The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-09-2021, 02:27 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Come on you two ... get a room!

The Peterson guitars

Micki

Travis (plays a mean mandolin)

Dan and Doris (AGF's nootis)

And our wonderful hosts for this shindig ... Kathy and Tom

Rich (AGF's canehorn)

Jeff McManus and his significant other (oh yeah, you know who as well)

Gerry Humphrey (Humphrey Amps) and Steve Sheriff

Old 09-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Music soothes the soul!

The Lame Horse Crew (Robin, Lynn, Jeremy and Chris)

John (AGF's BlackKeys36) and the guitar he made at Kinnaird Guitars

Tom and his luthier signed poster.

Rich (AGF's canehorn) and his significant other

Travis and his significant other

The Fritson Crew

Tony McManus playing the Bloodwood Hatcher

Deep discussion

Old 09-09-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the guitars all look and sound great, but what a gas for all these wonderful people to be together in the same room. Congrats, Tom, for making this happen....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-09-2021, 03:11 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Most of these were cell phone videos so pardon the quality. This is only a sampling. Guess you will just have to come next time to get the full experience.

NKT - Natalie, Kathy and Tom

Karlijn Langendijk and Dustin Furlow

Frog and Toad

Tony McManus

Jorge and Nicole (unexpected mini concert on Sunday)

Last edited by cigarfan; 09-10-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:34 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Some assorted videos

Dustin demos Two Hands Guitars 1

Dennis and Ben - The Old Rugged Cross 1

Karlijn - First few minutes with her new Urlacher guitar 1

Frog and Toad have some fun on Hatcher Guitars 1

Tony plays my new Two Hands 00 1

Last edited by cigarfan; 09-10-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for those videos Dennis. I took pics of everyone else’s guitars but forgot to take pictures of my own. Glad to have at least the videos of Tony playing our (Tom’s) OM.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-09-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Dennis--you are a picture and video taking machine!

Thanks for taking all these great shots so that the memories remain even when our memories fade away! (If that makes any sense...)
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Smile Indeed!!!

Holy Smokes Dennis!

Way to go. Thanks from all of us enjoying these pics and videos!!!

Whee

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Smile B.I.G.

Looked like a fantastic and fun show. Thanks for sharing all the photos and videos.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 09-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So Tony McManus is obviously know world wide, been on all but two continents thus far, but he is quite an amazing singer with a lovely voice. I thought I would post this video, when he started to sing, the room was filled with a his magical tone. That is a John Kinnaird BRW guitar Tony is playing in this song. It sold the next day to a great player, an AGF member.

This song moved me to tears, and I see from the videos that I wasn’t the only one! Love this guy…so much depth in his fingerpicking…what a grand experience! So lucky I decided to go two years ago!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 09-10-2021, 08:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
This song moved me to tears, and I see from the videos that I wasn’t the only one! Love this guy…so much depth in his fingerpicking…what a grand experience! So lucky I decided to go two years ago!

I have sooooooo much to say about this weekend, that I haven’t yet been able to process it all in a manner which will allow me to convey how wonderful the experience was for me personally…but this seems like a good place to start…and if it comes across a bit disjointed, please forgive me. I’m still trying to connect the dots and make sense of it all.

I know the craziness of the past year-and-a-half has been difficult for all of us, but speaking for myself, it’s truly been life-altering. My wife and I both work from home, and because of Covid, we rarely go out into public places any longer. I hadn’t truly understood it up to this point, but the isolation from withdrawing into our family cocoon has left me with a growing void in my life. The social interaction during the weekend was such a breath of fresh air that I found myself wishing my wife, Rebecca and son, Zane were there to share the experience with me, because they are truly my whole world.

The experience of this past weekend has reinforced an internal changing-of-the-guard that has been occurring inside of me for many years now. As I’ve gotten older I’ve begun to understand that for me personally, wealth isn’t rooted in financial acquisition…but rather the value of the relationships that I cultivate. I’ve had a “guy-crush” on Dustin Furlow ever since I first heard his music. Don’t worry Dustin…I promise that it’s “platonically sonic.” Anyway, Dustin has a song on his album, The Sound That You Call Home, entitled “The Garden,” which contains a line that I find so truly profound, that some time ago I took the time to write it in the back of my “guitar-building bible” which is a journal where I keep all of my handwritten notes on the processes and procedures involved in building guitars:
IMG_5545.jpg
I spoke the words “thank you for sharing your time with me” many times this past weekend, and I’d like to take this opportunity to tell each and every one of you (from the bottom of my heart)…thank you for sharing your time with me. Whether you knew it or not, you gave me a gift…filling a void that’s been growing inside of me, and in the process, becoming part of my extended family. If any one of you ever finds yourself down around the Gulf Coast area in Alabama, I would be honored to have you visit the shop…and I will gladly clear my schedule to be able to share some of my time with you.

When Tony McManus was playing this song, I had tears running down my face…and if you were in the room while Dustin was demoing my guitars on Friday, you know that it wasn’t the only time that I was touched emotionally and moved to tears during the weekend. I left Tom and Kathy’s totally exhausted…physically, mentally and emotionally…yet find myself overflowing with gratitude.

I’ve got so much more to say, and I’ll continue to share thoughts about my experience in subsequent posts…but allow me to tie this one up with a final thought:

Tom and Kathy, thank you both for an absolutely amazing experience. You opened your home and your hearts to a group of guitar-loving people from across the globe, and given the circumstances of the global-pandemic, this was no easy task…nor was it a guaranteed-return on your investment of time and finances. Based upon, both the turnout, and the absolutely beautiful look of satisfaction on your sleep-deprived faces late Sunday afternoon as everyone was departing, I’d say you both also found it to be a rousing success. I’d like to be the first to humbly request an invitation to the next (as well as every subsequent) Bowersox International Guitarpalooza!!! If you will have me, of course…and if you weren’t able to attend this year, please consider joining us for BIGv3. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 09-10-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for posting all these, looks like it was a fantastic event and it's nice to put faces to weird screen names :-)
Old 09-11-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
I have sooooooo much to say about this weekend, that I haven’t yet been able to process it all in a manner which will allow me to convey how wonderful the experience was for me personally…but this seems like a good place to start…and if it comes across a bit disjointed, please forgive me. I’m still trying to connect the dots and make sense of it all.

I know the craziness of the past year-and-a-half has been difficult for all of us, but speaking for myself, it’s truly been life-altering. My wife and I both work from home, and because of Covid, we rarely go out into public places any longer. I hadn’t truly understood it up to this point, but the isolation from withdrawing into our family cocoon has left me with a growing void in my life. The social interaction during the weekend was such a breath of fresh air that I found myself wishing my wife, Rebecca and son, Zane were there to share the experience with me, because they are truly my whole world.

The experience of this past weekend has reinforced an internal changing-of-the-guard that has been occurring inside of me for many years now. As I’ve gotten older I’ve begun to understand that for me personally, wealth isn’t rooted in financial acquisition…but rather the value of the relationships that I cultivate. I’ve had a “guy-crush” on Dustin Furlow ever since I first heard his music. Don’t worry Dustin…I promise that it’s “platonically sonic.” Anyway, Dustin has a song on his album, The Sound That You Call Home, entitled “The Garden,” which contains a line that I find so truly profound, that some time ago I took the time to write it in the back of my “guitar-building bible” which is a journal where I keep all of my handwritten notes on the processes and procedures involved in building guitars:
Attachment 61967
I spoke the words “thank you for sharing your time with me” many times this past weekend, and I’d like to take this opportunity to tell each and every one of you (from the bottom of my heart)…thank you for sharing your time with me. Whether you knew it or not, you gave me a gift…filling a void that’s been growing inside of me, and in the process, becoming part of my extended family. If any one of you ever finds yourself down around the Gulf Coast area in Alabama, I would be honored to have you visit the shop…and I will gladly clear my schedule to be able to share some of my time with you.

When Tony McManus was playing this song, I had tears running down my face…and if you were in the room while Dustin was demoing my guitars on Friday, you know that it wasn’t the only time that I was touched emotionally and moved to tears during the weekend. I left Tom and Kathy’s totally exhausted…physically, mentally and emotionally…yet find myself overflowing with gratitude.

I’ve got so much more to say, and I’ll continue to share thoughts about my experience in subsequent posts…but allow me to tie this one up with a final thought:

Tom and Kathy, thank you both for an absolutely amazing experience. You opened your home and your hearts to a group of guitar-loving people from across the globe, and given the circumstances of the global-pandemic, this was no easy task…nor was it a guaranteed-return on your investment of time and finances. Based upon, both the turnout, and the absolutely beautiful look of satisfaction on your sleep-deprived faces late Sunday afternoon as everyone was departing, I’d say you both also found it to be a rousing success. I’d like to be the first to humbly request an invitation to the next (as well as every subsequent) Bowersox International Guitarpalooza!!! If you will have me, of course…and if you weren’t able to attend this year, please consider joining us for BIGv3. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

-joel
Thank you Mr. Cigarfan for posting all the wonderful pics and videos as well as everyone who has taken the time to right a little about their experience at B.I.G. 2021. Kathy and I are finally all cleaned up although I am still packing boxes and email many folks about a couple of guitars that caught their eye. We are overwhelmed with the emails we have been getting from all of you. Your kindness to us, your willingness to come, and your respect for our home is what made this show such a success for our luthiers, music and guitar lovers, and just for a little sanity.

Joel Teel, Two Hands Guitars, thank you for those well thought out words. I wish I had the gift of prose as you do. You captured the essence of what I think at least, makes B.I.G. stand apart. It is a guitar show yes, we have lessons, workshops, concerts, but what we do differently is establish the friendships and comradery that may not be possible in other shows. I know we don't have an exclusivity to this as I have made "friends" at other shows, but not friends like we make at B.I.G. Anyway, Joel, thank you so much as well as to all the rest of you that makes doing this show worthwhile. The luthiers had a blast and many new guitars found what is hopefully their forever homes!

Thank you.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:08 PM

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...oeSZ8EYhuQrLKo

cigarfan jamming on a Lame Horse Saddle Pal that belies it’s size!
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 09-11-2021, 02:11 PM

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...t097NyLOH_h9yM

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...4rbkSVoct6eOM1

Mr McManus demoing Kinnaird West’s Braz/Italian OM that is headed to my college roommate.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop