The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I've tried and tried to connect quaker oats cans to my 8 year old laptop but it just doesn't work. Got any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?
You probably need a Mogami string. Also, you get better tone with Progresso cans rather than Campbell soup cans.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-22-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I've tried and tried to connect quaker oats cans to my 8 year old laptop but it just doesn't work. Got any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?
I suggest you listen to more realistic advice.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:39 PM

How much distance do you like to use when you record vocals? I personally like about 18 inches of space between me and the mic when I record.

The reason I am asking is because a Shure SM57 or Beta57 sounds almost identical to a Shure SM7B at that distance. A Shure Beta56 sounds like a Beta57, but runs the cables directly down the mic stand like an SM7B.

I recently have started using a Shure Beta56 instead of my SM7B because it sounds the same from 18 inches, but has enough gain that I don't have to use a FetHead or CloudLifter.

I actually prefer this for guitar and vocals recording to either my SM7B or my AT4050ST condenser mic, at least in an untreated home environment.

What I particularly like is that it is small in the video frame, and the design makes the cable run look tidy.

The Beta56 cost me less than $100 on eBay.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:15 PM

I've never heard of Roswell mics before and have been researching those also. The Mini K47 looks promising. I see they have an option for a higher level output also. That is appealing. The mic will never be used for anything louder than maybe hard strumming an acoustic guitar. In a lot of the sample audio I've heard (both on the website below - check the audio tab - as well as youtube mic comparisons) the frequency range and "pop" of the mids is appealing. It is a brighter mic than their K87 model - and that is what I am wanting to pick up the sustain and "twang" of the acoustic strings. The K87 is noticeably more "muddy" to me, but it seems to have a wider/fatter sound.

https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mini-k47

I am not opposed to a large diaphragm mic. Though, there aren't any adjustments in this one so from a versatility perspective it is a "one setting" mic from what I see.

I also know online shopping is not the same as plugging a mic in and listening to it myself.

I do have a friend that has been in the live sound business for decades so there may be a chance to try a few mics just to get a better baseline, not that they would be the exact mics I'd be shopping for, but something to get a comparison would be a good thing. I have a couple dynamics here that I've had for 18-25 years so those are the baselines I have at the moment - and I'm sure a higher quality condenser will blow the doors off the old dynamics.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 PM

Bluebird, usually around $300. Has an integral cut and takes phantom. Comes with an isolator.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-23-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
I've never heard of Roswell mics before and have been researching those also. The Mini K47 looks promising. I see they have an option for a higher level output also. That is appealing. The mic will never be used for anything louder than maybe hard strumming an acoustic guitar. In a lot of the sample audio I've heard (both on the website below - check the audio tab - as well as youtube mic comparisons) the frequency range and "pop" of the mids is appealing. It is a brighter mic than their K87 model - and that is what I am wanting to pick up the sustain and "twang" of the acoustic strings. The K87 is noticeably more "muddy" to me, but it seems to have a wider/fatter sound.

https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mini-k47

I am not opposed to a large diaphragm mic. Though, there aren't any adjustments in this one so from a versatility perspective it is a "one setting" mic from what I see.

I also know online shopping is not the same as plugging a mic in and listening to it myself.

I do have a friend that has been in the live sound business for decades so there may be a chance to try a few mics just to get a better baseline, not that they would be the exact mics I'd be shopping for, but something to get a comparison would be a good thing. I have a couple dynamics here that I've had for 18-25 years so those are the baselines I have at the moment - and I'm sure a higher quality condenser will blow the doors off the old dynamics.
I added a Mini K47 to my collection a few months ago and really impressed! Check out Virtual Showroom livestreams on the Roswell YouTube channel, part 1 of 3 was tracking acoustic guitars and vocals in the studio with comparisons of the Mini K47 & K87. The 47 capsule is a good contrast to my current 1st gen Rode NT1 and Studio Projects C3 LDC mics.
95 Ovation Custom Legend
Old 01-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Regardless of the microphone you may be looking to purchase, the Recording Hacks website microphone database is a wealth of information on a LOT of microphone brands and models, with great descriptions, response graphs, etc.

The more you know the more likely your choice will be appropriate for your particular application.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

The owner of Recording Hacks website, Matt Mcglynn, also started and owns "Roswell Pro Audio".
Old 01-23-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I've been happy with my MXL V67G at ~$80. Yes, I know it's not perfect but I'm using it in an untreated room through a used Scarlet 2i2.
FWIW- I'm happy with my MXL V67G as well.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
The ADK 3 Zigma line is quite good and very reasonable, especially if you can do without a built-in roll-off or pad.
Agreed, the 3-Zigma are a really good value in their price range (buy directly from ADK)

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-23-2021, 11:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you can step up to $499 you can afford a tube LDC, the MXL Revelation II. It is a tube LDC based around a reproduction K67 capsule. I own the original model of the Revelation and wrote up a review of it including a comparison to a couple of Neumann mics, HERE. There is a Sound-On-Sound review of the original, HERE. The MKII model was re-engineered to sound the same but be offered at reduced cost. There is a Mix Magazine review of the MKII HERE.

There is a wonderful amateur clip of the original Rev on a soprano, here:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If you can step up to $499 you can afford a tube LDC, the MXL Revelation II.
Hadn't heard that mic before, and based on the YT demo I like it. Based on the distance and the voice in the video, I bet it gets pretty woofy if a male gets up close, but that might not be a deal breaker.

The Mix review, btw, has a handy tidbit about polarity-reversing. If you have a PT TDM system, as I do, you'll find that this is a trick that works most of the time. The polarity switch on the power supply is also handy because many Asian-made 3rd party power supplies ship pin-3-hot, which can give you fits in a multi-mic situation.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 01-23-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:53 AM

I emailed Roswell and Matt replied. With that info and the examples I've heard so far I went ahead and ordered a K47 - with the high output upgrade. It seems to be a no-brainer, even if there are some scenarios it won't work in I have other mics (a couple dynamics namely) that I can try. I do agree with the theory that a mic is only a tool. It isn't necessarily that one tool is better than another, rather not every task requires the same tool.

My buddy that works with live sound did make the comment that the only place he uses condenser mics is drum overheads. The point was made that the condensers are very sensitive and pick up "everything" and 95% of the time that doesn't work for him. However, his environments are a lot different than mine and what I am looking for IS that sensitivity - I want the mic to pick up the crisp'ness of my acoustic guitars, for example, and the same is true for speech.

I am really anxious to hear what the mic sounds like here.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you can step up to $499 you can afford a tube LDC, the MXL Revelation II. It is a tube LDC based around a reproduction K67 capsule. I own the original model of the Revelation and wrote up a review of it including a comparison to a couple of Neumann mics,
There's also the new "Mini" version, FET, Cardiod only, for $299. I just reviewed it for Acoustic Guitar. Given that it's 1) AG, and 2) I don't sing, the review focuses on its use for guitar. Pretty impressive mic for the price:

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-revi...oustic-guitar/
Old 01-23-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
If you can step up to $499 you can afford a tube LDC, the MXL Revelation II. It is a tube LDC based around a reproduction K67 capsule.

WOW.

If I saw your post before I ordered the K47 I would have thought hard about it. Regardless, I will put this one on my list to get down the road. I have looked at the Rode K2 a couple times. The MXL Revelation II is a more affordable mic in that class. It actually isn't much more expensive than the K47. Mine came out to $429 - custom high output and I got the upgraded finish/molded brass logo.

We'll see what the future holds. For now I think I'll be pretty well set with the K47.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
There's also the new "Mini" version, FET, Cardiod only, for $299. I just reviewed it for Acoustic Guitar. Given that it's 1) AG, and 2) I don't sing, the review focuses on its use for guitar. Pretty impressive mic for the price:

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-revi...oustic-guitar/
Nice review, Doug!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD