The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Question Overall guitar length difference in Taylor GC 12 fret vs 14 fret * QUESTION ANSWERED!

I've googled and searched and cannot find an answer. What is the overall length of a Taylor GC 12 fret and a Taylor GC 14 fret? I can find body length and scale length but not overall guitar length. Any help will be appreciated!

QUESTION ANSWERED! Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited by salsarev; 03-23-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:50 PM

Don't have either of these handy, but you'd subtract the distance between the 12th and 14th fret on a 14 fret to body version of an x12 Taylor and the 12 fretter would be that much shorter.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerling View Post
Don't have either of these handy, but you'd subtract the distance between the 12th and 14th fret on a 14 fret to body version of an x12 Taylor and the 12 fretter would be that much shorter.
Not necessarily. One of the differences between 12 & 14 frets is the bridge location. Often the bridge is placed differently, meaning that the overall guitars isn't necessarily that much different in length.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone have the two models on hand who could measure them? Or, if you have one or the other, post the measurement for your model, please.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:52 AM

Bummer it's hard to find on the web. It's a weekend but during business hours a quick call to the factory (they answer with humans!) will answer this.

Fwiw, the 12F obviously locates the neck a bit deeper into the body so finding the length of any GC should give you a close answer. Are you needing exact length for a case perhaps?

Edward
Old 03-23-2024, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Bummer it's hard to find on the web. It's a weekend but during business hours a quick call to the factory (they answer with humans!) will answer this.

Fwiw, the 12F obviously locates the neck a bit deeper into the body so finding the length of any GC should give you a close answer. Are you needing exact length for a case perhaps?

Edward
I'm just curious. I've owned both 12 and 14 fret GC's in the past and enjoyed both. I'm thinking of buying another one but there are no dealers anywhere close to me who have both in stock. Thanks for your reply!

David
Old 03-23-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Not necessarily. One of the differences between 12 & 14 frets is the bridge location. Often the bridge is placed differently, meaning that the overall guitars isn't necessarily that much different in length.
True: if you keep the scale length constant then the bridge location has to change because you can't have it both ways.

Except that the bridge location can change only w.r.t. the shoulders rather than w.r.t. the tail end or the waist. IOW, the body can be shortened as if by creating a cutaway on both sides of the neck. In this case the number of frets doesn't (have to) change if the soundhole is kept in the same position w.r.t. the tail or bridge.

On the Taylor grand concert (x12ce) models I've seen the 12-fretters have I think 2 frets less in total, suggesting that scale length, body size and soundhole-in-body location were kept constant but the entire sounding string length between nut and saddle shifted backwards over the distance between the 12th and 14th frets.

(17 frets does feel a bit ... avaricious for a 3k+ instrument like the 612ce, IMHO!)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-23-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
I'm just curious. I've owned both 12 and 14 fret GC's in the past and enjoyed both. I'm thinking of buying another one but there are no dealers anywhere close to me who have both in stock. Thanks for your reply!

David
Hey David,

So if it's just curiosity, then the overall length diff between the two is noticeable, but not off-putting. Like if you're accustomed to any Taylor GC, the 12F feels a bit more comfy as your fretting hand is reaching a tad less vs a regular GC. It's not a world of difference IMO; but enough to feel "easier" so to speak.

Edward
Old 03-23-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

38-1/2" GC 12-fret short scale slot-head. add 1/2" for end-pin.

Add 1-3/8" for frets 13 & 14.

Need measurements on a Gibson AG Parlor?
Old 03-23-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
38-1/2" GC 12-fret short scale slot-head. add 1/2" for end-pin.

Add 1-3/8" for frets 13 & 14.

Need measurements on a Gibson AG Parlor?
LOL... I thought you sold the parlor? Thank you, Marty! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:24 AM

I don't have both, but I considered them both when I was buying a 322ce. I wound up buying the 14 fret model because I wanted the extra reach on the neck. But they are identical in size. Here are two images from Taylor to show how the bridge position makes the difference.

14 fret:

And the 12 fret (note the slotted headstock, too!)

Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=salsarev;7431733]... guitar length difference in Taylor GC 12 fret vs 14 fret..../QUOTE]

About two frets............. assuming same scale. You can read more here.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...%20personality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion