The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Dreads have their place, like any other style. I do not particularly lean towards their place, but when I need/want to be in that place...then there they are.

But some people only want to be in a particular place, which is fine. If you live and breathe bluegrass, well, there 'ya go. NOT that other guitar shapes can not do bluegrass, just that dreads do bluegrass better than most (all?).

AFAIK, no guitar is totally pegged to any specific style. Those who say that dreads can not be used for fingerstyle are completely off-base. Of course they can. Perhaps other styles are better. It all is a matter of preferences.

Me, I do not really care for the look of dreads. They are OK, but do not turn me on.

I knew a guy who swore that the only REAL guitar was a dread. Horse puckey.

I remember a friend offered me his new D-35 to play (many many years ago). I was going to decline, as I did not care for dreads. But I did, and I changed my view. It was a truly awesome instrument. Then a while later another person offered me HIS d-35 to play. I eagerly accepted.

Meh. Booorrring.

All these "X as a class" ARE....insert statement here are nonsense. Sure, you can make vague general statements, but these precious pieces of wood and metal are, in the end individuals.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

I don’t love dreads anymore - now that my two acoustics are a 000 and a parlor, anytime I play a dread it feels like a monstrosity. And I don’t need the volume now. But back whe I was playing with other folks a lot and playing FOR other folks some, I had a gorgeous ‘68 Brazillian RW D-28 that was always kind of a beast to play but it sounded SOOOOO sweet! And if had some serious volume when called on too. I suspect if I still had that guitar I’d still love dreads even nthough I don’t have any need for one...
Old 09-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Martin designed a whole catalogue of guitar shaped and sizes for specific uses.

Until the announcement of the 14 fret rhythm guitar dread in 1934 Martin designed all their models - 2,1,0,00,000 and the 1931-33 12 fret dread to be equally balanced across the strings.
With the 14 fret dread (initially termed the "OM" and also the "bass" guitar) balance went out of the window.

That is what we associate , now, with the "Martin sound" - over balanced and bass prominent ... not saying I don't like it, but not what I use.

Coming from a primarily bluegrass and singer-songwriter background, I will always depend on my dreadnoughts when performing - because I need a medium gunge strings (12/13-56) on a standard scale with a good sized soundboard.

Collings has not subscribed to making bass heavy guitars, and retains the old mindset of balance across the strings, so as JMW01, and Vinnie Boombatz says the 12 fret (slope shoulder pre '34 design) dread is far superior to the 14 fret rhythm guitar.
Of course, when Martin designed all their models they did not anticipate the Dread as a guitar to be played seated and so the famed shoulder problems are probably about poor posture and playing seated.

Boombatz has also shown us his Gibson Advanced Jumbo a middle focussed guitar, along with his even more bassy D-35. The AJ does have a a standard scale but whilst a very attractive instrument has never really offered the depth and projection of a Martin dreadnought.

Mainly, one should choose the guitar design for your style of playing and your music.

If you don't need the string tension and projection of a dreadnought, the 000, especially the 12 fret standard scale 000 with light gauge (12-53) guitar has a remarkable balance and projection ...at least my Collings version does.

Because of my need for a wider fretboard rather than Martin rhythm style necks, I discovered the 12 fret dread , initially seeking the Martin D35-S but finally settling on the ideally (for me) design of the Collings DS series.

It seems that around 68,000 people found the following video of interest.
It was recorded whilst still struggling with the after effects of radio therapy last Christmas, but I hope you can understand my compromised speech.

See:
Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

I’d swore off dreds years ago, I just prefer smaller guitars. But I’d decided on a Martin D Jr for a cabin guitar without playing one and found I like the 7/8ths size dreadnaught a lot. It’s a fine addition.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:47 AM

It's all I've known. (Besides my favourite Rockabilly guys and flat pickers all played Dreadnoughts).
Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 AM

No.
I'm not with you.
I prefer dreadnoughts.

But, so what?
Preferences are as old as humans.
Why even bother starting such a contentious thread?

Are you under the mistaken (but very common) impression that a group that is the largest group is the most-correct group?
Good luck with that.

Preferences are merely that, preferences.

Last edited by Tico; 09-12-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 AM

For my solo playing they are not the most comfortable. I prefer short scale with light strings as I'm now an old guy with some arthritis issues and I very much prefer to play with a lighter finger style.

But I had a D-28 Authentic 1937 with a beautiful sound that was spectacular for filling a big room with sound. Acoustically it was a little loud for singing, but I occasionally accompany a room full of singers - no guitar better for that. The bottom end was really impressive.

But for my playing I traded it in on the Lowden.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 AM

For me, its a love-hate relationship. Some days, the 28 sounds so good. As for visual appeal, I prefer the looks of the J-45 much more. The Guild Jumbo is the best looker of them all. And yeah, the shoulder thing.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:07 AM

as you can seein my signature, that I dread the dread.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:11 AM

I decided a while back that dreads are not for me. Too loud and boomy for my voice and they make my shoulder hurt after a while.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 AM

I like them. Its like the Texas Ranger who was asked why he carried a .45. His reply, "Because they don't make a .46"
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 AM

I like 'em.....especially when their shoulders slope.....
I love Martin's Jumbo shape! Perfect!
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

I had a dread years ago a real nice D-18V. Fast forward past my electric years and I got into small 00 guitars. Since then I have owned a J-45 and a D-18VS. They didn't last long though. Between the balance, or lack of balance, and the stiffness I couldn't get into them. I do have a 00-18VS on they way.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-12-2018, 05:24 AM

My first "good" guitar was a Guild D40 Westerly. It had a cracked headstock that was professionally repaired. It was a wonderful guitar. I played that for about 3-4 years before getting a Taylor 410ce. I switched because the neck was so much easier for me to play plus I liked it. Over the years, I never went back to a Dreadnought and went toward Grand Auditoriums and OM /000 sizes. Now it is only OM/000/00 sizes due mainly to comfort. But that's just me. I love all guitars. If I were to get a "full size" guitar it would likely be a Gibson SJ or J45.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 AM

My son is a dedicated D-man. He played a couple dozen guitars on our last Elderly jaunt, but kept gravitating to the D's.

I on the other hand, find them boomy for my playing, whereas the O range is Just Right.

For my playing, I concur with the previous statements about the non-Martin high-end Dreads being more controlled, but even at that exalted budget I prefer Os.

Ford or Chevy?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion