The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD- Taylor 812E 12-fret

I've mostly been playing larger bodies- dreads (most recently a superb Yairi Masterworks DY-95) and a Taylor GS, but I've been having left wrist problems. Many write about how much easier the 12 frets are to play so I looked at what is out there at a "reasonable" price. I didn't want to lose much tonally, and most Concert and Parlor 12-frets are much smaller sounding, with anemic bass by my standards.
The Taylor 812, although a concert size, sounded appealing. The Taylors also have a shorter scale and thus a bit lower tension as well, both good by my spec. So I bought a very good used 2016 812, post re-design version.
I'm happy to say it is what I hoped for. While not as loud or powerful at the bottom end as my dread, it still gives a solid account down to the low E. The sustain is excellent as you might expect from Taylor, but there is a fair bit of warmth to the sound, un-Taylor like, and the top end is very clean and a bit reserved, also unexpected.
Overall, a bit warm and full tonally.
Most importantly, the ease of playing is off the charts, which is a real treat. My left wrist moves from the 1st to 12th fret with hardly a bend. Very comfortable.
It came with Elixir PB HD Lights, but I didn't care for the presentation, which seemed a bit hollow, but switching to D'Addario Nickel Bronze BT Lights gave me the tone and clarity I wanted.
So- the 812 12-fret is not a mini-dreadnought. Not as loud or powerful as the Yairi dread, with a bit less bass impact and projection, but it has a surprising strong voice and is very musical and satisfyingly full on its own terms.
Hopefully it will extend my playing a good while into the future.
I don't amplify, so I haven't evaluated the Expression 2.
Of course, the 812 is a Taylor- a lovely piece of work, with subtle, beautiful wood/abalone detailing all around. The spruce top in particular is reputedly the thinnest Taylor uses, and it has gorgeous silking from top to bottom (see last pic-much more prominent in the flesh).
All in all, I'm not sure there is a bigger sounding small guitar out there with this kind of playing comfort. I'm very pleased.
20180923_085754.jpg

20180923_085833.jpg

20180923_085938.jpg
20180925_145640.jpg

Last edited by jonbee; 09-28-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Congrats, sounds like a great guitar. Lets see it!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 PM

Congratulations. The 812’s can be very sweet instruments. Enjoy.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Congrats. I had a 812e 12 fret for a while. Taylor makes some gorgeous guitars.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 PM

I've had one as well for the last few months and loving it. Good write up by the way. I'm feeling it has plenty of volume when you dig in, and does play superb. Playing a lot of drop D tuning which really gives it a good bottom end. Really a great guitar.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:40 AM

Congrats on your Taylor and for the nice review. 🙂

I had the good fortune to play a 912ce 12 fret this summer and had very much the same reaction as you did with the 812. So comfortable to play and simple chords just sounded wonderful. Two months on and I’m still thinking about that guitar almost daily. What’s a fella to do?! 😎
Ibanez AS93-VLS

“I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.” ― Fernando Pessoa
Old 09-23-2018, 04:22 AM

Good choice! Need pics!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

The AP re-designed 812 is one of Taylor’s best guitars. It can really do a lot and it is so comfortable to play. Plus, it’s so pretty to look at, the aesthetics are just right. Congrats and have a lot of fun with it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 AM

Sweet! Congrats and enjoy the 12-fret.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 AM

I have a walnut back/sides and maple necked 12 fret. LOL, it's an oddball guitar and I feel like it's a mix of a 600 and 800 series with no real identity. It was built before the redesign.

I recently played a new 812ce DLX. Sounded every bit as full as my walnut 12 fret. Would love to hear a non-cutaway 12 fret at some point. If I would have probably picked the new 12 fret over mine if I had the option to do over.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbee View Post
I've mostly been playing larger bodies- dreads (most recently a superb Yairi Masterworks DY-95) and a Taylor GS, but I've been having left wrist problems. Many write about how much easier the 12 frets are to play so I looked at what is out there at a "reasonable" price. I didn't want to lose much tonally, and most Concert and Parlor 12-frets are much smaller sounding, with anemic bass by my standards.
The Taylor 812, although a concert size, sounded appealing. The Taylors also have a shorter scale and thus a bit lower tension as well, both good by my spec. So I bought a very good used 2016 812, post re-design version.
I'm happy to say it is what I hoped for. While not as loud or powerful at the bottom end as my dread, it still gives a solid account down to the low E. The sustain is excellent as you might expect from Taylor, but there is a fair bit of warmth to the sound, un-Taylor like, and the top end is very clean and a bit reserved, also unexpected.
Overall, a bit warm and full tonally.
Most importantly, the ease of playing is off the charts, which is a real treat. My left wrist moves from the 1st to 12th fret with hardly a bend. Very comfortable.
It came with Elixir PB HD Lights, but I didn't care for the presentation, which seemed a bit hollow, but switching to D'Addario Nickel Bronze BT Lights gave me the tone and clarity I wanted.
So- the 812 12-fret is not a mini-dreadnought. Not as loud or powerful as the Yairi dread, with a bit less bass impact and projection, but it has a surprising strong voice and is very musical and satisfyingly full on its own terms.
Hopefully it will extend my playing a good while into the future.
I don't amplify, so I haven't evaluated the Expression 2.
Of course, the 812 is a Taylor- a lovely piece of work. The spruce top in particular is reputedly the thinnest Taylor uses, and it has gorgeous silking from top to bottom.
All in all, I'm not sure there is a bigger sounding small guitar out there with this kind of playing comfort. I'm very pleased.
Congratulations On Acquiring Your Taylor! Now apply a John Pearse SlimLine Armrest to your Taylor and take that wonderful tone to another level!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Congratulations On Acquiring Your Taylor! Now apply a John Pearse SlimLine Armrest to your Taylor and take that wonderful tone to another level!
Already done!
I consider them to be indispensable.
Also, just visible on the lower side is a De Oro Flamenco Loco Guitar Support. It lifts the guitar a bit higher and allows angle adjustment in 2 dimensions. It makes it even more comfortable. Attaches and adjusts easily, doesn't damage the finish.

Last edited by jonbee; 09-23-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbee View Post
Already done!
I consider them to be indispensable.
Also, just visible on the lower side is a De Oro Flamenco Loco Guitar Support. It lifts the guitar a bit higher and allows angle adjustment in 2 dimensions. It makes it even more comfortable. Attaches and adjusts easily, doesn't damage the finish.
Well Done, Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I've been playing it for a week now. The new strings have settled in, and I can say I really love this instrument. It has gorgeous, balanced tone, plays without strain, and fits my body like a glove. Looks fantastic too. After trying a dozen or so fine guitars I've recently owned, I think this is THE one for the long haul.
I think Taylor got this one very right for my purposes.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion