The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 10:39 AM

Default seeking advice on spruce top repair

A friend was offering to sell me her 11-year-old Martin DCPA4. when i brought it home to check it out i found the spruce top was warped and caving in a little at the base near the end pin about 4-5 inches long and an inch and a half up the top. there are 3 points in this damage where it looks like the top is getting ready to split and crack. looks like she didn't take very good care or hydrate the instrument over the years, so it must be pretty dried out. i am not going to buy the guitar, but i wonder if anyone can give me a rough idea what it would cost to have a luthier repair it. i would like to tell her the cost of the repair and the reason i am not buying it. it also needs a setup because the strings are way too high. i'm trying to attach a picture. you cannot see the damage, but it shows the area. i'm sure she wasn't aware of this problem because it's hard to see. but when i ran my hand over the area the warped and sunken wood was very apparent. thanks
[IMGhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJSeXoTWUAAbby2?format=jpg&name=l] arge[/IMG]
2001 Martin D-28
2023 Martin DX12
2002 Seagull Maritime SWS
2018 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Fusion
2016 Orangewood Echo 12
2006 Ibanez Artcore AK86-DVS-12-01

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion