The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 02:53 PM

Default Re-"Digging" My GS Mini!

When I first became able to add to my meager (two) guitar collection, one of the first instruments I bought -- based on looks (and price) alone was the GS Mini-e Koa version (not the Plus; Taylor added that later). I had been shopping for a small, travel-size guitar, and so it fit the bill.

The first time I strummed a chord I fell in love. Despite its size, the guitar had overtones, long sustained notes, and with my small hands and thin fingers, a playability I had not experienced with other guitars. I love it so much that I don't travel with it, and I bought an SKB hard shell case for it to protect it.

But I've added guitars, and I find every guitar has its own characteristics that endears it to me. Which means that I go for periods of time when the GS Mini sits in its case, Humidipak in place.

I will be heading out on the longest pleasure trip I've taken since I became an adult. And I can't take a guitar with me. So, I felt like I should wear my fingers to the bone in advance, and it occurred to me that I haven't played my GS Mini in a while.

Now, it's sitting next to me on the sofa, and I've just been inspired by it! I wrote my one and only song in 1972, and all of a sudden, I'm revisiting it, adding to it, embellishing it, adding an instrumental solo, and the GS Mini is making it all possible. One of the embellishments includes a five fret arpeggio, which is next to impossible on some of my other guitars.

There's no real point to this post other than to express my enjoyment in playing a great guitar that I might have overlooked on other days. That is all.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
...I will be heading out on the longest pleasure trip I've taken since I became an adult. And I can't take a guitar with me...
No problem, just pick one up along the way - that's what I used to do when my wife and I went on extended road trips, and you never know what you'll find in little off-the-beaten-path mom-&-pop stores...

BTW I'm with you on the GS Mini koa: our last band's vocalist had one that was absolutely amazing, and during rehearsal breaks our bass player and I couldn't keep our hands off of it...
Old 03-23-2024, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Great post, and enjoy the trip. My GS mini is mahogany and I too love it. I playing it a lot, especially when working out a tricky finger style tune I'm learning as it's so easy to play.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Too bad you can't take it with you. If I can swing it, I take my mahogany Mini travelling, but sometimes you just have to go without. Enjoy the trip. Anyway, add me to the list of Mini admirers.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion