The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 AM

After a little googling I guess that this is the small body studio.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...BoCiQgQAvD_BwE

Edit: I see that Rev Roy beat me too it. Thanks for posting the video, I don’t know there was one out there.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
https://store.gibson.com/products/j-45-studio-2019/

..Should have just kept the J-15 a separate model.
Thoughts?
"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

Wm. Shakspeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, Scene 2
Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
...Is the J-15 maybe too good of a guitar...
Hey, that's exactly how many a fine low-/mid-priced Nazareth product died an untimely death over the last three decades - and having played a few dozen J-15's I'd be inclined to agree...
Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM

Well, I'll let you all know. I just ordered a Hummingbird Studio from Sweetwater. It should be here Saturday.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshax View Post
Well, I'll let you all know. I just ordered a Hummingbird Studio from Sweetwater. It should be here Saturday.

All of these studio models sound pretty darn good. Curious what they are like in person.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 AM

Gibson has always been about unpredictable, confusing moves. This is all in their tradition.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM

It’s a curious move for sure, but one that makes complete sense to me. I mean, having a studio model of every standard offering makes sense right? I think if they were smart, they could find a way to make the J-15 line more affordable now and reach a whole new category of players. Imagine if the J-15 could somehow become the entry point at a sub $999 price point. Wouldn’t that be sweet?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
It’s a curious move for sure, but one that makes complete sense to me. I mean, having a studio model of every standard offering makes sense right? I think if they were smart, they could find a way to make the J-15 line more affordable now and reach a whole new category of players. Imagine if the J-15 could somehow become the entry point at a sub $999 price point. Wouldn’t that be sweet?
I think $1,150 would be perfect for the J-15. Just a bit pricier than the all solid imports.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The last $999 Gibson acoustic guitar that I recall is the J45 (wm) workingman. It was a very good guitar made for players. I had the opportunity to get a really good one and always regretted not doing so, and when the J-15 was first introduced I couldn't wait to try one. Once I did there was no hesitation and no regret. I have had it since July of last year and couldn't be happier with it.

The J-15 seems a bit fancier than the WM45, but it is still not very fancy, so maybe $1k or slightly north of it is possible. I bought mine new for $1,300. I did know the store manager and have dealt with him for years, so that helped.

The Studio line...Maybe it will be successful, but these instruments with their thinner bodies seem more geared to performing types to me, as far as construction, than a studio guitar. The standard J45 is a fine recording guitar. I would think of it to be more of a studio guitar than something thinner, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm intrigued.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 PM

I was able to get an “unopened return” from a dealer of a 2018 J15 walnut burst for $1500 total cost shipped to my door and it’s just been an absolute treat of a guitar. I flat out preferred it to the J45s I tried due to the tiny bit more treble bite (due to the walnut more than the maple neck, I think). It still has that trademarked Gibson slope shoulder thump, but really cuts through for flat picked single note solos, which I do a lot in the acoustic duo gig I do frequently. But it’s also a powerhouse strummer. Wouldn’t be my first choice for fingerstyle bluegrass or a pure strummer, but absolutely perfect for a “rock guitarists acoustic.

Glad to see that while the J15 isn’t being “emphasized” in the 2019 line, it still exists.

The thin bodied “studio” guitars, I’ve tried them, and in person they’re not particularly powerful, but they sound great through a PA. I prefer the in person power of the full depth, given my preference, but you wouldn’t regret the thin bodied guitars so long as you were mostly either recording them or running through a PA.

The walnut burst J15s, I think are just so perfectly in the sweetspot of being a work horse guitar, with just the right look, and absolute killer playability without compromising tone. With a little bit of lemon oil, I think you’d be very hard pressed to tell the difference in look and feel with the walnut bridge and fretboard and actual rosewood.

I think the mini Grovers are fine after living with them for several months.

Also, to those thinking the slope shoulder Gibsons of the last few years don’t have the “thump” of a vintage Gibson, that’ll happen with a few months of heavy play. Vintage Gibsons have that thump because they’ve been played for years. Not because the wood was magical. It’s just playing that opens up the resonance. Not “old wood” or whatever. My J15 has blossomed quite nicely to a very classic Gibson grid, with just a touch more top end definition than a J45. But not at all bright like a Taylor is.

To me the J15s sound like 3/4 J45s and 1/4 D18. Nowhere near the Mid scooped Martin sound, but just a touch in that direction compared to a J45. Just the perfect balance to me. It sounds like what an acoustic guitar should sound like in my head.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Just picked up a J45 Studio today. I never liked any J15 that I picked up, so I was a little skeptical of the new Studio. That being said, these 45’s sound SO much better to my ears than the 15’s. I look forward to spending lots of time with this guitar! And it’s so dang comfortable with the thinner body!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:37 AM

If Gibson really wants to do some good, lower the price on current models. Customers are paying about 50% for the name, of course. They could offer a 25% to 35% discount on what they currently make, and run out of them quickly.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 PM

I see that the new J-45 Studio necks have a flatter 16 radius. I actually greatly prefer the 12 necks on the J-15 and other Gibbies, for strumming purposes.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
(Apparently you must need to buy the Vintage model to get the thump?)
Nope, you just need to find the right one. There are plenty of great examples out there, and like just about anything else... some not so great examples.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 PM

I tried a few J-15's and mildly liked them. Not fond of the maple neck.

By chance, I tried a new J-45 Studio today. Immediately loved the feel (mahogany neck and body depth) and the tone. I was looking for a nice, affordable Gibson .... so it's home with me now. Nice job Gibson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion