The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
FWI You can still get a John Pearse Fast Turtle casein pick for under $10.
Thanks, I was just responding to the comment after checking out the link.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffhead2112 View Post
I've been gigging with the D'Addario Casein Chris Thile Pick. Feels & sounds great, beveled edges on each corner, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ignature-pick/
My Thile bent like a potato chip.

So far, my favorite picks are Charmed Life Vespel and Casein large triangles. I also like the smooth Primetones and D'Andrea Pro Plecs.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 01-24-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I actually used D’Addario rewards points on one of these, so it was “free”. I like the pick too… I will say that the material is not as rigid as a BC… It sort of molded around my thumb after a few heavy playing sessions. Which is not a terrible thing as it helps with grip, but just to put that out there. I find them to be a bit brighter than BC as well.
I bought my Chris Thile pick as an inside joke so "inside" that only I laugh at it.* Mine hasn't cupped or potato-chipped yet, but I have other picks that almost invariably do (D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 large triangles for example). Like you, I think I regard mild cupping as "a feature not a bug." The current Thile pick seems more immune to pick noise than many others.

*OK, here's the joke I tell myself: "My playing skills may be suspect -- but listen bub, when you retired they had to bring in Chris Thile to replace you!" See, a real knee-slapper, which is why one should always read footnotes. Explanation to further dampen the humor: I retired from a radio network/program production company that once produced Prairie Home Companion at exactly the same time as the transition from Garrison Keillor to Chris Thile as host of that show.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-25-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Since I notice a difference in sound between those two Primetones too -- that space is getting larger with more people in it.

A theory that could explain it is that even if they start with the same material, that the opaque dye or some other manufacturing process makes a difference.

Yes, they are both have asymmetrical "speed bevels."

I generally don't care for the translucent "grip" version of the Primetones on acoustic guitar, but I do use them sometimes on electric guitar.
Ok sounds like they are a different material. That finally answers my question. Had to ask because I've only seen the grip ones. I can't hold a smooth pick in my fingers to save my life.

Last edited by Italuke; 01-25-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-11-2022, 11:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I bought my Chris Thile pick as an inside joke so "inside" that only I laugh at it.* Mine hasn't cupped or potato-chipped yet, but I have other picks that almost invariably do (D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 large triangles for example). Like you, I think I regard mild cupping as "a feature not a bug." The current Thile pick seems more immune to pick noise than many others.

*OK, here's the joke I tell myself: "My playing skills may be suspect -- but listen bub, when you retired they had to bring in Chris Thile to replace you!" See, a real knee-slapper, which is why one should always read footnotes. Explanation to further dampen the humor: I retired from a radio network/program production company that once produced Prairie Home Companion at exactly the same time as the transition from Garrison Keillor to Chris Thile as host of that show.
I get the joke, Frank.

Poor Chris. I sure wouldn't wanna try and replace the best American storyteller since Mark Twain. He (Chris) does seem to have bounced back, though.

sm
Old 02-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I get the joke, Frank.

Poor Chris. I sure wouldn't wanna try and replace the best American storyteller since Mark Twain. He (Chris) does seem to have bounced back, though.

sm
Chris/Live from Here was about the second or third attempt of my company's production arm to do something like the PHC format without Keillor. I enjoyed all three myself, but it's a tough business. One program director commented to me somewhere around 2010 or so that "Prairie Home Companion is a lousy idea for a show -- unless you have Garrison Keillor hosting it."

Now back to the usual pick nerd discussion already in progress...

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-12-2022, 11:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Chris/Live from Here was about the second or third attempt of my company's production arm to do something like the PHC format without Keillor. I enjoyed all three myself, but it's a tough business. One program director commented to me somewhere around 2010 or so that "Prairie Home Companion is a lousy idea for a show -- unless you have Garrison Keillor hosting it."

Now back to the usual pick nerd discussion already in progress...
Frank, thanks for the insights on PHC. It always seemed like a strange show to me as well -- in a good way. I was startled by its success. I grew up in the Midwest, and so much of that world rings true to me.

Another thing, Frank, that really intrigues me. Almost all our greatest and most popular humorists have come from the Midwest, or at least the center of our country -- Garrison (MN), Johnny Carson (NB), Dick Cavett (NB), Mark Twain (MO), Will Rogers (OK), David Letterman (IN), Oprah (MS). I find this fascinating. What do you think of that? It's almost like their geographical centeredness has placed them in the center of our affections.

There are exceptions of course (Jay Leno is from the East Coast), but I find this a remarkable pattern.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 02-12-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Frank, thanks for the insights on PHC. It always seemed like a strange show to me as well -- in a good way. I was startled by its success. I grew up in the Midwest, and so much of that world rings true to me.

Another thing, Frank, that really intrigues me. Almost all our greatest and most popular humorists have come from the Midwest, or at least the center of our country -- Garrison (MN), Johnny Carson (NB), Dick Cavett (NB), Mark Twain (MO), Will Rogers (OK), David Letterman (IN), Oprah (MS). I find this fascinating. What do you think of that? It's almost like their geographical centeredness has placed them in the center of our affections.

There are exceptions of course (Jay Leno is from the East Coast), but I find this a remarkable pattern.

scott memmer
We are busting the thread here, but yes, that's an interesting question/observation. My field of interest/knowledge is more at poetry and music, but from what I know of humor there's a huge 2nd generation immigrant contribution that in the 20th century was largely East Coast landing and upbringing.* Yet, some of our humor tradition starts with Twain and his contemporaries, and those echos are still present. Joke tactics used by Twain or Artemas Ward** still work today, just with new material specifics replacing antique particulars.

*And sometimes it's both Midwest and immigrant. e.g. in poetry/music field: one of my favorite poets (and folk music revivalist) Carl Sandburg 2nd generation immigrant and son of the Midwest. Or Bob Dylan, 3rd generation, but still as I once said "born non-ferrous on the Iron Range in Minnesota."

**Ward was born in Maine, but broke out in Cleveland.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Thanks I will give Primetones smooth a try.
I went on the website but the do no list the actual dimensions of the pick. The Blue Chip I am using is triangular 30mm long by 30mm wide.
Does anybody know what the measurements of the Primetone Standard smooth versus the Primetone smooth Triangle are? Lot's oh thickness of the smooth, but only two in the triangle.
This link shows BC vs PT pick sizes. I use both and find the thicker (1.5mm and up) PTs to sound closer.

https://umgf.com/primetone-bluechip-...e-t198189.html

PT "Standard"

BC "TD"

PT "Triangle"

BC "TAD"

Last edited by zoopeda; 02-13-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 02-23-2022, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
We are busting the thread here, but yes, that's an interesting question/observation. My field of interest/knowledge is more at poetry and music, but from what I know of humor there's a huge 2nd generation immigrant contribution that in the 20th century was largely East Coast landing and upbringing.* Yet, some of our humor tradition starts with Twain and his contemporaries, and those echos are still present. Joke tactics used by Twain or Artemas Ward** still work today, just with new material specifics replacing antique particulars.

*And sometimes it's both Midwest and immigrant. e.g. in poetry/music field: one of my favorite poets (and folk music revivalist) Carl Sandburg 2nd generation immigrant and son of the Midwest. Or Bob Dylan, 3rd generation, but still as I once said "born non-ferrous on the Iron Range in Minnesota."

**Ward was born in Maine, but broke out in Cleveland.
Frank, sorry for the delay, I just saw this.

Yes, we are going far afield. I feel I'm about to get my hand slapped.

Thanks for the background on Ward; I never knew that. I grew up in Cleveland.

Behave yourself,
scott
Old 02-24-2022, 02:32 AM

I also think that the soft peaks of primetone are the closest thing to the Blue Chip that I have tried. Too bad there are no 1.00 mm in large triangular size.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion