The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Tayloresque

Thanks Aruthas. Actually my *Carvin* is a 100w, 12" speaker, 3-channel (with different on-board effects assignable to two channel independently), 5-band Master EQ, XLR mic input on ch. 3, master volume, fully adjustable piezo horn -- all in a package only weighing 35lbs. I can have my Taylor, Strat and mic all plugged in at the same time, pre-set and ready to go. Set one guitar down, pick-up the other without messing with anything. If this POD is as good as I'm hearing it is, I'll be a very happy camper. I'll be looking into it.

Hope some others have some experiences to share running an electric thru a POD, thru an acoustic amp.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 08-01-2002, 08:10 AM

Is it possible to damage a acoustic amp playing a electric through it? I have heard that the distortion could damage the tweeter.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:20 AM
Tayloresque

Why Me --

I can't answer your question in general, but this is definitely NOT a problem for my Carvin AG100D. In fact it's designed to accommodate electric guitars and basses as well as acoustics. Part of the reason may lie in the fact that the piezo horn is fully adjustible on a 0 - 10 scale and can therefore be turned-off, or even disconnected by just pulling the jack out on the back. When I was researching acoustic amps prior to the purchase of my Carvin, the SWR California/Strawberry Blond amps are the only others that have a fully adjustible tweeter/piezo horn (so far as I could determine). The Carvin is the only 3 channel, and IMO, the best value for the $$$. The sound is quite good for both my acoustic and electric.

Tom
Old 08-01-2002, 08:27 AM

I use a Zoom 505II. Perhaps a poorman's version of a POD?

614ce
Gretsch Country Gent (67)
Ovation Balladeer
Old 08-01-2002, 08:08 PM
.tom the übergeek

I know some of the Yorkville and Peavey Keyboard amps make good acoustic amps and with a processed POD sound, I would think they could handle it. They are essentially a PA in a box.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Alright, folks who own a POD. Are you all on V2 software (2.2 or 2.3)? I know you probably save your 36 "Channel Program Memories". Have you Customized your amp models?

How have you organized your channel memories? Are you set up so that each bank of four has a couple of amp models, each with a couple of gain setups(rhythm and lead)? How about each bank having an amp and various effects? Are you designed around songs (first I start with th clean Deluxe, then go to the Marshall JTM-45 in brown zone, then the lead on the JCM-800, then the end of the song on the deluxe with chorus and delay...).

Or is it something else?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-02-2002, 06:14 PM
.tom the übergeek

I sort of did that.

I have some of my banks based on variations of an amp. Bank 7 is Dumble and Budda clean and gain channels.

Then I have themes. Bank 2 is U2-ish delay for A and B and some more Marillion lead sounds on C and D. Still lush delay but more gain than Edge would use.

I love the online editing. That rocks. I download a ton of sounds and just try them.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:56 AM

I keep the first four banks open and store all of my presets in the other 32. I then store the presets I need to use that day in the four open banks.

I use the FB4 and it does the job for me. I am sure the big floorboard is better, but I only have one good leg to work the buttons so simpler is better for me.

If you have never tried a POD, try one. They are a blast to play with, even if you are just using it at home. The tone transfer system is awesome for downloading tons of presets. There are so many out there. The choices are almost endless.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:34 PM

I've got a real dumb question about the pod. On my v2 pod,I have a real problem getting into the cabinet models and the alternate amp models 16-32... I hold the TAP button down but I must be doing something wrong because I just don't seem to get to these models all the time. Am I doing something wrong or is the unit faulty? Do you hold the TAP button down while changing the effects knob or ? Any help greatly appreciated

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification