The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Wink Advice on nylon string gtr with pu $400-$600

hey I'm a new member here. being know that lots of expert here, so like to ask your opinions about a Walden N550CE guitar. it's around $410 & I knida like it. any comments/advice are more than welcome. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Hey Muzic - Welcome to the Forum. Is there anything specific that you like about the Walden? Have you played other classicals in that price range?

I've never played a Walden so I can't comment. I can say that the La Patrie Etude is about that price and it's made in Canada (Quebec). Great guitar with a solid cedar top.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM

If you like it then that's all that matters. If you are buying it to play through an amp then take your amp to the music store and try it out. Many budget guitars with pickups in the bridge tend to "quack" through an amp. High quality pickups and electronics sound better but you rarely find them on a $400 guitar. I say invest in the best guitar you can afford if you don't need to amp it now. I prefer to use a mic. Under the saddle pickups are OK if you are playing on stage with a band and don't want feedback. If you need to amplify and don't start with good electronics you will be spending more to upgrade later.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Muzic - Welcome to the Forum. Is there anything specific that you like about the Walden? Have you played other classicals in that price range?

I've never played a Walden so I can't comment. I can say that the La Patrie Etude is about that price and it's made in Canada (Quebec). Great guitar with a solid cedar top.
Thanks Dru. is the La Patrie Etude also has a pickup? I like Canadian made guitar as well. I'll check that out, probably can find it in Vancouver.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWG View Post
If you like it then that's all that matters. If you are buying it to play through an amp then take your amp to the music store and try it out. Many budget guitars with pickups in the bridge tend to "quack" through an amp. High quality pickups and electronics sound better but you rarely find them on a $400 guitar. I say invest in the best guitar you can afford if you don't need to amp it now. I prefer to use a mic. Under the saddle pickups are OK if you are playing on stage with a band and don't want feedback. If you need to amplify and don't start with good electronics you will be spending more to upgrade later.
Thanks RWG. this Walden has a Fishman pickup w/ preamp, so it looks like a good deal, but don't know if it's used/brand new. however, it looks like new! & I'd like to use it on stage & home recording.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM

I've not played Waldens either, but the best classical guitars I have played in that price range have all been LaPatrie guitars. They are genuinely nice instruments.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM

On stage solo or in an acoustic duo I think a mic gives you the best acoustic sound. For recording I also think a mic is best. Under the saddle pickups are great when you are playing with a loud band and need to crank up the watts. I bought a Manuel Rodriguez for $560 with case around 10 years ago and have been very happy with it. I also had a Dean Classic CE with a cutaway and a pickup. I traded it in on a nice mic because I eventually wanted better sound than the pickup on that guitar could produce.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical