The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 07:58 PM

I don't know why they sound different but they do - I have some of both and buried the grips in the bottom of picks never to be seen again. I do not like them. The smooths sound great to me. I alternate between the prime tone smooths in a few different thicknesses, Fender mediums and heavies and a blue ship TD 35. I don't like the thicker blue chips. If you want some prime tone grips, I have .73, .88 and 1.4s I will never use again. PM me and I will mail them to you.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that the EDGES of the non grip picks are different than the edges of the grip ones?.
I mean, have you seen how different the smooth picks look compared to the grippy ones? They are not the same. Just gotta try them!
Old 01-23-2022, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I don't know why they sound different but they do - I have some of both and buried the grips in the bottom of picks never to be seen again. I do not like them. The smooths sound great to me. I alternate between the prime tone smooths in a few different thicknesses, Fender mediums and heavies and a blue ship TD 35. I don't like the thicker blue chips. If you want some prime tone grips, I have .73, .88 and 1.4s I will never use again. PM me and I will mail them to you.
Agree Tiffany, and cant figure out why either... the smooth picks do sound different...and better to my ears.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-23-2022, 09:30 PM

To enlarge a bit:
Primetones come in many thicknesses, shapes, sizes. The edges are beveled nicely.They are cheap enough you can try many. A notable feature is that they make little string noise - scraping and clicking. I prefer the textured ones, to help me take consistent grip. You have to try various on line dealers to find them all. - Stevo
Old 01-23-2022, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Thanks so much TiffanyGuitar.
I sent you a private message.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 AM

This is crazy. So all of you are saying that the smooth sided Primetones have "nicely beveled" edges, the implication being that the grippy ones do not?

I'll go out on a limb here and respectfully say you're all wrong: I just referenced the Dunlop website. Guess what, both the smooth and the grip descriptions (I checked the 1.5mm of both series) contain the EXACT SAME verbiage:

"The tried and true standard shape gets a hand burnished beveled edge..."

Methinks the difference in sound is between your ears rather than in them.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is crazy. So all of you are saying that the smooth sided Primetones have "nicely beveled" edges, the implication being that the grippy ones do not?

I'll go out on a limb here and respectfully say you're all wrong: I just referenced the Dunlop website. Guess what, both the smooth and the grip descriptions (I checked the 1.5mm of both series) contain the EXACT SAME verbiage:

I don’t remember much about the bevel, but the smooth brown primetones definitely sound different from the redder grippy ones. It feels like a different material.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Primarily use a BC TD50 but when I use something else it’s a PrimeTone 1.4mm in a Jazz III shape. I consider them to be very different picks.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:17 AM

I prefer Dunlop Tortex Flex (large triangle) to Primetones… I find both the smooth and the textured Primetones to be a little cold sounding. The smooths are a little better sounding but they don’t grip very well.

Of course Blue Chips are the best, but in a pinch I’d go with a Dunlop. And they’re pretty cheap, to boot!
Old 01-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that the EDGES of the non grip picks are different than the edges of the grip ones? I dunno how everyone else plays but for me only the tip and MAYBE a tiny bit of the side surface touch the strings. I'm looking at a grip Primetone right now and it is smooth for a good 3/8 inch before the raised stuff starts. Can't imagine anyone touches the string with the raised grippy part.
….it’s possible that the two Primetones I’m comparing are different than the ones you’ve used…..I haven’t tried all of the Primetones….

….….the raised logo one I have is semi translucent and kinda root beer colored….while the edge is beveled nicely it’s a different material and texture than the opaque taupe colored smooth Primetones I have….and it’s got a little bit of of scratchiness and clickiness to the tone compared to the smooth Primetones….to be clear…these are the two picks I’m comparing…

https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-...ip-pick-1-5mm/

https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-...th-pick-1-5mm/

Last edited by J Patrick; 01-24-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Since I notice a difference in sound between those two Primetones too -- that space is getting larger with more people in it.

A theory that could explain it is that even if they start with the same material, that the opaque dye or some other manufacturing process makes a difference.

Yes, they are both have asymmetrical "speed bevels."

I generally don't care for the translucent "grip" version of the Primetones on acoustic guitar, but I do use them sometimes on electric guitar.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-24-2022, 12:54 PM

I've been gigging with the D'Addario Casein Chris Thile Pick. Feels & sounds great, beveled edges on each corner, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ignature-pick/
Old 01-24-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffhead2112 View Post
I've been gigging with the D'Addario Casein Chris Thile Pick. Feels & sounds great, beveled edges on each corner, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ignature-pick/
$27? For a pick? That's at the very least an arm AFAIC.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I actually used D’Addario rewards points on one of these, so it was “free”. I like the pick too… I will say that the material is not as rigid as a BC… It sort of molded around my thumb after a few heavy playing sessions. Which is not a terrible thing as it helps with grip, but just to put that out there. I find them to be a bit brighter than BC as well.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
FWI You can still get a John Pearse Fast Turtle casein pick for under $10.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion