The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Addressing a question several asked about getting the AirTag returned. I prepared a self-addressed, padded mailer to include in the guitar case, and went to USPS to figure out and pre-pay/affix postage.
That was your mistake. going to the post office. Most people have a PayPal account and you can pay for USPS postage from within. In fact, you get a small discount when you do. If need be, which it would in this case, I'd weigh the mailer on my kitchen scale, input the info into PayPal shipping, and print out a pre-paid label. I do this frequently and have been for years. Many people mistakenly believe something has to be purchased through PayPal in order to ship through Paypal. Not so.

On personal accounts PayPal sort of obscures the shipping function. once you're logged in edit and add "shipnow" to the url so it looks like this: paypal.com\shipnow then hit return.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-24-2022, 09:49 PM

Going to the Post Office is a "mistake"? That's a new one. Believe me when I say that not everyone has PayPal account and even fewer have kitchen scales. Seems like the Post Office might be the best answer for the majority of people with packages of unknown weight plus your package is then instantly placed into the stream of postage so no need to worry about pickup either. Ultimately the issue is that the shipment would contain the apparently prohibited lithium battery either way. To each their own I guess.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Ultimately the issue is that the shipment would contain the apparently prohibited lithium battery either way.
Good response. My only clarification on the above part of your post is the lithium battery isn't prohibited, but it does need to be confirmed as 'safe' (within a device, and in appropriate packaging) to be accepted by USPS. Graylocks' suggestion is a way around USPS policy, and of course would work. Since the shipment truly will be safe, that's a rule work-around but not an objectively wrong act. For me, I'd prefer to do it their way, not worry about breaking a shipping rule, and be confident the AirTag will be sent without possible hassles. In the end, a personal decision.

From my view, it's a minor ask for a buyer to make an extra trip to ship it. They get added value from the enhanced tracking and confidence in the shipment, so it seems a reasonable ask in return. I would gladly do it if I were the buyer/recipient.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Great information on the use of an AirTag for guitar shipping.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Going to the Post Office is a "mistake"? That's a new one.
I avoid the post office lines period and that was true before covid. I have a PO Box there and the clerks have watched my son grow over the years and continue to ask about him though he's now approaching 30. I did have occasion to stand in line for service at one point last year and the clerk said Long time. No see! I laughed and said yes, i do everything I can not to have to stand in a line.

Towards no line standing a kitchen scale is a useful tool. I also have a larger shipping scale as I need to ship CDs by the box sometimes. I do this through USPS or UPS via PayPal and take them to the respective drop off point. If you sell guitars a lot it would pay to have your own scale to weigh and prepaid label in advance as there's usually a discount. In a case of shipping an AirTag, no I don't think not being concerned about the lithium labeling is a sign of moral failure.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-25-2022, 04:06 PM

Before things get too heated, let me just suggest a site called "PirateShip" as an alternative to eBay/PayPal/Post Office shipping.

The site is free, lets you buy the same discounted USPS commercial rate that eBay offers and they don't spam you forever once they have your email. Once you put in your weight and dimensions you can pick your price, print the label, get tracking then drop it off to a mailbox. I've used it quite a few times and have been very happy with it.

And thanks to the OP about trying out the AirPods. Neat idea. I'm gonna offer it as a $25 option refundable upon return for my next guitar sale.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post

And thanks to the OP about trying out the AirPods. Neat idea. I'm gonna offer it as a $25 option refundable upon return for my next guitar sale.
I'm interested that you would offer it as an option to the purchaser who really takes no risk in the transaction. I mean, yes, they have some stake in that they want the guitar, but if the shipment is lost or mis-delivered you are the one who potentially bears all of the cost because not only would the guitar be gone, you'd have to return the purchaser's money. Using the pod is for your protection and the charge to the purchaser is just to ensure that the device is returned. Having had an instrument mis-delivered - luckily rectified - I would make this SOP, but that's just my .02!
Old 01-25-2022, 05:29 PM

Is this an option for Windows or Android users? I don't own any Apple products. If not w AirTag are there non-Apple equivalents? Very cool and thanks for sharing this info, thanks.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks Andy!

Excellent information above! I was wondering when someone would post about using one of these. I guess it’s time to invest in a few, and maybe sell a couple guitars too…

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Great question! There's no technical reason I can think of that an iMac (or a Windows computer, or Android phone) couldn't get similar software-based location updates. Apple appears to have chosen for now to keep AirTag only for iPhone - though that could change in the future. Anybody hear or know differently?
Maybe Im missing something here, but any device that can run the “find my” app can locate an air tag. My phone, tablet, and macbook all have it.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-25-2022, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Maybe Im missing something here, but any device that can run the “find my” app can locate an air tag. My phone, tablet, and macbook all have it.
The Find My app was introduced for the Mac with the Catalina OS. So a mac running an OS older than Catalina won't have the app. I understand Apple is working on an Android app that will let non-iPhone users find out who is tracking them if they discover an AirTag that's being used to track them.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

This is a really clever idea. I just hope I can remember it when the need arises!
Old 01-26-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I'm interested that you would offer it as an option to the purchaser who really takes no risk in the transaction. I mean, yes, they have some stake in that they want the guitar, but if the shipment is lost or mis-delivered you are the one who potentially bears all of the cost because not only would the guitar be gone, you'd have to return the purchaser's money. Using the pod is for your protection and the charge to the purchaser is just to ensure that the device is returned. Having had an instrument mis-delivered - luckily rectified - I would make this SOP, but that's just my .02!
I'll admit I haven't worked out every nuance of the offer since every guitar I've ever sold arrived safely. I generally buy full value insurance coverage when shipping FedEx with video of me packing the box, so I'm not that insecure about that I guess. My future guitar sales are gonna be about a grand so I kinda doubt anyone would spring for the $25 upcharge even if refundable so there's that. . .
Old 01-26-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Is this an option for Windows or Android users? I don't own any Apple products. If not w AirTag are there non-Apple equivalents? Very cool and thanks for sharing this info, thanks.

There's a product called Tile that's been around for years but in order to locate the tile tag has to connect to a phone that has the Tile app on their phone. AirTags connect through any apple device running bluetooth so the chances of locating are much higher especially in the US which has a high number of iphone users. I heard a stat yesterday the 74% of people in the US between 18-24 have an iphone.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-26-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
There's a product called Tile that's been around for years but in order to locate the tile tag has to connect to a phone that has the Tile app on their phone. AirTags connect through any apple device running bluetooth so the chances of locating are much higher especially in the US which has a high number of iphone users. I heard a stat yesterday the 74% of people in the US between 18-24 have an iphone.
True and don't forget, Apple is using these people's iPhones to ping off of. Often without their owner's knowledge or consent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion