The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
Go for the 000. Bigger is better. You may want to try a slope shouldered dread like a J45, which also has a short scale. It's a bit more comfortable to play seated, the neck is fantastic, it's a breeze to play and it sounds great.
I pretty much agree with this - the only reason to pick the 00 is if it's more comfortable for you to play due to it's smaller size. If the 000 is adequately, comfortable, there's absolutely no downside to going with the larger option.

-Ray
Old 12-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

As an owner of several 00 sized guitars I would disagree, BTW I've owned lot's of OMs and 000 too so I have a perspective.

AS I wrote in an earlier post in this thread to my ear the 00 is a more balanced guitar. Better for recording requiring less EQ to deal w/ the bottom end. Improved balance in the bass to treble response over larger guitars.

If you want as much bottom as you can get in a smaller guitar, sure,.. an OM or 000 is excellent. If you want balance in your life,.. 00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I pretty much agree with this - the only reason to pick the 00 is if it's more comfortable for you to play due to it's smaller size. If the 000 is adequately, comfortable, there's absolutely no downside to going with the larger option.

-Ray
Old 12-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
As an owner of several 00 sized guitars I would disagree, BTW I've owned lot's of OMs and 000 too so I have a perspective.

AS I wrote in an earlier post in this thread to my ear the 00 is a more balanced guitar. Better for recording requiring less EQ to deal w/ the bottom end. Improved balance in the bass to treble response over larger guitars.

If you want as much bottom as you can get in a smaller guitar, sure,.. an OM or 000 is excellent. If you want balance in your life,.. 00.
As someone who’s just played a number of them back to back in shops, but hasn’t had the in-depth experience you get with ownership. I’ll take your word for it. I didn’t have that experience, but I didn’t spend enough time to notice all of the subtleties in the comparison.

Me, I split the difference with a CEO-7, a slope shouldered 00 that’s more like an 000 in some dimensions. If an 000-18 had the neck profile and string spacing of the CEO, I’d have probably gone with that instead, but I can’t imagine liking it more than the CEO, so no regrets!

-Ray
Old 12-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Garth...I am looking REALLY hard at a new 000-28 at a local shop. Let us know which one you choose...so I can get a hands-on review from you!
Old 12-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

My vote goes to the 00-28.
But- Hard to go wrong with the Martin Standard Series which ever you choose...

Have fun!

madhat.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

By the way...have you considered the mahogany option, maybe the 00-18 or 000-18?
Old 12-18-2020, 10:09 PM

Garth

Will be looking forward to some warmer weather so you can come try a variety of smaller guitars. Hope that day is soon enough. You haven’t mentioned a time frame for your purchase (or a price range). As I mentioned earlier, mine little guys aren’t for sale, and the smaller ones are mahagony. They should give you a good idea on projection and volume, as well as comfort - especially if you are thinking about the possibility of 12 fretters. Are you leaning 12 or 14 or undecided? I use medium tension Santa Cruz on my 0018vs and my SC OM (rosewood b&s). To me they are plenty loud. They get heard when friends are here with their mandos and guitars. The PJ is basically what I believe to be an 0 size. It has to have low tensions. It has great volume. I was shocked when I got it a few years back. Used to have a 00017s. Another 12 fretter. Still get to play it some as it now belongs to a good friend. It has been mentioned in this thread that OMs and 000s are the same size. The 12 fretters have a different shape from the OM shape as often as not and to me, they are the most comfortable guitar to hold and play. Thinking of distance and price are imaginary issues, would bet you would play the 00028 Roberts has for sale here in the classifieds, and find it hard to find a guitar you like much better (given stated affection for Martin, rosewood and the size). Might want to consider something like that. I believe it will have a similar neck to my 0018vs. Hope you are having fun thinking about it and anticipating.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-18-2020, 11:31 PM

If I could only keep one steel string guitar, it would be my Martin 000-28EC. It does everything that I want it to, and has a rich sound. I'd also have to keep one of my classical guitars for some of the Latin stuff that I play.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:58 PM

I agree with 000 recommendations.

My daily driver and favorite is a 00 RW/Adirondack. but I also have a late 90's 000-28ec and it's a fantastic guitar in all regards.

If i could only keep one it would be the 000. The string spacing at the bridge is a dream and the Mod v neck is more comfortable to me than my other guitars, and I have pretty smallish hands.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Me, I split the difference with a CEO-7, a slope shouldered 00 that’s more like an 000 in some dimensions. If an 000-18 had the neck profile and string spacing of the CEO, I’d have probably gone with that instead, but I can’t imagine liking it more than the CEO, so no regrets!

-Ray
I wonder if my WL-12 has the same dimensions as a CEO-7s body size. Going between my 00-15 and the WL-12, the Waterloo feels smaller. Could just be the 12 frets vs. 14.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I wonder if my WL-12 has the same dimensions as a CEO-7s body size. Going between my 00-15 and the WL-12, the Waterloo feels smaller. Could just be the 12 frets vs. 14.
The OO-15 also has a 25.4" scale, compared to 24.78" on the Waterloo - that'll make a guitar feel bigger than it is, and the 12 vs 14 frets could add to that impression. I just did a screen shot of the available dimensions of the WL-12 vs the CEO-7:

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 2.06.13 PM by Ray, on Flickr\

The CEO has a little bit longer body, slightly less depth, but identical body width, which is clearly measured at the lower bout for both. Both also have similarly small upper bouts by comparison. But the CEO is also a 14-fret guitar, even with the sloped shoulder. But is close in scale length at 24.9". So the biggest difference in feel between the two guitars might just be the 12 vs 14 fret join...

-Ray
Old 12-19-2020, 04:23 PM

I have an 00-28 and it's the first acoustic I pick up. I don't play live anymore and just noodle around at home, but I really like the balanced feel of it on my lap more than the 000-28. I liked it so much that I got rid of my 12-fret Taylor 812ce, which I found more uncomfortable to hold and especially to fret when playing up the neck.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:14 PM

So I went to Washington Music Center in DC and got the 00-28. I tried an 000-18, and really liked the 12-fret Taylors. But, in the end, I love this Martin. The tone is very round, louder than I expected, and it’s so easy to play. Wife loves it, we named it “Lifer.” This nenas I should keep it. I’ve been trading and playing since forever, I made a promise I’ll keep this one around—even if I trade or buy others.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Maybe a 000 is next!?!

Old 12-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
So I went to Washington Music Center in DC and got the 00-28. I tried an 000-18, and really liked the 12-fret Taylors. But, in the end, I love this Martin. The tone is very round, louder than I expected, and it’s so easy to play. Wife loves it, we named it “Lifer.” This nenas I should keep it. I’ve been trading and playing since forever, I made a promise I’ll keep this one around—even if I trade or buy others.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Maybe a 000 is next!?!

wise choice

madhat.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:40 PM

Truthfully, you wouldn't have gone wrong either way. Enjoy your new instrument!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin