonder if you'll be satisfied with the performance of your Rode mic listening through the Focals. Not sure if you have a firm budget limit or not, but if so you might want to consider shifting some of it from headphones to a microphone(s).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-11-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you use an amp with your Focal Clear cans? I’m assuming an amp is not required as they are only 60 ohms? Are they comfortable even though they are relatively heavy in weight?
No amp is needed. My headphones are connected to my Dangerous Monitor ST via a Redco Little Red Cue box but they're plenty loud if I go direct to my interface. Even my MassDrop HD 6xx which are 300 ohms give me enough without an amp. Year ago I had a pair of headphones that were 600 ohms. Those had me maxing out the volume but I could still get them to a reasonable level without an amp... maybe a smidge lower than I wanted them. I think you're good to go so long as you keep it at 300 or lower but for tracking the 80 ohm set will leave no question as to whether you can get them to the level you'd want.

I just took a look at the Focal site because I thought you were talking about a different set of headphones from the ones I own. It appears the original Focal Clear, which was cheaper than the Clear Pro, has been discontinued. There is now the Focal Clear and the Focal Clear MG. The only difference appears to be the color of the ear cushion. The specs are the same as mine and each pair costs the same price. My pair are the ones they call the MG now.

Yes, they are slightly heavier than my other headphones but they're super comfortable. The ear padding feels like it's made from a light version of memory foam. It molds to the head contour well and you get a good seal. My entire ear fits inside the cup, so there's no pinning the ears against the skull which will happen will some headphones. They're as comfortable as any headphones I've ever owned.

I wrote a review shortly after I got the headphones. You might find it helpful

YouTube
Old 09-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi all,

My questions:

Thanks in advance.
I don't have any of the gear you mention. However I do know that RME enjoy's a great reputation for studio grade quality .

as far as your questions

#1 I would wait on an outboard HP amp. until I tried the onboard HP out, on the the Babyface first . You may find it drives the 250 HP's just fine.

#2 I assume you are talking about using the bundled RME Total Mix software ?
Again I do not know anything about it but IMO ( no reason you can't use it to start off with) I am guessing Alohachris still uses Logic, But he might be able to offer a comparison.

#3 Again don't know anything about either the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Focals so no joy there as to personal experience . But again me, I would wait and get used to using the Beyer's first for both tracking and mixing (at least to start with) and get your feet wet .

Honestly rather that new additional HP's right off the bat I would think first more about another mic . Arguably an SDC. So as to be able to record and mix the guitar in stereo (IMO two mono tracks is the most versatile)

Now given the RME has only two mic inputs and you state you want to do both vocals and guitar :: Your basic recording options at this point are

#1 using the a NT1 for both the guitar and vocal at the same time (entirely doable especially if only for demo's ) But will be a single mono track will have some bleed so will be a bit more of a compromise in things like EQ and Compression.
# Alternate ,,, record the guitar first then dub the Vocal

#2 Or if the D 18 has a pickup, going direct into the RME and use the Nt1 for vocal .

#3 Or with a second mic record the guitar in stereo and dub the vocal in mono.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-11-2021, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

To answer a previous question, I am planning on recording guitar and vocals separately using the mic (no pickup in my Martin D18).

A couple of you have mentioned that a weakness in my potential set up could be the mic. I definitely would be stretching the budget but I also thought about purchasing either the Neumann K184 or the TLM103. I thought the TLM103 would be the more versatile for both guitar and vocals. Any thoughts on either mic?

I have also read that the Shure SRH1540 headphones are quite good for tracking as well as mixing, even though they are closed back. So I could potentially go for these less expensive cans rather than the Focal Clear and use the saved money for an upgrade to the mic. Any thoughts?

I’m jumping around a bit in terms of options but any further advice appreciated.

Also I note that I am still new to recording and some of this gear isn’t at the low end but I did want to invest in slightly higher end gear now rather than experimenting on a much cheaper setup and then upgrading.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Since you're open to other options, rather than spend $1500 on a pair of Focal headphones, you might reallocate along these lines...

DT 770 Pro closed back headphones on sale right now for $130
MassDrop HD 6xx open back headphones $220
These are identical to the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and they're made by Sennheiser. I own a pair, they're great.
Gefell M300 small diaphragm condenser $790

That puts you at $1140 and you'll have two great pair of headphones, one for tracking and one for mixing, plus a truly excellent SDC to record your guitar either in mono or in stereo paired with whatever LDC you buy. The Rode NT1 and Focals would have run you $1769. That leaves you about $600 to buy a large diaphragm condenser microphone. There are good LDC options out there for $600 or less.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD