The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default NGD...delayed (Martin D-18 content)

Bummer. My new Martin D-18 was scheduled to arrive tomorrow...until it wasn't. UPS just notified me delivery time has change to Monday. Dang. That beauty is going to sit in storage all weekend instead of my lap.

Worth the wait, though...especially when I look at the pictures Maury took at the shop before she was shipped...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Last edited by Rev Roy; 05-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Just playing mine...well worth the wait. Be the first time I looked forward to Monday!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful wood. Iconic guitar. Congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I thought you were done with big guitars Rev!?!?

Anyways Congrats!!! Looks really nice. I want one too now.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I thought you were done with big guitars Rev!?!?

Anyways Congrats!!! Looks really nice. I want one too now.
Busted! Loved my small body guitars so much I've been dreadless for the last few months. Big mistake. Being righted with the beauty arriving Monday.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 PM

I was playing my D18 immediately before opening this thread
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Busted! Loved my small body guitars so much I've been dreadless for the last few months. Big mistake. Being righted with the beauty arriving Monday.
I was also playing my D-18 prior to opening this. Lol

May I offer some advice? I've been playing smaller bodies for the past year or so,. Always wanted a D-18 or D-28, and owned dreads my whole life, just couldn't afford a Martin. So my two dreads have sat in their cases for a couple years now while I've gravitated towards my palor style and OM style guitars I've acquired since. So when I got a deal on this D-18, I jumped on it! Well, when I got it home, I found myself struggling to play such a large guitar. I actually got to wondering if I made a mistake buying a dread. Everything was throwing me off! The neck and the body. Well it's been a month, and I'm coming around.. i had to put away my other guitars and focus purely on my D-18, which wasn't too hard because my other guitars are $500 guitars. Obviously the D-18 sounds way better, but it's taken a while to accustom my arms, hands, and fingers to the D-18. Now that I'm focused solely on the D-18, it's really growing on me! And I've gone back to my others, just today actually, and I'm not feeling them as much right now. Lol

My advice, if you should find yourself feeling similarly... do your comparisons (obviously lol), then put away the others and focus purely on the D-18 for a good few weeks.

Basically, you can NOT go wrong with a D-18.

Congrats, enjoy!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Martin has been using some great looking mahogany on these D18's and this one is no exception, congrats !
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 AM

Just about my favourite acoustic guitar on the planet.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperB View Post
I was also playing my D-18 prior to opening this. Lol

May I offer some advice? I've been playing smaller bodies for the past year or so,. Always wanted a D-18 or D-28, and owned dreads my whole life, just couldn't afford a Martin. So my two dreads have sat in their cases for a couple years now while I've gravitated towards my palor style and OM style guitars I've acquired since. So when I got a deal on this D-18, I jumped on it! Well, when I got it home, I found myself struggling to play such a large guitar. I actually got to wondering if I made a mistake buying a dread. Everything was throwing me off! The neck and the body. Well it's been a month, and I'm coming around.. i had to put away my other guitars and focus purely on my D-18, which wasn't too hard because my other guitars are $500 guitars. Obviously the D-18 sounds way better, but it's taken a while to accustom my arms, hands, and fingers to the D-18. Now that I'm focused solely on the D-18, it's really growing on me! And I've gone back to my others, just today actually, and I'm not feeling them as much right now. Lol

My advice, if you should find yourself feeling similarly... do your comparisons (obviously lol), then put away the others and focus purely on the D-18 for a good few weeks.

Basically, you can NOT go wrong with a D-18.

Congrats, enjoy!
Hi TrapperB,

You definitely should try a recent 000-18. They definitely share something with the D-18 (which I own and love) but with much more comfort. Usually I don't like the sound of smaller bodies except the 000-15M. For example I don't really bound to 000-28EC. But the 000-18 is a totally different animal. It's not mid heavy or overly bright. You get that woody, organic post 2012 D-18 tone but in a smaller format.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 05-12-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 AM

I know how you feel waiting for NGD. I'm a lefty and ordered a 000-28 through my local guitar shop. He told me it would take three weeks to come in, three weeks later I called to see if he heard anything and was told it would take another six weeks!

I never played a real martin because no stores stock any lefties worth anything so I was nervous that I wouldn't even like it after waiting for so long.

Finally last week after waiting nine it came and I've had a hard time putting it down ever since.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi TrapperB,

You definitely should try a recent 000-18. They definitely share something with the D-18 (which I own and love) but with much more comfort. Usually I don't like the sound of smaller bodies except the 000-15M. For example I don't really bound to 000-28EC. But the 000-18 is a totally different animal. It's not mid heavy or overly bright. You get that woody, organic post 2012 D-18 tone but in a smaller format.

Cuki
Thanks

I'll keep that in mind. I have a feeling when I am ready for a new one, though, I may be looking at a used.. possibly 12 fret, possibly rosewood b/s, and possibly adi top... oh, and a slotted headstock. I know that's very specific, but those are the four things I've really wanted in a guitar for a long time. So... I know if I got 3 of the 4 in my next guitar, I'd then want another guitar with the fourth item lol so I figure I might as well spend the money and get it all in one shot!

Sorry to go off topic. Keep us posted about your D-18 arrival

And to the guy who mentioned the mahogany on the newer D-18's,totally right! The mahogany looks fantastic on almost everyone I see lately!
Old 05-12-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Bummer. My new Martin D-18 was scheduled to arrive tomorrow...until it wasn't. UPS just notified me delivery time has change to Monday. Dang. That beauty is going to sit in storage all weekend instead of my lap.

Worth the wait, though...especially when I look at the pictures Maury took at the shop before she was shipped...

Hi enjoy your new guitar , you won't be disappointed
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM

congrats these are great guitars

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Man, you are going to love this guitar. You will understand shortly.

I ordered a different guitar about a year ago and it got delayed in the mail until a weekend when I was going to be out of town (bowling tournament). It was torture knowing it had arrived and I was not there to unbox it and play. The weekend will pass and you'll have your D-18 in your arms and the agony will be forgotten. Or at least put away for the time being. Enjoy it once you've got it. These are great guitars!
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion