The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 AM

A crossover nylon guitar with a small body and loud sound. I don't know that you'll find that. It will certainly be loud enough to play at home without an amp. If you're playing with others I suspect you will be disappointed in your volume.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisev2001 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to buy a crossover nylon guitar. I would like to have a guitar with loud enough volume without an amplifier. I know that crossover guitars have a preamplifier and smaller guitar body which affects directly the volume.

My first option is a takamine tc135sc but I played the takamine TH90. The TH90 sounded dark and with low volume from my point of view.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Your answers are more than welcome.

Best Regards, Daniel.
Hi Daniel,
There seems to be a basic misunderstanding as to what a crossover guitar is. The term "crossover" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with amplification or body size. Here's a bit of descriptive information:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...Crossover.html
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 AM

In my experience crossover guitars are not made to be quieter for the sake of electronics, and do not necessarily have a preamp and pickup installed.

My Cervantes Crossover 1 is awesome without amplification, great set-up and playability too. I have a K&K aftermarket pickup installed (no onboard preamp, I like controls at my feet) but I don't use it much. In spite of the fretboard radius it still plays much like a classical and doesn't take long to adjust to.

I used to have a LaPatrie Hybrid that also filled the need.

Frankly, if I wanted anything louder, I'd get a Godin Multiac. Otherwise a crossover will have enough acoustic volume if it's any good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion