The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Those designs are all yours and you were just kind enough to name them like you did. Yes, the waterfall bubinga/redwood is very much a player although I’m the one who hasn’t played in a long while. I will try to record again soon and send to you. My son who is now 24 has picked it as his favorite guitar and I’ve not even told him about the Element name. He is coming home next week so I will have a story to tell.

I’ll give you a shout next time we drive through Birmingham. Meanwhile, back to this beautiful guitar….

Ernie, I hope you do come and see us sometime. I guess you didn’t know I’m not in Birmingham anymore…? I moved in 2017, to Fairhope, AL, on the coast, eastern shore of Mobile Bay. Are you still in Atlanta? If you’re ever swinging through the panhandle area, we’re about a 50 minute drive west of Pensacola.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Ernie, I hope you do come and see us sometime. I guess you didn’t know I’m not in Birmingham anymore…? I moved in 2017, to Fairhope, AL, on the coast, eastern shore of Mobile Bay. Are you still in Atlanta? If you’re ever swinging through the panhandle area, we’re about a 50 minute drive west of Pensacola.
PM sent……..
Old 08-01-2021, 01:06 PM

How might a poor soul get in line to get guitar goodness like this?

thx,

-sdo
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDO View Post
How might a poor soul get in line to get guitar goodness like this?

thx,

-sdo
Just sent you an email, Steve. Thanks for inquiring!
Have you looked into maybe attending the BIG show, a month from now? Here's is a link to Tom's thread, read all about it, if you haven't already.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610733
Old 08-04-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Just sent you an email, Steve. Thanks for inquiring!
Have you looked into maybe attending the BIG show, a month from now? Here's is a link to Tom's thread, read all about it, if you haven't already.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610733
Thanks! I took a look and while it has a great deal of detail about the event, I can't seem to find where it's actually happening?
Old 08-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks! I took a look and while it has a great deal of detail about the event, I can't seem to find where it's actually happening?
New Braunfels, Texas...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Hello, I am the host of the event, just send me a Private Message if you want more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
New Braunfels, Texas...
Thanks Nemoman, he is 100% correct and is a VIP guest, why you might ask? Because everyone coming is a VIP guest lol! (Although Nemoman is a very handsome and kind fella too!)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's now Sunday August 29. We hit the road for B.I.G. on Wednesday morning... Two more days to iron out the wrinkles and get everything ready. I could make very good use of one more month of prep time, but that's not happening.
When I was in high school, I got very active in the Theater program, both in acting and various back stage support crews. I had one leading role when I was in 12th grade. Ever since then, I've had this recurring dream, where I am about to put it all on the line on opening night... And I have never seen the script, much less rehearsed... But the show must go on... And I wake up in a cold sweat, hyperventilating in panic....
Well, it's not that bad. I do have some guitars to bring. They are all strung up now, and they all have some serious mojo in the tone, even though they are all less than a week old officially. There are some small details I wish I had time to address, but the guitars are fully functional. Perfection is for perfect people, and I'm not one of them. So it's down to ticking down the list of final details, one of which is updating this thread with photos of the completed guitars.

As I'm sitting here writing this, Hurricane Ida is about to smash into the Gulf coast, aiming at New Orleans or thereabouts. That's about 160 miles west from my home in Fairhope AL. This is a huge storm, and I'm sending out prayers for everyone in the Big Easy; we're going to get a lot of storm action here, too, probably tropical storm winds, massive rain, and possible tornadoes. This is going to be a very long day, and whatever happens on the other side of this storm, it's going to be crazy. Joel and i will be driving on I-10 West, through New Orleans, on Wednesday... maybe...
So I'd better get this post up before the power goes out.

Here's the first guitar: It's my largest model, the EP-SC Performance. The woods are: Malaysian Blackwood back and sides, 5A Adirondack Red Spruce top, Ziricote bindings, trim, bevels, scoop cutaway, fingerboard and bridge. This guitar has a 25.5" scale length, a 1 25/32" nut width, 2 1/4" string spread at saddle; an Omega headstock with Gotoh 510 mini gold tuners with black buttons; arm and rib bevels, dual side sound ports, a scoop cutaway, and all Style One trim, including an Element rosette and segmented back inlay. There's a lot of flamed Maple purfling and inlay elements too, bordered by rust colored veneer lines.
This guitar is still a very green apple, but it has a LOT of power and tone color already developing. Adirondack spruce is well known to have a long tonal maturation curve, so as good as this guitar already sounds, it's only going to get better as it plays in a bit. I'm really excited about this one!

Now, let's flip it around and see what's going on with the back...

...To be continued...
Old 08-29-2021, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Below, a couple shots of the Omega open headstock. This is the most popular headstock I make, since I introduced it in 2017. I believe straight string pull from the nut to the tuner posts improves tuning stability, and may extend string life by not putting a divergent bend in the strings at the nut. That's why all the headstocks I make taper thinner toward the crest. Unlike a slotted headstock, the Omega uses the same tuning machines as solid headstocks; which means there is a vast array of good choices for tuners. This one has my favorite, Gotoh 510 Mini tuners, with an 18:1 ratio.
The nut (and the saddle and bridge pins) are unbleached buffalo bone. I strung this guitar with D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings, which are top-notch strings.

[IMG][/IMG]

...And a few more random photos. I'd better hurry, it's getting stormy outside... I hope I get all three guitars posted before the power goes out...

Up next, a Cocobolo/ Tunnel 13 Redwood "Noir" model Zephyr 00 guitar...
Old 08-29-2021, 10:04 AM

Stunning, be safe and I will see you soon!
Old 08-29-2021, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a Double-0 that is definitely NOT a shy wallflower. This is my Zephyr 00 model, a smaller guitar that has a lot of power and presence. I named this one the "Blaze Zephyr", for the sapwood center on the psychedelic Cocobolo back.
The back and sides are pretty spectacular, even for Cocobolo. I saved this set for a special project, and this is it:

There are a number of asymmetric elements in the design of this guitar, which I am irresistibly drawn to. I love balanced, proportional asymmetry. The sapwood blaze is one asymmetric element; also the Multiscale (fanned-fret) architecture; and a newly designed Multiscale slotted headstock, a first on this guitar. I call the new headstock the "Wave" design. You can also see the Wave theme repeated all over this guitar, in crest of the headstock, the shape of the scoop cutaway, the ends of the Laskin-esque arm and rib bevels, and the Wave rosette. I don't know if that was consciously intentional when I was planning this guitar, but I'm happy that it turned out that way. We've also got the dual side sound ports, inlaid tri-port ovals with Macassar Ebony. All the body and neck trim, plus the fingerboard, headstock, bevels, scoop cutaway, and bridge are highly figured Macassar.

Here's what the front looks like, under finish, and freshly strung up... The top is Tunnel 13 Redwood, the last one I had that I bought at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in 2011, sold to me by Rod LaCoste out of the back of his station wagon. This Redwood is insanely tone-errific. The lacquer really brought out the wave-curl figure, and I decided to embellish it with a black edge shade. BTW, the scale spread on this guitar is 25"- 25.5", and this guitar is optimized for fingersyle, amenable to D- or C-based open tunings. I had it tuned down to C-minor (CGCGCEb) for the first couple days, and found myself begging for mercy when I strummed it open.

Here are some more random shots of the Blaze Zephyr:

Thanks for looking! Up next is a cute little dragon-slayer, the ES 75 Siren guitar, Brazilian Rosewood and German Spruce. Stay tuned!
Old 08-29-2021, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a brand new ES 75 Siren guitar, the non-cutaway sister to my Falcon model. The Siren and Falcon share the same body size and shape, and are the smallest guitar I currently make.This guitar is 13 1/4" wide in the lower bout, so it's smaller than an 0-size, but a bit larger than a typical Parlor guitar.

This one has Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, a German Spruce top, Flamed Pyinma bindings, and Madagascar Ebony headstock plates, fingerboard, and bridge. This is the first Siren I have made with a Pogoda slotted headstock, and a longer than standard scale length for this model, at 24.5".
This guitar has a uniquely entrancing tonal character, with a small-box vibe but a much bigger voice than you'd expect from a guitar this size. Again, it's very recently fledged, so the tone will continue to mature and get more complex for quite awhile. But if you check it out at the show, I think you'll be surprised by how much character and presence, and projection it already has.
This guitar is more of a "plain" guitar than the other two, but I did embellish it with a mosaic rosette and segmented back center inlay, Style One trim, and dual side sound ports, in the inlaid tri-port design. This guitar comes with a custom Ameritage case, Navy blue outside, with grey crushed velvet interior. I hope you get a chance to play this guitar at the B.I.G show; it will surprise you!

Hurricane Ida has just made landfall, and though I am about 150 miles east of the landfall, we're getting some serious tornado warnings, torrential rain, and lots of thunder and lightning. In other words, it's a typical late August day in coastal Alabama... Yawn...
Here are a few more pics of the Siren...

I still have a lot of things to get done to get ready for the B.I.G Show, storm or no storm. I hope I see you there, and if we meet up, I hope you'll try out these guitars and tell me what you think. Thanks a lot for looking. Everybody, be well and stay safe!
Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Steve--just WOW!

These all look amazing, and I can't wait to see them and try them out.

Safe travels to you and Joel--I look forward to seeing you both soon!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-29-2021, 02:38 PM

Beautiful guitars Steve. You have been very busy!!!! I have to say, that Siren looks amazing. I can't wait to try it out for sure. BRW with German Spruce, I mean those are the building blocks of a champion!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Steve, these look awesome! Looking forward to seeing you and catching up.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop