The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-11-2021, 02:22 PM

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yXWd68ahl8lwWy

Tony noodling on my guitar. So that’s how it’s supposed to sound….crawls under rock….

He def filled the room with or without a guitar in his hands! Great stories and memories.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Looked like such a great time for all and amazingly beautiful guitars both in looks and sound.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-12-2021, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up

Awesome event, as expected! Tom, you did it - so proud of your vision again succeeding against all the challenges of our times.

I missed it due to a family reunion over Labor Day (my first time seeing Mom in 2 years), but eagerly await a possible B.I.G. 3.0 announcement. Perhaps with a byline "B.I.G.ger than ever!"?
Old 09-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely loved these! Working on putting together Joel’s demo compilation now for Two Hands Guitars

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing the wonderful pictures and videos! What a fantastic time everyone must have had. To think that Tom once lived only 3hrs away here in upstate NY. Now that he's run off to TX ... this helps bridge the gap ... a little.

-John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing the wonderful pictures and videos! What a fantastic time everyone must have had. To think that Tom once lived only 3hrs away here in upstate NY. Now that he's run off to TX ... this helps bridge the gap ... a little.

-John
I really wish you could make it one of these times, I know you would be in heaven with the luthiers, the players, the guitars. It really is made for you haha. I just have to get you there my friend!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:07 AM

Default Final comments on B.I.G. 2021

It has been a few weeks now since the event and time to wrap things up.

Kathy and I are still on a high from B.I.G. 2021! First and foremost we are so very thankful for all the attendees as well as the performers, the luthiers and amp builder, and our friends and neighbors that came to help or just to enjoy. This event takes a lot of planning (it is just K and I doing it) and there was a lot of consternation and stress involved and I thank Kathy for keeping me from cracking and I believed I do the same for her. We definitely divide and conquer in order to plan and pull off this large undertaking.

The event was very successful in terms of the feedback we have received, with the number of guitars that found new homes (this list is still growing as commissions are still being lined up), and the outstanding music provided by Dustin and Karlijn, Frog and Toad, and the amazing Tony McManus, a gracious and loving guy!

When I think upon how to measure success, we look at not only all of the above, but maybe even more importantly we consider the lasting friendships among attendees, luthiers along with Gerry Humphrey with each other as well as with attendees, and finally with the willingness that all the musicians demonstrated to share their talents all weekend. If there was an empty chair or a guitar that needed playing or a quick demo that needed to be recorded to send to someone who could not make it, we were getting it done. Unless Tony had some food in hand, that fella was playing a guitar for someone or was just in my music room working his way through my collection just for his own fun.

Again, we thank every last one of you for coming and if I forgot a shout out to anyone, it was not intentional. We will definitely be doing a B.I.G. v. 3 and hope to see you all there again. We already have begun planning some additional events as per suggestions we have received, but one thing is clear, folks do not want us to go B.I.G.ger with the event. If we move it out of the house to a venue, everyone agrees, the charm and intimacy will be gone. I wanted say this here because we will need to cap our attendance as the house will only hold so many, so when the announcement comes out for B.I.G. v. 3 or whatever it will be called, do yourselves a favor and sign up early for a must attend event.

I say this with feeling, we love you all and were blessed to have you in our home.

Tom and Kathy!

One final pic of the crowd for the Saturday concert event!

big concert.jpg
Old 09-23-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Tom, you and Kathy put together an amazing and memorable show and I agree it should be kept at the Bowersox residence for the reasons you mentioned. You can go ahead and quote me here that I'll be glad to volunteer some help the day before and evening after next time you hold the event, it looked like a ton of work! Providing I don't have a big show myself or something booked super far out which I doubt will be important enough for me not to come.

Karlijn hasn't had much time since returning to EU to get to editing the demo videos she did for Rebecca and the show footage BUT! I have these sneaky Urlacher demos saved here for AGF eyes only (Tony hasn't emailed me back yet if I can post his awesome version of Bach cello suite on Karlijn's Urlacher in the guitar room, but it's in the link!)

For anyone interested, the Mod D and Adi/Brazilian 00 are still available, last I heard.

Urlachers in the guitar lair:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EY?usp=sharing

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-24-2021, 05:40 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I love this BIG show! It just keeps on giving long after the lights go down. There was so much going on in every corner. Thanks for sharing those videos Dustin. Just one of the many things I missed. And thank you and Tony for sharing your wonderful talents with us. Wow, wow, wow!
Old 09-24-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I love this BIG show! It just keeps on giving long after the lights go down. There was so much going on in every corner. Thanks for sharing those videos Dustin. Just one of the many things I missed. And thank you and Tony for sharing your wonderful talents with us. Wow, wow, wow!
I love this BIG show and I wasn't even there! Goodness knows how it feels for those of you who were. Must be itching for the next one
Old 09-24-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Tom, you and Kathy put together an amazing and memorable show and I agree it should be kept at the Bowersox residence for the reasons you mentioned. You can go ahead and quote me here that I'll be glad to volunteer some help the day before and evening after next time you hold the event, it looked like a ton of work! Providing I don't have a big show myself or something booked super far out which I doubt will be important enough for me not to come.

Karlijn hasn't had much time since returning to EU to get to editing the demo videos she did for Rebecca and the show footage BUT! I have these sneaky Urlacher demos saved here for AGF eyes only (Tony hasn't emailed me back yet if I can post his awesome version of Bach cello suite on Karlijn's Urlacher in the guitar room, but it's in the link!)

For anyone interested, the Mod D and Adi/Brazilian 00 are still available, last I heard.

Urlachers in the guitar lair:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EY?usp=sharing
Thanks for the videos and kind words Dustin. Tony is pretty amazing, not to mention you and Karlijn, man the house was filled with music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Isn't that right, everywhere you turn something was going on and mostly with Tony playing haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I love this BIG show and I wasn't even there! Goodness knows how it feels for those of you who were. Must be itching for the next one
We had a fellow from France here and were to have Italy and Germany as well, but travel was prevented for them. Karlijn came from the Netherlands via Croatia and last year, Rory was coming with Will McNichol. It can be done lol! Between Gerry Humphries, Tony, the Kinnairds and even myself, the Scots were well represented. Even had a neighbor come who lived in Scotland for 25 years as her father was an oil guy.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-29-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

So many superlatives already mentioned, all deserved. T & K, love you guys. When I see you, I leave wishing we lived so much closer. Seeing AGF regulars, who have also become friends, is a joy. There’s so much to love about this show, from guitars, performers, spontaneous jams, food…it’s wonderful! Thanks for putting it all together, and I am already looking forward to V3!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop