The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Compared: BBT vs. Martin GPG-X2E (and bonus Breedlove)

Hi All, first post here, and wanted to share my thoughts on two of the lower-end models from Martin and Taylor as I now own one of each. With the Big Baby Taylor (E) being in the same price range as the Martin GPC-X2E and both having similar body construction (solid spruce top and laminate back/sides) I thought it might be helpful to others to share my experience.

The BBT was purchased new in 2001 by me, played for a couple years, loaned to my little brother for almost 15 years, and I just got it back a few months ago. It went into the luthier for a full setup, repair, and adjustment.

The Martin (a 2021 model) was purchased new by my about a week ago because I wanted something with an onboard pickup. My BBT was NOT the BBTe so I cannot compare electronics but I will give my opinion on the Martin. The pickup is mostly so I can plug into a recording interface on my PC without messing with mics and lay down some song ideas or send a sound clip to some lady I am trying to impress when she says, "Oh, you play the guitar? I want to hear you play..."

Both models I think serve a similar need - a bare-bones quality workhorse guitar you can throw in a gig bag, take to the park, do some light recording, or practice at home. There are differences in terms of body size and shape, as well as nut width, I can definitely see someone trying to decide between the two (I know I thought about buying another BBT with an onboard pickup).

Without further storytelling, here is my breakdown...

Physical Attributes

Both guitars are solid spruce tops, laminate sides, no binding on the top. The BBT has a rosewood fretboard. The new X2E's are a "select hardwood" fretboard. The BBT fretboard looks more natural, but the X2E is definitely a smoother, darker, more uniform finish. Overall the quality of the finishes are similar, with a slight edge going to the BBT for the quality of the laminate looking more like natural wood.

The tops are both a low-gloss, natural spruce and look similar. The old BBTs had a printed rosette and the newer ones look like they have a solid black painted on rosette. Not unattractive, but definitely nothing special. The X2E has a "mother-of-pearl style" (acrylic) rosette which adds a touch of quality and flash. Not too much... just enough for me.

I do LOVE the shape of the Taylor pickguards (mine didn't come with one but the newer ones do). The X2E pickguard is the typical teardrop shape.

One thing I HATE about the BBT is the screws that go through the fretboard to attach the neck. Yuck. This looks like something from a 1960's Sears catalog acoustic. I had these come loose in the past as well, requiring shim replacement at a factory repair center (because, you know, Taylor won't just sell you the stupid shim kits). I give this an F-

The Martin is a typical mortise and tenon joint on the neck. Extremely solid, A+ work here. Looks great, feels great. Very solid.

The biggest detractor from the BBT is you simply cannot get one with a cutaway. Good luck reaching anything past the 13th fret comfortably. The X2E has a venetian cutaway giving full access basically all the way up.

Playability

I'm going to talk about out-of-the-box here. To be honest, I never loved the BBT. Despite Taylor being known for a great factory set-up, I found the opposite. The action was sub-par and only got worse over time due to the crappy neck attachment (maybe I got a bad one?). After a full set-up this REALLY improved. I expect this out of a bottom-of-the-barrel "cheap" guitar, but when I am getting into the > $500 price range, my expectations are a bit higher. It doesn't have to be perfect-for-me, but it should be acceptable. After a setup with a set of Elixir lights, the BBT is one of the nicest playing little guitars around, but it cost me an extra $120.00.

The X2E had, hands down, the best factory setup I have seen in a guitar at this price range. It was nice and low, zero buzz, perfect intonation across the entire range. This actually completely made up for the price difference between the BBTe and the X2E. I don't have any intention of taking the X2E in until it truly needs something. Great feeling to pay a solid chunk of change for a guitar and not have to spend another chunk just to get it to play the way you want.

The BBT has a 1 11/16th nut, and the X2E has a 1 3/4 nut. For my preference, the Martin is the winner here since I have size 2xl hands. It is simply more comfortable for me to make shapes with a little extra room.

Sound

Trying to keep this objective since everyone's ear and preference is different. The BBT, as you would expect being a smaller, shallower body and also a Taylor, is very very bright. I find the sound a bit "thin" in comparison to the X2E. The midrange is shimmery, but it lacks a little at both the high and low ends (not unexpected due to body size) with volume falling off and the lows sounding a bit dead and muddy. Volume is surprising for a small guitar.

The X2E definitely lacks the brightness of the BBT, but it makes up for it by being extremely balanced all across the range. Great sounding guitar and very consistent.

In terms of different playing styles, the BBT seems to shine when flat-picked. The brightness and definition are just impressive. This would probably translate into fingerpicks, but if you are using fingertips vs nails or picks (my preference) you're going to be unhappy. The midrange bias causes the highs to blend in or simply disappear, and the lows sound sludgy and dead. When campfire strumming cowboy chords, you'll find that you can drive the BBT way too hard and things start to break up. Again, the midrange seems to overwhelm.

The X2E again is extremely balanced. Regardless of what style I am playing I find it capable and pleasing. Definitely a lot more substance behind the sound. Not quite as impressive when flat-picked, but a far more capable plucker and strummer than the BBT. This is a great all-around guitar for someone looking to do it all. I can drive it as hard as I want and the chords stay clean, and when I bite down on the pick and use my fingers, I'm impressed with how nothing seems to get lost.

Electronics

I won't do a comparison here, but the whole reason I "upgraded" from the BBT was because I wanted electronics. I can't compare what Taylor provides, but I will say that, when played through an amp (nothing fancy - a Boss Katana MKII solid state, acoustic presets, a little reverb, 4x12 Carvin cab) it really sounds natural. Just gorgeous, and I would not hesitate to gig with a similar setup. I can't say enough about how happy I was with this thing plugged in. I did also plug it directly into a Behringer recording interface and I honestly didn't like the sound... very unnatural. I haven't played around enough to figure out the issue since I just got the guitar a few days ago.

The Taylor gets a technical nod however because the preamp is accessible on the top (vs. inside the soundhole) and it has a built-in tuner. The Martin has no tuner.

Overall Impression

I love Taylor guitars. Always have. I had a 12-string Taylor 355 that sounded and played majestically (sold it to pay for a few hours of divorce lawyer). That said, for a $100-ish price difference, the Martin GPC-X2E blows the Big Baby out of the water. It is a more balanced, more versatile, better-constructed, better looking, better playing instrument.

Don't get me wrong... I think the BBT is a sweet little guitar to take along to the bonfire or strum chords in the armchair. I was thinking of giving mine to my daughter who is starting to show interest, and it is such a nice player that it won't deter her from wanting to learn, and it is pleasing to listen to in a casual setting. For the price? I have a hard time saying this is a good value. I think a significant portion of what you get for your money is the stenciled name on the headstock.

The X2E, in my opinion, is in a different class. It isn't flashy, nothing is particularly stand-out, and that is the appeal to me... I feel like I got exactly what I paid for - an extremely well-built, plain-jane, solid, great-sounding guitar. The value is definitely there. There are absolutely other options out there in this range that are probably awesome, but when I played this guitar, it felt like playing a really expensive guitar. It wasn't a Martin in name. It was a Martin guitar.

Contender - The Breedlove Discovery Concert CE

I looked at one of these at the local music store several times and was actually going to buy it, and when I went up to get it, it had already been sold and there wasn't another in-stock. I ended up going elsewhere that had one as well as the Martin I bought. In all fairness, the Breedlove runs $399 - $479 vs. the Martin GPC-X2E at $699, but I am so glad that the one I almost bought was out of stock. Again, the Martin blows it out of the water. It sounds better and plays better in every way. I thought the setup/action on the Breedlove was pretty poor, so add $120 and suddenly the price difference starts to disappear, and even if it played as well, it was never going to sound as well or have the same versatility. It was a nice enough guitar, and if I was really strapped for cash where $150 meant a new guitar or no guitar, I'd buy one. I really love the aesthetics and the gloss finishes are pretty gorgeous. BUT... again, not the same class of instrument IMO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPi...vcLPpw/preview

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
big baby, martin, taylor, x2e