The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 AM

Default Shure MV88plus

Anyone using this with an Android phone, mine is a Galaxy S9. Just wondering on compatibility etc.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 11:29 AM

It's in the compatibility chart:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products...tibility-chart
Old 03-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Wonderful, thank you, I had not seen that chart. Perfect. Looks good then.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wonderful, thank you, I had not seen that chart. Perfect. Looks good then.
Hi Tom - did you get the MV88+ Video Kit? It looks like it would be a decent sounding, pretty complete solution for making videos. I've watched some video reviews on this, but would appreciate your input, if you've made the move.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Tom and I have been trading some PMs. I ordered the Shure MV88+ video kit; it should show up Wednesday or Thursday.

I am reading on the forum about people wanting to do Facebook Live or some YouTube videos at this time when we can't play out. Having done it before, with a DSLR shooting video, audio into a mixer, then feeding that to the camera, trying to sync it all up... well, this MV88+ and an iPhone looks like it will be a lot easier.

We'll see.

I have been looking at this kit for several weeks. I'm not saying this is the "new toilet paper," but places like Sweetwater and Guitar Center had it in stock a couple weeks ago. One place on Reverb even had it for 15% off. Not any more. Even Amazon is out of stock, with no anticipated shipping date. Seems to me that there is some current demand for it.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Tom and I have been trading some PMs. I ordered the Shure MV88+ video kit; it should show up Wednesday or Thursday.
Let us know how that works for you. For me, it doesn't solve the core issue of needing a mic that isn't as far away as the phone needs to be to frame yourself well. A USB mic that has a cord is more flexible as far as mic placement. But depending on your room acoustics, and what quality of sound you're looking for, it may work.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Let us know how that works for you. For me, it doesn't solve the core issue of needing a mic that isn't as far away as the phone needs to be to frame yourself well. A USB mic that has a cord is more flexible as far as mic placement. But depending on your room acoustics, and what quality of sound you're looking for, it may work.
I was looking at the Shure also. And your point about the mic and phone placement is a good one. Another thought about this type of connection (this mic has the connector right on it, with no cord) that someone pointed out in a review, is that it didn’t work with any kind of a case on their phone — the case doesn’t allow the Shure connector to go all the way in. That would be a nasty surprise, right?

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I was looking at the Shure also. And your point about the mic and phone placement is a good one. Another thought about this type of connection (this mic has the connector right on it, with no cord) that someone pointed out in a review, is that it didn’t work with any kind of a case on their phone — the case doesn’t allow the Shure connector to go all the way in. That would be a nasty surprise, right?
That would be for the MV88... the MV88+ is a different model that connects to the phone via cable. While the MV88+ Video Kit is designed to be used as a unit (hand-held or on the mini-tripod), it would seem to me that you could use a lightning extension cable to place the mic closer. (mount the mic on another mini-tripod)
Old 04-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That would be for the MV88... the MV88+ is a different model that connects to the phone via cable. While the MV88+ Video Kit is designed to be used as a unit (hand-held or on the mini-tripod), it would seem to me that you could use a lightning extension cable to place the mic closer. (mount the mic on another mini-tripod)
Ah, sounds like they discovered the need :-) I didn't realize there was a new version. I'm having good luck with either the Blue Raspberry, which already has a long cord, or better, the Apogee Duet, which lets me use any mics I want. Definitely pricier, tho.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

The MV88+ Video Kit arrived late today... we live on an island, and we are the last stop for the UPS driver.

I opened the box and pulled all the goodies out...

Having watched a bunch of videos, the set-up was a snap...

It was too late in the day to go after some music tests, but I did play with it, testing the audio difference between the iPhone with the Shure mic and the onboard iPhone mic - a significant difference.

You can adjust the mic for different patterns, set the gain, adjust EQ, presets for spoken, music, flat response, acoustic guitar, and loud. Each of those makes a reasonable difference.

Over the next couple days, I'll see how it does at recording live playing.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

First test of the MV88+ Video Kit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clqp...ature=youtu.be

The first part of the video is with the MV88+ mic, the last part is with the onboard mic of the iPhone 11 Pro. I was about 6 feet from the phone/mic, audio portion of the mic set flat. Mic set on 115º stereo.

Looks to me like being closer to the camera would be even better for the sound, but the mic picked up fine - you can see the mic level on the Motive app while shooting. This was done on the "selfie" camera on the phone (is that the back side or the front side??). The mini tripod was on Rufus the cat's tower, and seemed solid. Everything in the kit is solid and works well together. Fast and easy to set up, the longest part of this project was uploading to YouTube.

I am not a videographer nor a vlogger; this is an easier set up than using a DSLR for video. I haven't tried it for a Facebook Live posting, yet. Haven't tried one of those, yet, period.

More to come as I use it - first blush: I think I will get enough use out of this to justify buying it.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-17-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Playing/singing along with a previous recording to see how the MV88+ mic picks up from a Bose S1 and voice in the room...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFH...ature=youtu.be

In a smaller room than the previous test, similar video/audio settings.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-17-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Fixed youtube link
Old 04-11-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Good info — thank you!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM

By the way, folks, the on-line Apple store apparently has the Shure MV88+ kit in stock and ready to ship, in their Accessories area — same $249 price as I’ve seen elsewhere (but they’re all back-ordered!)....

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-11-2020, 12:23 PM

I just received my MV88+ yesterday. Easy to use. I will be playing around with the various settings over the next few days.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD