The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Peter,

Excellent! I think you have the hang of this.

I was particularly impressed by the beautiful tone you were able to produce. That has to be very encouraging to you.

Also, what a great place to choose to record. No reverb needed is right. It's wonderful that you have access to this church for these recordings.

The room makes a big difference, but you still have to play well, which you ably demonstrated.

Great stuff! and hope to hear much more in the future!

Thanks very much for the support (again) Andre - I was pleased with the overall tone, but a little disappointed not to have played it better. I think the cold fingers and being slightly out of my comfort zone just added tension.

Loving all these Tarrega pieces, just such a joy to learn :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Thanks for the feedback - which version did you listen to, the original or the one in the church?
The first one at top of post
Old 01-18-2021, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I like the first one best, but the 2nd one was nice too. You're using natural nails on your right hand? Good tone.

I can't stand having nails, but its the only way to get a decent sound with nylon.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I like the first one best, but the 2nd one was nice too. You're using natural nails on your right hand? Good tone.

I can't stand having nails, but its the only way to get a decent sound with nylon.

Thanks Barry, yes I use natural nails - wouldn’t dream of playing without them on steel or nylon.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
... it seems a little bright. A few of the string squeaks -which I generally like the sound of - for example are pretty spiky
First, can I say what a great job if you just got a nylon guitar before Christmas. Impressive in such a short time.

I much preferred the second recording (although both are good); great acoustic space - that's why so many nylon recordings are in churches. I also thought it was a touch bright however. A bright nylon tone could arise from several sources - the guitar and strings (i.e. fluorocarbon) and/or the recording are possible, but also the way it's played: When I moved from steel-string to nylon, I sounded much too bright myself and it took quite some time and effort to address this (I'm still trying...).

I needed to correct three things from my steel-string days to sound more mellow: A; Addressing the string at less of an acute angle and nail shape (i.e. use a ramp), B; Changing the way I plucked (by pushing down into the string and using rest strokes) and, C; changing right hand position - I note in your video you play between the soundhole and bridge pretty much all the time - simply moving towards the neck will fatten the sound considerably. You could try using more rest strokes etc.

Here is a great example from Tavi Jinariu, where he uses a lot of rest strokes and changes in right hand position: Wonderful!

The single thing that I found most useful when switching was Bill Kanegiser's Hot Licks videos. e.g this is fabulous. I'd never seen a steel-string tutorial go anywhere near this level of detail regarding how to simply pluck a string. My tone fattened up overnight and my steel-string playing improved as well:

Keep it up! Nylon requires so much more effort, but is so much more rewarding (IMHO!).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
First, can I say what a great job if you just got a nylon guitar before Christmas. Impressive in such a short time.

I much preferred the second recording (although both are good); great acoustic space - that's why so many nylon recordings are in churches. I also thought it was a touch bright however. A bright nylon tone could arise from several sources - the guitar and strings (i.e. fluorocarbon) and/or the recording are possible, but also the way it's played: When I moved from steel-string to nylon, I sounded much too bright myself and it took quite some time and effort to address this (I'm still trying...).

I needed to correct three things from my steel-string days to sound more mellow: A; Addressing the string at less of an acute angle and nail shape (i.e. use a ramp), B; Changing the way I plucked (by pushing down into the string and using rest strokes) and, C; changing right hand position - I note in your video you play between the soundhole and bridge pretty much all the time - simply moving towards the neck will fatten the sound considerably. You could try using more rest strokes etc.

Here is a great example from Tavi Jinariu, where he uses a lot of rest strokes and changes in right hand position: Wonderful!

The single thing that I found most useful when switching was Bill Kanegiser's Hot Licks videos. e.g this is fabulous. I'd never seen a steel-string tutorial go anywhere near this level of detail regarding how to simply pluck a string. My tone fattened up overnight and my steel-string playing improved as well:

Keep it up! Nylon requires so much more effort, but is so much more rewarding (IMHO!).

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for taking the time to offer such good advice, I appreciate it.

The church was lovely, but I did find the guitar harder to manage in such a lively environment, and also found it sounded brighter too than at home. I will go back and try again in a week or so.

My strings are nylon and my nails are pretty good, but you are spot in terms of right hand position relative to soundhole. I tried in this piece to play mostly rest strokes, but they are still a bit of a work in progress. I’d be interested if you find the version I recorded today and posted in show and tell also bright sounding - to me it sounded warmer and fatter.

I’ll watch the hot licks video, so thanks for that (l already listen to a lot of Tavi’s playing)

It’s a lovely instrument, I am a convert..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD