The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2002, 11:51 PM

Default Should I trade?

I need help! I found a dealer who has two Martins that really struck my fancy! One is a 00028VS, the other is a HD28VS, both are new, both are twelve fret'rs with slot headstocks....And the dealer is willing to TRADE for my Taylor W15 and a little more cash!!! I'm just a little worried about Martins Holding up as well as Taylors...I hear all the talk of Neck Resets etc. I hear the customer service sucks, etc. How many of you folk would trade a Fine Taylor W15 with a georgous piece of bookmatched walnut, with a nice grey sap line down the center for two vintage (re issue) martins? The Taylor plays really well....but.....the tone on the 00028VS is incredible for finger picking blues stuff.....
please offer advice, I must decide in the next couple days.

Floundering Flatfish
Old 07-30-2002, 04:52 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Nope!
Old 07-30-2002, 05:01 AM

Double Nope!!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:04 AM
meridian

The very fact that you have to ask the question says a lot.

If it were clear to you that you should do it, you would do it. If it isn't clear, it isn't right.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:11 AM

Both the Martins are great guitars but the rumors about neck resets are on mostly guitars that are 30 years old or more. It does happen on newer model but still not to much to worry about. If these martins are new maybe if they are used I wouldnt touch them. Martin as great a guitar as they build the customer service really does STINK. If I were you Id hold on to the W15 and save for a figerstyle guitar. Sometimes our minds get a little cloudy when it comes to guitar deals. Its that need for something differant or just to make a deal. just make sure you dont do something you may regret. Think it over a few days, go back and play the martins then make the call. Sometimes snap judgements can get us into a mess. Remember the dealer is there to make money not lose money. he is the one who comes out on top 99.9% of the time. Just a thought. JW
Old 07-30-2002, 08:39 AM

If you haven't taken the W15 in with you yet so you can compare them side by side, I'd do that. BTW, walnut is my favorite wood.
I'd keep it just because of that. But that's me.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:17 AM

Depending on what you mean by "and a little cash" I might be the only one here who would consider it a pretty good deal.

I'm not a huge fan of Martin dreads but I assume you may be, and the OOO28VS is an outstanding axe. The vintage series are much better than the standard and I may be biased because I love 12fretters.

Think long and hard, only you can make a decision you know you'll be happy with.

Derek
Old 07-30-2002, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leftydude
If you haven't taken the W15 in with you yet so you can compare them side by side, I'd do that. .
I agree with leftydude. Comparing your W15 in the shop with the Martins could be very beneficial. It's like comparing different models that the same shop has to offer. This approach of taking 1 of my own to a shop has helped me in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification