The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 AM

Good luck...have fun!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
When I play solo, I bring several totally different guitars, so that the audience doesn't get bored with one tone. Different tunings, different keys, different tempos, different styles.
I like this idea. I usually bring a back up in case of a busted string or #1 not sounding right but I could see the logic in changing up sounds for songs.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I just got asked today to play my first Solo acoustic gig on the 22nd of this month. I've played onstage many times before BUT it's always been as part of our band or a duet. I'm a strict rhythm player and not a fancy one either. So my question to all of you is this. What should I do in songs where the lead guitar or solo takes place? I know this may be a silly question, but I've always had a lead guitar or another instrument to take a run and now it's just me and my guitar. I'm doing classic country, bluegrass and gospel songs and they're songs I've sung a lot, so I'm not worried about vocals, I just need guitar advice. I've wanted to learn to do solo gigs, but I've never jumped out there and tried.
I just play the chorus or verse but because I'm not singing I can make it more interesting with technic, I like the humming thing also, just started doing that also...

I'm the same...Singer-rhythm player...no chops other than picking technics
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 AM

The biggest thing about skipping over the lead section of a song is it shortens the song - all of a sudden 3:30 songs are under 3 minutes, so you need more songs to fill out a set list.
If this is a gig where people are listening/paying attention to you, then cutting most of the leads out is the best thing. Only do the humming/whistling/scatting for 'well known' lead parts, and don't do many of them, and avoid doing one song after another with them.

On the other hand, if you are just providing 'background' music, you can play through the lead part (on rhythm) as if someone else is there playing the lead.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

You might want to record your songs using these ideas to see what works best for you.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Back when all I did was strum chords I would still strum through the solo parts when I played solo gigs. Not singing for a verse never seemed to affect the audience. And it brought the added benefit that if/when I forgot the words that started a new verse I could naturally strum right through until I remembered the words and then go. Haha
Old 09-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The biggest thing about skipping over the lead section of a song is it shortens the song - all of a sudden 3:30 songs are under 3 minutes, so you need more songs to fill out a set list.
If this is a gig where people are listening/paying attention to you, then cutting most of the leads out is the best thing. Only do the humming/whistling/scatting for 'well known' lead parts, and don't do many of them, and avoid doing one song after another with them.

On the other hand, if you are just providing 'background' music, you can play through the lead part (on rhythm) as if someone else is there playing the lead.
THIS^^ is a really big thing. Be sure to have a bunch of songs at hand because going solo means your songs will be a lot shorter. Also remember that your audience isn't there to hear you play interesting melodic lead lines, they're there to sing along with you. They really don't care if a song doesn't have a lead in it as long as they can sing along to the lyrics.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Hum or scat the lead
Pick the notes within the chords
Sing an extra verse or chorus
Use a looper and play over yourself

All of the above to mix it up...
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM

I use fills as a way to make it interesting when I'm not singing. Also finger picking chords adds interest!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the replies!! There's some great advice in here and I can tell all of you have been in my shoes in your musical career!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-04-2018, 11:18 AM

I usually bring along a 12-string and a couple of harmonicas just to add some variety to the sound. I also play a few breaks using arpeggiated chords. Best of luck!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Do you ever use the chord shapes on the top 3 strings up the neck? You know, the G played as a D shape on the 7th fret, etc? They can be a simple way of adding a new voice for a chorus break, adding some sparkle and interest while keeping the flow of the tune going. I kind of arpeggiate these picking individual strings whether with fingers or a pick. Kind of halfway between a lead and the chord strumming going on in the tune.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Do you ever use the chord shapes on the top 3 strings up the neck? You know, the G played as a D shape on the 7th fret, etc? They can be a simple way of adding a new voice for a chorus break, adding some sparkle and interest while keeping the flow of the tune going. I kind of arpeggiate these picking individual strings whether with fingers or a pick. Kind of halfway between a lead and the chord strumming going on in the tune.
I like this advice!!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:30 PM

def all about vocals as others have said, a simple/soulful/in the pocket guitar part that supports the vocal is what works for me. play the songs a TON and focus on vocals - throw out fancy guitar parts.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Got my first solo gig in the bag!! I took all of the advice that each of you give to me and put it to use. I REALLY focused on my vocals and kept my guitar to a good clean rhythm part that blended with the music. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and doing this solo gig really made remember just how much I love playing music and feel very thankful that I've been blessed with musical talent. It was a birthday party with close to 100 people there so I'm hoping I'll get some more gigs out of it! Thanks again for all of the tips that you give!! It was greatly appreciated!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion